2023 BOA Conroe (Sept. 30)

LeanderMomma

14 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

Does anyone know what happened with Dawson last year at Katy? I honestly thought they did a pretty decent job.

I think Katy and Conroe were just judged quite differently. For example, Clear Brook scored in the top half of finals at Conroe but missed Katy finals. Conversely, SFA missed Conroe finals but made top half of finals at Katy. While this difference was confusing, I think it actually allowed many of the excellent Houston bands with vastly different artistic direction to be showcased. It will be interesting to see if something similar happens this year!

13 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I think Katy and Conroe were just judged quite differently. For example, Clear Brook scored in the top half of finals at Conroe but missed Katy finals. Conversely, SFA missed Conroe finals but made top half of finals at Katy. While this difference was confusing, I think it actually allowed many of the excellent Houston bands with vastly different artistic direction to be showcased. It will be interesting to see if something similar happens this year!

Definitely! And, a week always can make a huge difference! (Think of the week between area and state for example) 

Yeah Dawson got placed 20th last year at Katy but I later saw Conroe results from last year and was so confused.

Dawson got placed below cy-ranch, not to bash on them or anything of that nature whatsoever, cy-ranch did a phenomenal job and had a very interesting show theme/story(jekyll and Hyde), but I honestly thought they were a lot dirtier than Dawson and I feel as if Dawson deserved WAY higher than what they were placed at, we will see this Saturday and the upcoming one after, good luck to everyone!

18 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

Yeah Dawson got placed 20th last year at Katy but I later saw Conroe results from last year and was so confused.

Dawson got placed below cy-ranch, not to bash on them or anything of that nature whatsoever, cy-ranch did a phenomenal job and had a very interesting show theme/story(jekyll and Hyde), but I honestly thought they were a lot dirtier than Dawson and I feel as if Dawson deserved WAY higher than what they were placed at, we will see this Saturday and the upcoming one after, good luck to everyone!

I often see more discrepancies in non-finalist prelims placements because a) the judges’ main priority is getting the finalists right and b) groups who end up scoring together don’t necessarily perform close to each other and vice versa. That can make it really hard to compare scores across similar echelons of programs 

Actually pretty impressed at how evenly the bands are distributed amongst the panels. Locks and bubbles are in each block in similar amounts. Just curious how performance time will impact these groups. IE: going on at 8am provides an early morning but nicer temps, whereas a performance time of 1pm offers a more reasonable call time but much warmer temps (90° ish I think for this weekend?)

then you also have the judges… will they be more hesitant to give finals scoring shows early in the morning?  

13 hours ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Actually pretty impressed at how evenly the bands are distributed amongst the panels. Locks and bubbles are in each block in similar amounts. Just curious how performance time will impact these groups. IE: going on at 8am provides an early morning but nicer temps, whereas a performance time of 1pm offers a more reasonable call time but much warmer temps (90° ish I think for this weekend?)

then you also have the judges… will they be more hesitant to give finals scoring shows early in the morning?  

To answer your question, Prosper at Grand Nationals in 2018. First band to perform on Friday, and were 12th place overall in prelims.

Cypress Woods will be fine. :)

It’s the finals slot that really matters. (See: Austin this past weekend.)

1. Seven Lakes

2. Wylie East

3. Cypress Woods

4. James E. Taylor

5. Dawson

6. Cy-Fair

-----------

7. Friendswood

8. Clear Brook

9. Oak Ridge

10. Jordan

11. Klein Oak

12. Stephen F. Austin

-------------

13. Obra D. Tompkins

14. Tomball Memorial

15. Foster

Music: Seven Lakes

Visual: Wylie East

GE: Seven Lakes

I have indeed seen ALL of those shows :)

1 hour ago, RetiredBandGuy05 said:

1. Seven Lakes

2. Wylie East

3. Cypress Woods

4. James E. Taylor

5. Dawson

6. Cy-Fair

-----------

7. Friendswood

8. Clear Brook

9. Oak Ridge

10. Jordan

11. Klein Oak

12. Stephen F. Austin

-------------

13. Obra D. Tompkins

14. Tomball Memorial

15. Foster

No College Park in the top 15?

