Area D contest

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't surprise me. Everyone deserved it. I didn't get to see Stony Point, but I know they've had a bit of a turn around in the past couple of years, so I'll go ahead and say they deserved it too. From the bands I saw...

McNeil - Very funny show...the rabbit got a little distracting after awhile, but I still liked the whole William Tell thing. This was one of those shows where the guard tells the whole story, and they do a great job of doing so.

Georgetown - I'm not a huge fan of Key Poulan music, but this show is very well done. It made me think twice about Key Poulan...although I still don't like some of his other music. Another thing...that drumline is INCREDIBLE!

Leander - Great balance throughout the whole ensemble. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this show from the front after seeing it from the back so many times, but thank you for proving my thoughts wrong! Great job!

Round Rock - Another very impressive drumline...but that's not anything new. I really enjoyed this show. According to some people I've talked to that saw this show at the CP Festival, this performance was so much better than that one. Congrats!

Cedar Park - What a sound! And I have to say thank you for speeding up the beginning since the last time I saw you guys. To be honest, it really sounded like a dirge last time, but I feel like it sounds like it should now. The biggest areas for improvement in this band are their marching (keeping forms is the biggie) and their guard work. (I just heard this morning that the guard changed a lot of their work this week, so it's definitely understandable for now.)

Westwood - 11 All-State members this past year...the most I've ever heard of, and it is very obvious that there are some very good players in this band. I've always been impressed with the low brass (they've been great ever since they went to Canyon Vista and Grisham Middle Schools). One thing that drove me nuts though was the ending...the show just ends. You feel like there should be a big monstrous chord at the end, but it's not even there, and it's a very easy place to add one. I would love to hear one added in for area, but that's just me.

lol. and this past week, we just added a HUGH C Major Chord. Like theres this drumline cadence for about 3 measures, then we just hit a huge chord. And about 4 or 5 trumpets on a high D above the staff.

Leander...y'alls finals performance was AMAZING!  I was up on my feet before the thing ended.  Beautiful, beautiful performance.

Thank you. I feel like we did the best we possibly could with what was within our control. Going second and beating 20 of the 26 bands after us and then going first and beating Round Rock and Westlake, and Georgetown one of which we had lost to twice already. I am very very happy with how we did.

Well, i feel everyone gave off their best performances. I didn't care how bad we did or anything..

But you know that feeling when you get off the field and know you did your best show....

Well, we ALL had that..and when we left the field we cheered and screamed.

We always get bashed on the first down beat of the 4 movement from the trombones because of the weak sound but one of our DM's brother who plays baritone screams.. "COME ON TROMBOOOONNES!"... and the NAILED IT.

After the performance, I kissed him..God it was great.

I heard leander's show it was amazing.. no kidding.

I have never seen so many bands just turn it on for finals. I had a blast watching everyone.

Westwood - 11 All-State members this past year...the most I've ever heard of, and it is very obvious that there are some very good players in this band. I've always been impressed with the low brass (they've been great ever since they went to Canyon Vista and Grisham Middle Schools). One thing that drove me nuts though was the ending...the show just ends. You feel like there should be a big monstrous chord at the end, but it's not even there, and it's a very easy place to add one. I would love to hear one added in for area, but that's just me.

lol. and this past week, we just added a HUGH C Major Chord. Like theres this drumline cadence for about 3 measures, then we just hit a huge chord. And about 4 or 5 trumpets on a high D above the staff.

I was like YES when I saw that! I was thinking about it towards the end of your show...thinking maybe it would be different...and then low and behold it was! I can definitely understand Montoya's thinking behind the implosion, but I would have to say that the chord was definitely a crowd pleaser. Very cool!

way to go Akins, we heard that you guys rocked, but congrats, your directors were going nuts on the field.

It's really amazing how far this band has come. I can't wait to see how everyone does at state! All five of the Area D qualifiers are going to have a GREAT shot at finals!

Humanity demands an official Danpod review!

He was taking notes... ;)

edit: Dang I dunno why the quotes did that...but you get the idea.

I loved how after they announced the State qualifiers all the DMs came skipping back to their bands... except ours.

It's what I like to call being classy. Which is a very good thing. (Now if only you could help the rest of your student body stop graffiting our cars during football games and braking bottles on the surrounding area.)

I was just happy with how we(Leander) did. My Freshman year was Corners of the Mind Year and we made 2nd Alternate, so to do better than that was good. If you remember that show, you know why we were happy to do better.

What's the UIL rule on tiebreakers?

yea, thats what i wanna know...

I know in BOA they look at GE scores and such, but since its UIL there really isn't GE

anyway, congrats to all the bands going to State. Yesterday was an intense competition!

Akins people - yay! i'm so excited y'all made state. your show is good this year, and i hope it takes you far at state, and BOA if you're going this year...

Now. the whole mixing up westlake and westwood...

oooh... the made me angry. I have a lot of friends in the westlake band, but the stupid annoucer should have looked at his results sheet better before opening his big mouth...

I saw 3/4 of finals just some brief thoughts on what I can remember

Leander: Easily the smallest band in finals as well as about 4 holes but their performance didnt show it. I was quite surprised great overall show the only thing it lacked was a clear tuba/baritone presence which caused impacts moments not to be quite as full as they could be.

Georgetown: I hadnt heard much about them prior to this but it was a pleasant surprise. Pretty good size band with a nice sound when the trumpets backed off some cant remember much else sorry guys..

Westlake: Bass drum took quite a bad fall in the opener but he seemed to be ok. Trombone solo was quite good but it seemed like they were having either some phasing issues or electronic issues as it didnt seem to quite line up after the initial statement. I really enjoyed the show and it was well executed by the performers it just seemed it didnt really line up together as one whole production.

Akins: Where did these guys come from? Overall a terrific performance, drill was quite clean and moved pretty fast dont know if it was all that difficult but nonetheless it was good. They had a little problem with some people overplaying and creating some forced sounds but it was nothing to go home about. I have one request though get some new unis if you can lol

Round Rock: Another great performance. The brass seemed to be the focus of the show unless im overlooking something there was not much woodwind exposure. Drumline was solid as well. The thing that prevented them from placing higher in my opinion was the difficulty in comparison to the other bands.

Cedar Park: After last year I was not sure what to expect but they are back into the thick of things. Loud brass who carried the show showed great balance just need to work a little bit on control. The woodwind features were like 9/10ths of the way there just didnt quite line up and were top heavy with flute/clarinet being heard solely but they were not easy. Drill was executed near flawlessly from what I saw which is what UiL is all about (Did I see some moves from 04 in there?)

Reagan: As for being a "Boa" band only I think that changed last night. In my opinion the best playing band by far of the ones I saw you could hear every component of the band during full ensemble moments with great sounds. Seemed to have the same problem with cedar park and woodwind runs not quite lining up right but reagans seemed to be a couple notches above difficulty wise. Drumline was solid as well. Ending was great with the company front. They seem to have a lot more people on the field then previous years.

I had to leave after reagan do to prior commitments

It will be interesting to see how things go down at state.