Cedar Park - Vandegrift is also a big rivalry.  Less so since Vandy went 6A and CP stayed 5A, but Vandy was "born of" CP back in the day, and many of the teachers and band instructors have moved from one to the other and cross-pollinated.

Also, some might not know, that one of the band directors at CP, is married to one of the band directors at Vista Ridge.  Lots of fun, friendly competition and back-and-forth between those two groups, as well.

Like @natertater21000 said, it feels less like rivalry and more like positive support from group to group.

Except, EVERYONE still desperately wants to beat Vandegrift.  When you're the best, you're always going to have that target. :)

20 hours ago, BaritoneBallah said:

What are some lesser known high school band rivalries?

The biggest ones that come to mind for me are:

Avon vs Carmel

Reagan vs CTJ

Rouse vs Cedar Park

Hebron vs Flowermound vs Marcus

wouldn't Lewisville be counted in the HvFMvM because Lewisville is on Lewisville ISD, even though they might not be as good as them, there could be major director changes and they could make a show that can be really beneficial to the program

13 minutes ago, cheeto2401 said:

wouldn't Lewisville be counted in the HvFMvM because Lewisville is on Lewisville ISD, even though they might not be as good as them, there could be major director changes and they could make a show that can be really beneficial to the program

I wouldn't say so, they're simply not on the level of their sister schools. Maybe in the future

Legit, North Lamar VS Area C. Its not a specific rivalry with a specific school, but I always felt that it was always Area C bands trying to dethrone North Lamar every time at Area and they would always come out on top. One of my favorite Area's to watch because of it

Another example I can think of is Argyle VS Area B when they were a 3A-4A. Argyle HS normally won the area, but in some moments, mainly in 2016, a school would place above them. I think the only schools that come to mind for me is Canton HS and Princeton HS

On 11/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, Dave609 said:

Legit, North Lamar VS Area C. Its not a specific rivalry with a specific school, but I always felt that it was always Area C bands trying to dethrone North Lamar every time at Area and they would always come out on top. One of my favorite Area's to watch because of it

Another example I can think of is Argyle VS Area B when they were a 3A-4A. Argyle HS normally won the area, but in some moments, mainly in 2016, a school would place above them. I think the only schools that come to mind for me is Canton HS and Princeton HS

Canton in 2016 placing 12th at state but beating argyle is similar to this year

canton beat celina at princeton finals but got 14th, worst they have ever placed since going to state in 1996, one of only 2 times not making finals. Im sure it wont be the end of a legacy.. they'll come back strong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Forney Rivalries:

Two for Marching Band 

Forney vs Aledo (always neck to neck)

Forney vs Lone Star vs Burleson Centennial (because we often come neck to neck)

Two for Football

Forney vs Poteet (pre covid days)

Forney vs Longview

Now one for everything

Forney vs North Forney (yeah it’s pretty much common sense for this to be the hugest rivalry)

LISD Vs. giving 3 state slots to area C lol

In all seriousness, locally there really isnt a spoken rivalry between the McKinney schools, they are all just trying to get ahead of each other but their shows are so distinct in style its really hard to compare them to each other, I think North executes the best, while Boyd has  the best individual musicianship, and high is well rounded nowadays, next year will likely see them butting heads more

I have always tended to see rivalries in pretty much every MISD school except timber view. Legacy to Mansfield, Mansfield to legacy, Mansfield to Lake Ridge. All seem to have some sort of disliking towards each other with what I’ve seen in other threads. Of course the only actual competitive rivalry is legacy to Mansfield, since lake ridge tends to dominate MISD. Also I heard Lake Ridge was going to the music for all festival in Indianapolis 🤯🤯