UIL 3A State Marching Contest 2023 (November 8th)

bxOxAxUIL

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 11:37 AM, bxOxAxUIL said:

Groups from each Area that I can see making finals:

Area A:  Crane and Clye

Area B: Whitesboro, Commerce, and Holliday

Area C : Mineola, Atlanta, Queen City, Redwater, and Winnsboro

Area D : Cameron Yoe and Clifton

Area E: Hondo 

definitely could see Hondo placing well!

Area C always has the big hitters for 3A.

Based on what I saw at Melissa this past weekend. Mineola is on a mission with making it to finals over several 4A State Finalists and several other 5A and 6A bands. Of course their guard got 2nd overall in prelims behind Anna. A few parents and kids I talked to to me said that their show was not finished.  The season is still early for everyone so anything can happen. 

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, freebird215283 said:

Not going to be close at all. Whitesboro doesn't have the show to complete with Mineola.

I will say that I think area c region 4 will have several in the top 10 at state. I find a big discrepancy amongst the size of 3A bands throughout the area-with bands like Mineola/Atlanta carrying 125+ band members and bands like Winnsboro/Redwater having roughly 75 members. And yes I know bigger isn’t always better but sometimes it does give a more richer sound. I do find that this year more of the larger bands tend to march more during solos, etc then when entire band is playing and if they play they tend to play whole notes versus a rift, etc. I feel it will be an interesting year at state and I predict the reigning champion will fall this year to someone in their own area. Just my prediction. Hope all have a great area showing and we all get to see some awesome shows. 

4 hours ago, Trumpeter75 said:

I will say that I think area c region 4 will have several in the top 10 at state. I find a big discrepancy amongst the size of 3A bands throughout the area-with bands like Mineola/Atlanta carrying 125+ band members and bands like Winnsboro/Redwater having roughly 75 members. And yes I know bigger isn’t always better but sometimes it does give a more richer sound. I do find that this year more of the larger bands tend to march more during solos, etc then when entire band is playing and if they play they tend to play whole notes versus a rift, etc. I feel it will be an interesting year at state and I predict the reigning champion will fall this year to someone in their own area. Just my prediction. Hope all have a great area showing and we all get to see some awesome shows. 

If you go back and look at the last 3A State Finals in 21 all 5 of the schools that represented Area C made Finals and finished in the Top 7.  Last year, in Area the same 5 schools once again would have advanced to State if there was a contest with Mineola winning Area but also having the overall highest score in any 3A Area Contest last year.  The last time I looked I do not believe Mineola and Atlanta are carrying 125 band members. I think Area C will be interesting as Winnsboro/Atlanta/Queen City/Redwater have all competed against each other a few times this season while Mineola has been going up against mostly 4A/5A schools that have been in State Finals.

Whoever makes it to State and eventually wins is going to have to earn it. Area C is a very very strong division for marching bands.

2 hours ago, TexasStrangers said:

If you go back and look at the last 3A State Finals in 21 all 5 of the schools that represented Area C made Finals and finished in the Top 7.  Last year, in Area the same 5 schools once again would have advanced to State if there was a contest with Mineola winning Area but also having the overall highest score in any 3A Area Contest last year.  The last time I looked I do not believe Mineola and Atlanta are carrying 125 band members. I think Area C will be interesting as Winnsboro/Atlanta/Queen City/Redwater have all competed against each other a few times this season while Mineola has been going up against mostly 4A/5A schools that have been in State Finals.

Whoever makes it to State and eventually wins is going to have to earn it. Area C is a very very strong division for marching bands.

Yes I may have mistaken actual numbers for making a point.  Atlanta does carry around 125-130 on field band members....I am counting guard, front assemble, battery, and winds.  Mineola has probably around 100 members.  Atlanta as a school is near numbers for 4a schools with around 455 high school members.  Yes Area C has seemed to be one of the more if not most competitive sections in the state since my kids have started high school band over the last 3-4 years.  Mineola has been the perennial powerhouse in this area and dependent on what type of show you like, rightfully so.  I will say to your point of them going against 4,5,6a bands, that the last contest the bands were split into 3-4a and 5-6a bands in finals and only two 3a bands were at the competition.  Now I am not sure how the score took them from 2nd in prelims to 7th in finals, but that is where they landed.  That being said they have in previous years been a good band, with good brass sounds, but too much electrical outputs, and show then actual marching for my taste--but that is just me.......scoring for any event is subjective to a point.  I don't mean to offend anyone....I just like to have discussions and express viewpoints and hope no one gets feeling hurts....we all have opinions.  

I think Area C will have a very tough competition and the 5 that come out of this region will have a very good shot to compete in state finals like they did 2 years ago.  My thought is that Atlanta/Mineola/Redwater will vie for 1-3 with Winnsboro having 4th, and 5th is still in air for me.  Queen City show is hit or miss so someone could come from another region to take 5th.  Thank all for this open discussion form.

Your thoughts are valid and everyone has an opinion. A lot of it just depends on the judges and I think as a school you have to really understand what judges are looking for. I was not taking any offense to what you said. When UIL did realignment 2yrs ago the cutoff was 514 to go to 4A. I expect that number to be higher when the numbers come out this year for the 2024-2025 school year. I don't really expect any 3A's from Area C to be moving up to 4A.

In the event at Royse City, Mineola almost had #1 in Prelims over the defending 4A State Champ Celina. 

I have to agree that Atlanta, Mineola, Redwater are the top 3 and will probably finish in some order. Winnsboro I think could make it in as well and Queen City maybe for #5 or maybe a Mt. Vernon who finished 1 spot out of the State 2 yrs ago or maybe an unknown band program on the rise.

Saturday is Area for 3A, I will be updating the groups that advance to state from each Area.

Area A - 

Crane HS
Clyde HS
Wall HS
TLCA HS

Area B - 

Whitesboro HS
Holliday HS
Howe HS
Commerce HS

Area C -

Mineola HS