2023 Wylie Marching Invitational (Sept. 30)

celesta

On 7/28/2023 at 7:22 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Edit: Okay so I will 100% be here, will do recaps of all bands both in prelims and finals, very excited to see all these programs! Finals preds below, might edit after week one of comps: 

1st:  FlowerMound(caption sweep) 

2nd: Lone Star 

3rd: Lake Ridge

4th: Lebanon Trail 

5th: Mckinney North 

6th: Mckinney Boyd 

7th: Lovejoy 

8th: Birdville 

9th: Walnut Grove 

10th: Mckinney/Allen/Midlothian/reedy 

honestly, it’s gonna be a pretty big fight for that last spot. I’d even say WG and Birdville aren’t necessarily safe/locks, but 1st-7th bands should all make finals relativity easy.  

My first prediction is

1st: Flowermound

2nd: Lebanon Trail

4th: Walnut Grove

5th: McKinney North

6th: Lovejoy

7th: Lone Star

8th: McKinney Boyd

9th: Birdville

10th: Allen

Flowermound is obviously a 6A powerhouse. Lebanon Trail is usually slept on. They keep on growing and getting better each year. With the Wakeland director change, I wouldn't be surprised if they won their Area this year. Walnut Grove took on Wakeland's director and I think they will come in swinging their inaugural year. Lone Star is interesting. They have an extremely talented program but their show design/concepts are usually weird to me. If Allen really has reduced their "competitive marching band" size than I am curious to how much they will improve this year. 

35 minutes ago, FMTrombone said:

My first prediction is

1st: Flowermound

2nd: Lebanon Trail

4th: Walnut Grove

5th: McKinney North

6th: Lovejoy

7th: Lone Star

8th: McKinney Boyd

9th: Birdville

10th: Allen

Flowermound is obviously a 6A powerhouse. Lebanon Trail is usually slept on. They keep on growing and getting better each year. With the Wakeland director change, I wouldn't be surprised if they won their Area this year. Walnut Grove took on Wakeland's director and I think they will come in swinging their inaugural year. Lone Star is interesting. They have an extremely talented program but their show design/concepts are usually weird to me. If Allen really has reduced their "competitive marching band" size than I am curious to how much they will improve this year. 

I’ve seen Walnut grove and while they are good, definitely not top 4 good. And Lonestar will definitely be 2nd unless Lakeridge or LT pulls something really good, at least top 4, but I like your boldness 

After getting to see almost everyone's most recent performances, here's my final predictions for this comp: 

1st: Flowermound (this is an obvious) 

2nd: Lonestar (They already sound SO GOOD, great music and visuals, very clean) 

3rd: Lake Ridge (ik they didn't go great at Mansfield, but the scoring at that comp sucks, they've got a big and clean sound, as drill is coming together nicely) 

4th: Lebanon Trail (haven't seen them yet so this is random, but they normally do very well here) 

5th: Mckinney Boyd (big and clean sound, some dirt in the brass, could see them and north switch, but I'm looking forward to seeing this live) 

6th: Mckinney North (great show and season last year, haven't seen the show but have high hopes for them) 

7th: Lovejoy (great sounds for their size, drill/visuals are looking really clean, should be a very good day for them) 

8th: Walnut Grove (another guess but they probably are really good being they are in Prosper ISD and have Wakeland's old director, could be higher if they come out strong like Rock Hill

9th: Reedy (they sound great now with Lovejoy's old director, 3rd at Golden Triangle, have I hopes for them) 

10th: Mckinney (could see them being 8th or 9th, really good sounds but just not as clean as everyone else) 

I could see Allen possibly making finals, they've got a great sound, but even with their condensed numbers it's hard to have a harder music and impactful drill, but if they don't make finals they will probably be very close to. 

14 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

After getting to see almost everyone's most recent performances, here's my final predictions for this comp: 

1st: Flowermound (this is an obvious) 

2nd: Lonestar (They already sound SO GOOD, great music and visuals, very clean) 

3rd: Lake Ridge (ik they didn't go great at Mansfield, but the scoring at that comp sucks, they've got a big and clean sound, as drill is coming together nicely) 

4th: Lebanon Trail (haven't seen them yet so this is random, but they normally do very well here) 

5th: Mckinney Boyd (big and clean sound, some dirt in the brass, could see them and north switch, but I'm looking forward to seeing this live) 

6th: Mckinney North (great show and season last year, haven't seen the show but have high hopes for them) 

7th: Lovejoy (great sounds for their size, drill/visuals are looking really clean, should be a very good day for them) 

8th: Walnut Grove (another guess but they probably are really good being they are in Prosper ISD and have Wakeland's old director, could be higher if they come out strong like Rock Hill

9th: Reedy (they sound great now with Lovejoy's old director, 3rd at Golden Triangle, have I hopes for them) 

10th: Mckinney (could see them being 8th or 9th, really good sounds but just not as clean as everyone else) 

I could see Allen possibly making finals, they've got a great sound, but even with their condensed numbers it's hard to have a harder music and impactful drill, but if they don't make finals they will probably be very close to. 

