Waxahachie

Region 21

Whitehouse

Hallsville

Henderson

Jacksonville

Lindale

Nacagdoches

I'd give a comment about all of them, but I honestly haven't seen enough bands in these areas.

I do feel like area A's stand out's are:

Azle

Denton

Fossil Ridge

Saginaw

B:

Birdville

Aledo

Southwest

The Colony

Centennial

Sherman

C:

Mckinney (all 3)

JJ Pearce

Poteet (duh)

Waxahachie

D:

Waco

Connally

Hendrickson

F:

Dickinson

Friendswood

I'm sure there are more out there, but those are just based off of who I've seen before or who I've heard of.

Actually, the McKinney schools are in Region 25 and Area B. They marched at the Region 3 contest in 06 due to some kind of scheduling conflict.

WTF happened to Area E?! 6 bands made a 1?! That's crazy.

So just for fun..........what I think could happen in each area.

Area A:

Fossil Ridge

Azle

Plainview

Alternate: Frenship

Area B:

Birdville

Sherman

The Colony

Aledo

Alternate: Centennial

Area C:

Poteet

JJ Pearce

Waxahachie

Alternate: Midlothian

Area D:

Connally

Hendrickson

New Braunfels

Alternate: Dripping Springs

Area E:

Brenham

Foster

Alternate: Waller

Area F:

Friendswood

Dickinson

Alternate: Nederland

Area G:

Roma

King

Alternate: Gregory Portland

I think those are reasonable estimates for numbers of spots per area. If this is the case, that means 19 bands at state marching contest..........and only 7 finalists. Yikes.

And also, special thanks to MisterMan for the helpful lists!

sorry, i have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to 3A and 4A schools, but about Kingwood:

they are pretty cool guys, albeit a bit cocky. they were planning on sweeping the top chairs at region, but there was 2 from pasadena isd....haha in 2nd and third.

they have sooooo many members, but they look good and they sound good. i'm gonna miss some of them, as their entire (pretty much) clarinet section has graduated (except for two people).

are there any shows that i HAVE to watch (of 4a)?

Hmm....that's definitely hard to say. I've been around 4A for a long time (practically every member of my family has been involved in the Poteet band somehow), and 1999 and 2005 had the strongest sets of 4A state finalists that I can remember. Yay for when the UIL system gets it right! So if you can somehow acquire those, that would be a good start. I would also recommend Poteet 1997, Cedar Park 2001, and Richland 2003 (all state champion shows and all great.) Anything before 1997 is going to be impossible to find. Heck, most of this is going to be hard to find.

QUOTE (PlayOboe @ Sep 4 2007, 09:38 PM)
Didn't Friendswood do Mahler in '05?

Ooh, I remember Keller's Phillip Sparke show. Poteet did Sparke the same year and Poteet and Keller were the last two bands to march in state finals. That was bizzare.

My mistake, typo. They did Mahler's Symphony No. 1, 2, 4, & 5 in 2005. How can I forget that show? Impressive repertoire. The Maze was their '04 show. It wasn't a 4A State year but I really liked it.

My mistake, typo. They did Mahler's Symphony No. 1, 2, 4, & 5 in 2005. How can I forget that show? Impressive repertoire. The Maze was their '04 show. It wasn't a 4A State year but I really liked it.

I agree about the Mahler show. I remember hearing them in the tunnel during state prelims and getting crazy scared. Tough act to follow.

I'd hafta say, that if it were a little more clean, both musically and technically, the show concept we had at Centennial in '05 "A Symphonic Metamorphosis" could be on the list of great shows.

That's been my favorite of all time. =]

my friends made up lyrics for our closer... and they don't really fit w/ the show idea at all. :rolleyes: