• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't have to have a colorguard. I'm sorry to all of the colorguard people out there, but colorguard is an extra. All that is required for marching band is marching and playing. Now, colorguard often adds a lot of integral content to most shows, but a band that doesn't have a colorguard shouldn't be penalized. Some schools (mostly small ones) don't have enough students to be able to make up a decent colorguard, and so they forgo them.

UIL is designed to judge the members of the band (including the colorguard if they exist), not the show designers, and so it is accepting of all show styles (Corps, Military, Show, etc) regardless of content (other than difficulty).

In fact, you theoretically don't even need a colorguard in BOA because it is never specifically mentioned on any of the judging criteria. Not even Visual GE.

Oh, and UIL DOES have GE as a part of it's sheets, it just isn't specifically called GE and it only covers the How portion of what BOA calls GE, and not the What.

A director as a DM is legal in most circuits.

The general rule in most circuits is that non-students can help so long as they don't contribute to the show itself (music, marching, tossing flags, etc). So, parents can move flags around and directors can conduct, but they can't toss a flag to a guard member or change the volume on the electronics.

Our colorguard is going to be great next year. We will have 17 maybe the most in all of Frisco

quality, not quantity.

we'll have about 20. Brian Greenleaf is a colorguard god. Now that we have a guard that consistently places top 4 in every competition, I think we have a much better shot at state than we have had in years (only 1) past.

True, I saw the guy in colorguard next year, and I don't want to be mean, but... he is kind of unusual... to say the least. We also got a freaking amazing oboe player. How she is only a freshman I have no idea. We also are having a vocalist in our show this year in I think the second movement. Could be wrong. Oh man, I just realized I have Leadership training next week.

A director as a DM is legal in most circuits.

The general rule in most circuits is that non-students can help so long as they don't contribute to the show itself (music, marching, tossing flags, etc). So, parents can move flags around and directors can conduct, but they can't toss a flag to a guard member or change the volume on the electronics.

i remember at state in 2004 a bd (im not saying from what school) was giving hand signals,from the stands, to some kid who was working the sound system during a show...

You know, I don't like vocalists in marching shows. I remember seeing someone at BOA (I don't remember who) that had a really kick butt show in my opinion, and then the singer came out and annoyed me to the point where I wanted to mute the tv. :/

And I didn't know a director could conduct you. That's sort of iffy.I don't think that should be legal in any circuits.

i remember at state in 2004 a bd (im not saying from what school) was giving hand signals,from the stands, to some kid who was working the sound system during a show...

I've seen some that use a cell-phone to talk to a kid in the pit to control volume levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious to see how everybody feels about how their band is progressing, now that most of us have gotten through a portion of our show.

I'd hafta say that our drill this year so far is really unlike anything I've ever seen. Not quite sure how it works out w/ the music and everything, simply cus I havent seen video of us practicing, but I'm liking it so far.