Definitely can see this happening, I would put Lebanon higher in general personally, I've heard really really good things so could see them 3rd, and for Boyd, it depends nearly entirely on how much the brass can clean up if they get 6th or 4th, they have been getting bad rehearsal weeks that are out of their control (tons of school events and bad weather), so considering they get a completely normal week this time I can see them fixing those mistakes. I can see North flipping with Lovejoy, their show isn't as strong as last year but it's by a small margin, a loss of seniors is noticeable but they are still pretty strong.
My current list from last Friday (which Boyd cleaned up ALOT since Wednesday and hearing Lake Ridge/Lovejoy), I would do this:
1. Flower Mound
2. Lone Star
3. Lebanon Trail
4. McKinney Boyd/Lake Ridge
5. Lake Ridge/McKinney Boyd (tie, either way)
6. Lovejoy
7. McKinney North
8. Walnut Grove
9. McKinney High
10. Reedy

13 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Just posted the new and correct schedule. It would seem DeSoto is also going, but I don't seeem them coming close to making finals. 

Yeeahh, finals is filled with 5A/6A state finalists, qualifiers, and high area finals contenders, its not the hardest competition, but for anyone in that middle ballpark its a very competitive competition

23 hours ago, TrenBS said:

Definitely can see this happening, I would put Lebanon higher in general personally, I've heard really really good things so could see them 3rd, and for Boyd, it depends nearly entirely on how much the brass can clean up if they get 6th or 4th, they have been getting bad rehearsal weeks that are out of their control (tons of school events and bad weather), so considering they get a completely normal week this time I can see them fixing those mistakes. I can see North flipping with Lovejoy, their show isn't as strong as last year but it's by a small margin, a loss of seniors is noticeable but they are still pretty strong.
My current list from last Friday (which Boyd cleaned up ALOT since Wednesday and hearing Lake Ridge/Lovejoy), I would do this:
1. Flower Mound
2. Lone Star
3. Lebanon Trail
4. McKinney Boyd/Lake Ridge
5. Lake Ridge/McKinney Boyd (tie, either way)
6. Lovejoy
7. McKinney North
8. Walnut Grove
9. McKinney High
10. Reedy

Just saw a video of North and I do agree. I also personally think the either vocalist or narration( couldn’t tell if it was live or not) was covering up the music a bit to much. We’ll see how they do but they may not be a strong, at least towards the start of the season, as last. Still very excited to see them regardless.

9 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Just saw a video of North and I do agree. I also personally think the either vocalist or narration( couldn’t tell if it was live or not) was covering up the music a bit to much. We’ll see how they do but they may not be a strong, at least towards the start of the season, as last. Still very excited to see them regardless.

Its one of their color guard members Im 90% sure since they had a mic, but I also agree, either they need to turn her down a tad or band needs to play out

personal predictions after watching the fisd marching showcase and some early season videos:

1. flomo

2. lone star/lebanon trail

3. lone star/lebanon trail

4. lake ridge

5. mckinney boyd

6. mckinney north/lovejoy

7. mckinney north/lovejoy

8. reedy

9. walnut grove

10. allen

if LT can clean a little more (and maybe put more of their show on the field) this week i can see them taking 2nd from lone star, but i would not be surprised at all to see them lose that race for 2nd this week. also seems like lovejoy tends to start their seasons off quite strong and then lose their momentum by area so i can see them beating north this week - either way i'm sure north will have a strong showing later this season.

44 minutes ago, goga said:

personal predictions after watching the fisd marching showcase and some early season videos:

1. flomo

2. lone star/lebanon trail

3. lone star/lebanon trail

4. lake ridge

5. mckinney boyd

6. mckinney north/lovejoy

7. mckinney north/lovejoy

8. reedy

9. walnut grove

10. allen

if LT can clean a little more (and maybe put more of their show on the field) this week i can see them taking 2nd from lone star, but i would not be surprised at all to see them lose that race for 2nd this week. also seems like lovejoy tends to start their seasons off quite strong and then lose their momentum by area so i can see them beating north this week - either way i'm sure north will have a strong showing later this season.

as a former marcher at Lovejoy, I feel like for us, it's less of losing the momentum and more we just don't ever had good area finals performances lol. I don't think they would have made finals at boa Waco last year if they had loss their momentum, area is just such a curse for us, and with how competitive Area B is, a bad performance will almost guarantee a not so good placement, and it's not even area, just are finals lmao 😭, but very solid placments, very excited to see how this one shakes out as a spectator, can't wait for flomo to blow my face off! 

I personally still see Lake Ridge at third, however I believe LT has a chance to beat them considering how close their scores were last year. I see growth from both of them, and that's why i still see Lake Ridge above. Flomo is an obvious.(SOMEONE TELL ME THEIR SHOW THEME PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW!!!)Lone star is looking and sounding amazing, I would say better than last year so I believe they will take the second spot. Although, it could be close between lone star and lake ridge.

17 minutes ago, vandi said:

I personally still see Lake Ridge at third, however I believe LT has a chance to beat them considering how close their scores were last year. I see growth from both of them, and that's why i still see Lake Ridge above. Flomo is an obvious.(SOMEONE TELL ME THEIR SHOW THEME PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW!!!)Lone star is looking and sounding amazing, I would say better than last year so I believe they will take the second spot. Although, it could be close between lone star and lake ridge.

I don’t know the title exactly but it sounds like it’s another art themed show, very excited to see them tomorrow!