Area G Marching Contest 2023

DeadMascot

1 hour ago, SpudMuffin said:

These schools aren't my alma mater, but I do follow what's happening in the RGV. I don't think this is a case of a school complaining because they felt they should have won but in reality the judges were correct ---NO , the judges really did get this wrong at Area G.  The best band didn't advance.  (I haven't heard anyone from that school actually complain).  That school does have multiple all state/all region players and dominates the audition process.

Watch the videos!!!  You decide.  But all I can say is there's a bunch of people that watched this contest and DON'T AGREE wit the outcome.  

Well it’s not up to us to decide. The best school did win. We are not judges and we have to respect the outcome. At the end of the day the state qualifiers earned their spot. We shouldn’t make them feel as though they didn’t deserve their rightful spot in the state marching contest. 

1 hour ago, BandFan95 said:

So this is why we aren't the judges. We don't have all the years of education/training/learning that these judges have. We are just spectators. I learned that the hard way when my girl first got into band.  You mention THAT school. We all know who that school is. You referring to them as THAT school doesn't make them look good even though you say they aren't your alma mater. 

I went ahead and spent my lunch hour looking at PSJA, Alexander, United and Hanna videos from Area on YouTube. Honestly? A couple of quick observations.

• If you are an OLD from the RGV like me (I haven't live there in 24 years) you remember what PSJA was like. We were the last ones to do ANYTHING new or innovative. We didn't get a color guard until 1991. Our drill designs were blah for years and didn't really change until 1990. So seeing how much has changed is GREAT!
  • I honestly love seeing how innovative the shows are in the Valley. I was with my cousins this week at my aunt's funeral. Her daughter marched for PSJA the first year they made it to State and she and I started exchanging stories. She was shocked at the idea that I paid $1600 a year in band fees every year for my daughter while she paid nothing at all at PSJA. She said they would have the restaurant fundraiser here and there, and I said, "so did we!" She said she was willing to pay so that they could have a drill designer, choreographers and the like so that they could compete with the upstate bands, but she knew that she would be one of the few parents that could afford it. The fact that these bands are able to put on the quality of shows that they do with the limited budgets that they do is amazing. Keep up the great work.
  • As far as the shows go, I agree with the judges evaluations with those 4 bands. I also agree with the posters above in that the bands from this area are improving drastically. I mean, compare these shows to shows form 2019! Holy smokes they are phenomenal! It sucks that they can only take 3 bands to state from this area.

For the kids that read this forum, don't listen to the adult fans. We are just fans and don't know crap. You keep loving your craft and work hard. 

Couldn’t agree more! 

8 minutes ago, ValleyBandFanatic said:

As someone who has been both a performer, educator, and overall band fan, this is very disappointing. I understand being confused or not agreeing on a result, but there has to be a level of respect towards ALL programs. Regardless of anyone’s association with the schools. Saying that the judges got things wrong in this way is taking away the incredible moment, hard work, and feelings from those kids who were fortunate enough to advance. Yes, we should absolutely feel for those who have worked hard and didn’t advanced, BUT do not voice those opinions in a way that diminishes or takes away from kids who also worked hard to make it to the SMBC. There are some people who don’t agree with the results, but they are not diminishing other programs or their kids. This is their moment, please do not try and take it away; intentional or otherwise. Ultimately it’s what holds us back, up north everyone is competitive but is happy when another school can win and represent their area. As a community, the RGV band community should put this energy into pushing our successes and not into negativity. 

100%