UIL 6A Area C 2023

Dave609

12 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

How am I nervous before watching Hebron perform when I didn’t even go there?

Because even they get nervous. Last night Sweet HebronBetty Lou was having an anxiety attack when finals were being announced. After Rockwall was announced she put her hand on my shoulder, congratulated me (she had talked about how much she liked our concept). I told her, I think she will be OK, haha. Glad they were called two bands later. 😂 

Congratulations to Hebron on another Area win! Not surprised at all about the top half, after seeing East's Region run, they were miles ahead of where they were at Conroe, but a very well-deserved state spot for them! Sucks that Boyd is once again being the first out, but it is what it is. HUGE congrats to Byron Nelson, was always very surprised they didn't make finals here after competing with them and them doing and being so well, and to LC, and incredible season for them, and they really killed it in finals apparently! And of course, Mckinney, a program that has so long imo deserved to make finals and finally did, really happy to see them finally in, and really hopes this pushes them forward in the future, should have incredible successes at Boa Waco this upcoming weekend! Rock Hill's placement is a bit confusing, guess they didn't have a great finals run, but it's way more a BOA show than UIL, so I'm not super convinced this will be a good thing to use for Waco predictions. Really only band that didn't make it that I was surprised about was Braswell, seeing how well their season has been, maybe not a great run, but either way still a great season for them. Congrats to all the bands here on an incredible year! 

I hate to take anything away from any band, so I won’t say anything negative about any band specifically. I have to admit that I’m not seeing what some of the judges see. A couple of the bands in the top 4 had some pretty sloppy marching, and the “jump around and create chaos” style that hides all the sloppiness thing does nothing for me, but I’m not judging. …and musically, Boyd was easily the cleanest and most dynamic sound (maybe not the loudest). Nelson’s drill was very dialed in, I’m not sure why they didn’t land higher.

unfortunately, for sports and events that are “subjectively judged”, it ultimately is up to the judges that day.

i think area realignment is in order. The top 9 bands in this area could easily be sent to state from most areas in the state.

We’re fortunate to have so many well run and supported programs in North Texas. Lots of hard working and talented kids.

41 minutes ago, Yyz28 said:

I hate to take anything away from any band, so I won’t say anything negative about any band specifically. I have to admit that I’m not seeing what some of the judges see. A couple of the bands in the top 4 had some pretty sloppy marching, and the “jump around and create chaos” style that hides all the sloppiness thing does nothing for me, but I’m not judging. …and musically, Boyd was easily the cleanest and most dynamic sound (maybe not the loudest). Nelson’s drill was very dialed in, I’m not sure why they didn’t land higher.

unfortunately, for sports and events that are “subjectively judged”, it ultimately is up to the judges that day.

i think area realignment is in order. The top 9 bands in this area could easily be sent to state from most areas in the state.

We’re fortunate to have so many well run and supported programs in North Texas. Lots of hard working and talented kids.

That's why Area C is a bloodbath! 6 advancing makes it so cutthroat. 

Also the visual scores kinda mirror what you say. Visual judge consistency was non existent. The music judges were pretty well in line with one another. 

51 minutes ago, Yyz28 said:

Agreed. Boyd should have made it. There was no consistency and the region has just so many good bands.

2 hours ago, E1. said:

I still cannot believe that Rockwall Heath was placed in last for three different categories. How do they go from getting grand champs at royce city to getting placed 31st

As I’ve mentioned, I feel like Heath’s show was really good this year. Program showed growth despite not seeing the results. A lot of great bands missed finals. As I predicted other day, many bands will he left scratching heads. As for going from RC Grand Champion to down the list…..level of competition. Ive grumbled about Rockwall doing multiple BOA’s but it’s possible the exposure showed them how to push themselves even more