UIL 5A Area C 2024

Starting this with a bit of a concern, now that Forney (go Jackrabbits) is in 6A, this area is getting weaker and weaker. I do hope this area gets some form of a boost, maybe add in a few schools from Area B to give this Area somewhat of a chance. I know some people are considering Highland Park because they’re coming back to 5A, it wouldn’t seem logical to move Highland Park out of Area B considering they got moved around 3 years ago. However, UIL is more unpredictable than the chances Box5 will come back to stream UIL State, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Anywho, who do y’all believe will advance to state? I cannot wait to hear / read y’all’s predictions! :)

8 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

HP should definitely be back here, but here’s my early assuming 4 to state 

1. Highland Park 

2. Poteet 

3. North mesquite 

4. Mount Pleasant/Red Oak 

West mesquite could make a run for it but probably will look mostly like this 

I do know they were moved out of Area C before the realignment, but would it make logical sense for them to come back after just 1 alignment? I genuinely do believe they could come back, it just wouldn’t make sense for them to. 

21 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I do know they were moved out of Area C before the realignment, but would it make logical sense for them to come back after just 1 alignment? I genuinely do believe they could come back, it just wouldn’t make sense for them to. 

I just personally don’t see them going to B. Mesquite stadium is way closer, and B is already stacked as it is 

1 hour ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I agree, I do hope there are some balancing changes, I just don’t know who would come over besides Highland Park.

I think they could bring the Region 25 bands, so Lovejoy, Sherman, Denison, Melissa, and Anna (might be missing a couple more) to this Area. They used to do this until 2017 when these programs became apart of area B, but I doubt we will see any big changes like this soon. 

34 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I think they could bring the Region 25 bands, so Lovejoy, Sherman, Denison, Melissa, and Anna (might be missing a couple more) to this Area. They used to do this until 2017 when these programs became apart of area B, but I doubt we will see any big changes like this soon. 

So assuming everything stays the same, Highland Park wouldn’t be over at Area C unless they do decide to do balance changes. I won’t try to predict this area until there’s a finalization on the Areas

52 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

So assuming everything stays the same, Highland Park wouldn’t be over at Area C unless they do decide to do balance changes. I won’t try to predict this area until there’s a finalization on the Areas

I could be completely wrong about this, but I’m pretty sure it’s all based on location, not what area you were previously in, and it seems C is the area for Dallas ISD schools, so I think they should be coming back here. For example, if a school like Aledo went to 6A, they’d probably go to Area B or C for 6A, not 6A area F. It all (I’m pretty sure) is just based on the UIL zoning 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

I could be completely wrong about this, but I’m pretty sure it’s all based on location, not what area you were previously in, and it seems C is the area for Dallas ISD schools, so I think they should be coming back here. For example, if a school like Aledo went to 6A, they’d probably go to Area B or C for 6A, not 6A area F. It all (I’m pretty sure) is just based on the UIL zoning 

I do believe you’re right, but really I don’t know. Also, rezoning is at the end of March, and they will be balancing the areas out. I asked my director about this just now, and he told me that he did talk to the people who do the areas and such about this. What may likely happen is some area B schools would come over to this area. As for 6A, I don’t know the details about that. I just know some details that I am probably going to have to withhold.

12 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I do believe you’re right, but really I don’t know. Also, rezoning is at the end of March, and they will be balancing the areas out. I asked my director about this just now, and he told me that he did talk to the people who do the areas and such about this. What may likely happen is some area B schools would come over to this area. As for 6A, I don’t know the details about that. I just know some details that I am probably going to have to withhold.

OMG IF THIS HAPPENS THAT WOULD BE HUGE!!!!

They have needed to do this for a while, so I’m glad it sounds like something will change

7 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

They have needed to do this for a while, so I’m glad it sounds like something will change

Again take what I say with a grain of salt, the conversation was around 10 minutes long with several people jumping in as well, but I do believe that’s what will likely happen.

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Honestly, yeah, its pretty insane that 5A B is just on a different wavelength than this area for virtually no reason, right now any of the top 5 at B could take first here lol, maybe 6

I am expecting HP to move to C, if we added another 5A powerhouse to B than I cant see the top 5 switching around that much, so it would make sense to throw em here, I dont know a ton about this area so could be wrong

9 minutes ago, TrenBS said:

Honestly, yeah, its pretty insane that 5A B is just on a different wavelength than this area for virtually no reason, right now any of the top 5 at B could take first here lol, maybe 6

I am expecting HP to move to C, if we added another 5A powerhouse to B than I cant see the top 5 switching around that much, so it would make sense to throw em here, I dont know a ton about this area so could be wrong

No it makes sense, and I really hope they are some changes 

19 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

No it makes sense, and I really hope they are some changes 

From what I was made aware of, They certainly are changing stuff as I mentioned yesterday. I was extremely curious so I asked my director and that’s when he told me what I am making you aware of. (he also asked me who you were since he sees you alot, mainly on the forums im assuming to supervise my school’s kids)

1 hour ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

From what I was made aware of, They certainly are changing stuff as I mentioned yesterday. I was extremely curious so I asked my director and that’s when he told me what I am making you aware of. (he also asked me who you were since he sees you alot, mainly on the forums im assuming to supervise my school’s kids)

In simple terms a someone who just absolutely loves the activity, and having a big musical background has helped make my passion even bigger and better. 

