2023 UIL 4A Area D

8 minutes ago, Eco12 said:

Haven’t arrived yet sadly, hopefully I’ll see them for finals!

The kids and directors feel really good by the run they had, the heat got to our trumpet soloist so hopefully that doesn’t hurt too bad. Other than that, I honestly believe it was the best run of the season.

1 hour ago, Skillet2019 said:

Finals Results:
1st-China Spring*
2nd-Alvarado*
3rd-Gatesville* 
4th-Castleberry*
5th-Burnet*
6th-Robinson*
7th-Fredericksburg 
8th-Springtown
9th-Venus
10th-Kennedale
11th-Boerne
12th-La Grange

I was shocked Fredericksburg didn't place higher😱

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

Anyone see Springtown? was very shocked to not see them in finals. Stuff happens but still was very unexpected. Also feel really bad for Godley. All the judges had them in I believe the 10th-12th range, and then one music judge had them in 30th...... come on bro. Congratulations to CS on the dub though! 

Springtown got 8th

1 hour ago, Lemonpanda2328 said:

Anyone surprised about Gatesville's placement? Thoughts?

Gatesville was strong. They did very well at the last contest at Springtown as well. And yesterday they got two 1s from judges even in prelims. So judges really liked the show overall and scores were consistently good from all 5. I personally did not expect second but it makes sense with how things have been shaping up for them all season. 

1 hour ago, Lemonpanda2328 said:

Anyone surprised about Gatesville's placement? Thoughts?

Not surprised at all. After last year’s state run, I’ve noticed the district and the community as a whole are backing the band. The kids understand what is needed to succeed at a high level and the directors are working incredibly hard. Unless there are significant director changes, expect this to be the new norm for Gatesville. 

5 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Anyone see Springtown? was very shocked to see they didn't make state. Stuff happens but still was very unexpected. Also feel really bad for Godley. All the judges had them in I believe the 10th-12th range, and then one music judge had them in 30th...... come on bro. Congratulations to CS on the dub though! 

Ya, last year we miss Finals by 1 point and this year we get the shaft by a judge……that’s what happens when ya pay people for their opinion. It really sucks, bc that was our best run and unfortunately last.

Having been to finals and watching all the bands perform, I thought I’d leave my own rankings since they are quite different from the actual ones. I’ll try and explain my reasoning for each.

1:China Spring-Not to much to be said here, I agree with the judge’s assessment, definitely a well deserved win, fantastic all around.

2:Burnet- Visually their show was a bit underwhelming, but musically it was fantastic. I suspect their visuals are the reason for their low placement, but for me they were a solid 2nd

3:Gatesville-Gatesville was very impressive visually and musically, although for them to place higher for me, I’d expect more musically.

4:Alvarado-Same comments as Gatesville, I just felt Gatesville had a small edge over them.

5:Robinson-Really cool show idea, and I loved the music. Definitely looking forward to seeing them at state!

6:Boerne-Their lower placement was the one that really shocked me. Boerne’s sound was fantastic both in prelims and finals. Looking at their rankings it seems they had really inconsistent results.Their visuals held them back the most I’d say.

7th:Castleberry-I absolutely loved their show idea, it was fantastic and executed well. However I felt it lacked the same performance quality as the ones mentioned above. I’m really excited to see their show at state, I think it has the most potential to grow.

8th:Fredericksburg-Fantastic musically, their finals run appeared to struggle timing wise during the start of the show, their finish was really strong however. Can’t really say more because I have friends there, so I feel slightly biased

9th:Springtown-The surprising lower ranking on my list. I think their show was really good, I just think it was a little behind Castleberry and Fredericksburg. I think they suffer musically for me more than visually.

10th:Venus-Venus really surprised me this year. Their show quality was fantastic. Given a few more years I can see them proceeding to state. I think they just need a little more development to reach the next level.

11th:Kennedale-Their show was good, but their execution of the show struggled a little for me. I think they lost one of their head directors this past year, so I can see why they struggled more as opposed to other years

12th:La Grange-Their show was the best I’ve seen them do so far. However they’ll need to step up their design if they want to continue making finals, I’d say that was one of the main reasons I’d have them this low.

Kudos to all the bands in Pflugerville for making through a very long day (and night). It suddenly got VERY hot for ~90 minutes around noon, then cloud cover helped out the rest of the day. Some fun facts....

Longest day award goes to Boerne. Prelim time 10am. Finals time 9:30pm. (Finals results were announced around 12:30am.) China Spring, La Grange, and Kennedale were runners up, playing at 10:45/11:00/11:15am. China Spring and Kennedale played in finals at 11:30/11:45pm so CSHS performances were over 12 hours apart. Kennedale probably had the longest day when you add in the bus rides.

Regions represented: 7. Regions to finals: 5. Regions to state: 3.

Sample distances (there may be worse examples):
Fredericksburg - Madisonville: 257 miles
Benbrook - Royal 247 miles

I believe Benbrook was furthest from the Pfield at 184 miles.