3 hours ago, RetiredBandGuy05 said:

1. Seven Lakes

2. Wylie East

3. Cypress Woods

4. James E. Taylor

5. Dawson

6. Cy-Fair

-----------

7. Friendswood

8. Clear Brook

9. Oak Ridge

10. Jordan

11. Klein Oak

12. Stephen F. Austin

-------------

13. Obra D. Tompkins

14. Tomball Memorial

15. Foster

Curious what you thought of 7L. Haven’t seen anything of them. 
college park should be in the top 15 I think 

This contest is so difficult to predict! Here’s how I think tiers of the top 20 groups will shake out on Saturday. And with how this season is going, I’m 90% sure there’s a group not listed here that will end up in the top half, if not medalling.

Medal Contenders:

-Cy-Fair

-Cy-Woods

-Seven Lakes

-Wylie East (wow…. music is likely theirs to lose)

-Klein Oak

-------------

Solid Locks:

-Friendswood

-Clear Brook

-Klein Cain

-------------

Wildcards (as high as top half, could also be out):

-Oak Ridge

-Dawson

-Foster

-Jordan

-------------

On the edge of finals:

-Tompkins

-SFA

-College Park

-Taylor

-O’Connor

-Tomball Memorial

-A&M

-Clear Falls

4 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

This contest is so difficult to predict! Here’s how I think tiers of the top 20 groups will shake out on Saturday. And with how this season is going, I’m 90% sure there’s a group not listed here that will end up in the top half, if not medalling.

Medal Contenders:

-Cy-Fair

-Cy-Woods

-Seven Lakes

-Wylie East (wow…. music is likely theirs to lose)

-Klein Oak

-------------

Solid Locks:

-Friendswood

-Clear Brook

-Klein Cain

-------------

Wildcards (as high as top half, could also be out):

-Oak Ridge

-Dawson

-Foster

-Jordan

-------------

On the edge of finals:

-Tompkins

-SFA

-College Park

-Taylor

-O’Connor

-Tomball Memorial

-A&M

-Clear Falls

I definitely agree with your predictions. I think just about any one of those “edge of finals” bands could easily sneak in to finals without me being too terribly surprised

9 hours ago, RetiredBandGuy05 said:

1. Seven Lakes

2. Wylie East

3. Cypress Woods

4. James E. Taylor

5. Dawson

6. Cy-Fair

Unless  JET and Dawson both have major improvements on the past few years, I don’t see them beating Fair. 

Cy-Fair is going to win, they are at an amazing place going into this contest. They have continued their momentum from the past two years and have taken it to the next level

I haven’t seen seven lakes show yet and only got to see woods a few weeks ago, but these two feel like locks for second and third place.

will be interesting to see how things turn out.

23 minutes ago, Displayed name said:

Unless  JET and Dawson both have major improvements on the past few years, I don’t see them beating Fair. 

Cy-Fair is going to win, they are at an amazing place going into this contest. They have continued their momentum from the past two years and have taken it to the next level

I haven’t seen seven lakes show yet and only got to see woods a few weeks ago, but these two feel like locks for second and third place.

will be interesting to see how things turn out.

I thought the same thing about Cy-Fair, but after seeing and hearing Wylie East, it may not be the Cy-Fair runaway people are making it out to be

On 9/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, ChristopherRoden said:

After seeing recent performances I think the top 5 will be 

1. Wylie East

2. Cy Woods

3. Klein Oak

4. Cy Fair 

and somewhere jammed in there 7L. They have a game tonight so hopefully they debut their contest show, that’ll help me place them. I can see them anywhere from 2-5, but I would love to stand corrected! 

Where would you place 7L after seeing them last night, assuming they debuted their show? Or if you saw them this morning. 

Great job from that first block 

I loved Cy-Woods, absolutely amazing, seven lakes completely blew me away after I finally got a chance to see their show, all I have to say to seven lakes is “beautiful” Foster was amazing as always, great job from others like clear creek, clear falls, porter, iowa colony, JET was phenomenal, Jordan was amazing as always, Cy-Ranch did better than I honestly thought they would, amazing peformance, I feel like that was a performance of a new caliber for them, excited for this next block!!!