Currently I’m a sophomore at Baylor studying business, but I’m still doing marching/concert band and am involved with other musical programs here. 

11 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

In simple terms a someone who just absolutely loves the activity, and having a big musical background has helped make my passion even bigger and better. 

Currently I’m a sophomore at Baylor studying business, but I’m still doing marching/concert band and am involved with other musical programs here. 

Lol thanks, I’ll be sure to inform him

also as for me, I am just some random high schooler who attends school in the “small” town in Forney. How I ended up here I’ll never know, but I am attending UNT next fall with a major in political science (idk what my minor will be, prolly music).

Just now, NoCommonSense said:

Don't forget that Lakeview Centennial is getting bumped down to 5a. They were only 3 spots from state while in 6a so I can see them possibly making top 3 this year!

I do agree with this, but it doesn’t change the fact this area needs MAJOR rework. Not fair to have 1-2 strong programs vs the several at Area B

53 minutes ago, NoCommonSense said:

Don't forget that Lakeview Centennial is getting bumped down to 5a. They were only 3 spots from state while in 6a so I can see them possibly making top 3 this year!

So it actually looks like they required to stay in 6A and won’t be moving down per the newest UIL realignment posts a few weeks ago 

12 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

So it actually looks like they required to stay in 6A and won’t be moving down per the newest UIL realignment posts a few weeks ago 

Yeah, so Lakeview will stay in 6A for sports as Garland ISD tends to opt all of their schools up to 6A. However, for band they will probably drop to 5A. I know South Garland is also an opt up to 6A for sports but stay at 5A for band. You can also include Naaman Forest in this as they also have reported 5A numbers but will opt up to 6A anyway. The real question IMO is DeSoto because they were also an opt up to 6A for sports but I don't know which classification they will compete in for band due to them being another district. I believe in the rule book it states that any school that was opted up has the option to compete in the classification they were opted up to or compete in the classification they would have competed in had they not opt up. For GISD's case it's the second option that I have just listed. I don't yet know what DeSoto's decision is yet. They would however be in this area if choosing to drop to 5A for band. 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone so I managed to find all bands that were under 5A for this area (Note that none of the bands had NV) and these bands could change once bands start signing up for Regional-

5A Area C (Region 3, 4, 20, 21)-

Region 3 (10)-

Crandall HS
Greenville HS
Kaufman HS
Lakeview Centennial HS
Mesquite Poteet HS
Naaman Forest HS
North Mesquite HS
South Garland HS
Terrell HS
West Mesquite HS

Region 4 (3)-

Marshall HS
Mount Pleasant HS
Texas HS

Region 20 (18)-

Dallas Adams HS
Dallas Adamson HS
Dallas Hillcrest HS
Dallas Jefferson HS
Dallas Molina HS
Dallas Samuell HS
Dallas Seagoville HS
Dallas South Oak Cliff HS
Dallas Spruce HS
Dallas Sunset HS
Dallas White HS
Dallas Wilson HS
DeSoto HS
Ennis HS
Highland Park HS
Oak Cliff Faith Family Academy HS
Red Oak HS
Singley HS

Region 21 (6)-

Hallsville HS
Jacksonville HS
Lufkin HS
Nacogdoches HS
Tyler HS
Whitehouse HS

if all these bands do stay as 5A and don't switch to NV or go to 6A (Lakeview and DeSoto), then 37 bands total are in this area

So I know that Adamson, Jefferson, Molina, Samuell and South Oak Cliff were NV last year, and Spruce did not participate but they did in 2022. I'm not sure if they will opt out again this year though, and I know that Singley and Seagoville have never participated and I don't think Oak Cliff Faith Family Academy will participate either. So keeping this in mind, there will most likely be 27 varsity bands in this area with a maximum of 10 finalists and 5 state advancers but will probably still only send 4.

Do we know if bands like Lakeview Centennial that are opting up/down are competing here or at 6A area C? It seems like there’s still some confusion, as others have mentioned them competing in 6A and others in 5A. Assuming it’s 5A, which Imo is their best option for making state, I think they have a great shot at state. I’m imagining HP will once again run this area, as they did very well in 5A with their creative cute shows, and am thinking rn, assuming everyone stays in their actual class will look around these lines: 

1st: Highland Park 

2nd: Lakeview Centennial 

3rd/4th: Poteet and North Mesquite-could be in any order 

5th: Mount Pleasant(could be top 3) 

6th: Red Oak

7th: West Mesquite 

8th: Terrell 

9th: Kaufman 

10th: A lot of bands