2024 BOA San Marcos (Sept. 28)

1 hour ago, crunchycookie3 said:

This is one of the most exciting locations for a new regional. San Antonio and Austin will get another early season mash-up, and hopefully a Houston band or two will make the short trip over.

Yeah I'm really curious as to who will end up going to San Marcos.  I could see some of the San Antonio schools that have been going to Houston regionals, switching to SM instead.  And perhaps some of the slightly lower-tier Austin ISD marching bands looking to get away from Leander and Round Rock ISD and secure a higher finish.

But I'd be surprised if any of the major central Texas bands did both on back to back weekends, and I'd also be surprised to see any of them skip Austin and go to San Marcos instead.  Just as an example, Kelly Reeves is 6 miles and 10 minutes from Cedar Park High School, while Bobcat Stadium is 50 miles and over an hour away.

While the date might not be super optimal, I think this regional has great potential, as mentioned in other forums, to be one for groups that are trying to “get away” from top groups in the area such as the LISD, RR-ISD and the big SA schools in the are, which makes me really happy. I hate when bands aren’t able to make finals at boa regionals simply because the really aren’t a ton of changes as to who ends up making finals each year at the other regionals (not hating on any programs Tx is just so stacked), and will be a great opportunity for those programs that are always so close to finals get that much deserved second performance, and I’m supper excited to see how this comp turns out

19 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I’m not sure that the big SA schools are choosing to skip this one. It’s right in their backyard and a wonderful opportunity to compete somewhere close to home before the SASR. I guess we will know more as it begins to fill up!

True but I suspect most of the major Austin/LISD/RRISD schools will still go to the Austin (Round Rock?) regional rather than go to San Marcos.

So my friends at, say... Austin Anderson, who struggle to make finals at BOA-Austin when they're competing against a stacked slate like Vandy, VR, CP, Leander, Rouse, CR, Round Rock, etc.  might try to move away from the Austin regional and see if they've got a better shot in San Marcos.

Of course if every heavy hitter from SA decides to do the same thing, they might not fare any better, but it might be worth a shot.

4 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I’m not sure that the big SA schools are choosing to skip this one. It’s right in their backyard and a wonderful opportunity to compete somewhere close to home before the SASR. I guess we will know more as it begins to fill up!

I’m just hoping we get to see some first-timers in finals this year between here and Austin or really any tx regional that might open up a little for the bubble programs bc of this new regional 

Looks like Dripping dropped the West Texas regional and picked this one up instead.  Which would seem to support the theory that some of the Austin-area bands would like to get away from the extremely high level of competition at the Austin/RR regional and try to move up the placement stack at other regionals.

• 4 weeks later...