Wow. Finals recaps and prelims interesting. Looks like Glen got in on that M1 judge that had them 3rd in both prelims/finals. They flip two music judges with marching judges for finals, and the other two music rankings were along the same lines (8 & 5 in prelims to 9 & 6 in finals) so I wonder if that music judge stayed in that role for finals? Otherwise Finals judges seemed pretty consistent with the exception of that one music judge.

It's great to see Glenn proceed forward. I think that their prelims performance was better than their finals run tonight.

It's great to see Glenn proceed forward. I think that their prelims performance was better than their finals run tonight.

It will be a great motivation builder for those and kids and that program which really is still in its infancy. Success is easier to build upon using previous successes. Like I said above, I don't think they will be a state finalist, but for this group I'm sure making the state contest was the goal and anything past that is just icing on the cake.

I’m a Glenn Band Momma and newbie to this forum. This is all new to us qualifying/advancing to state for the first time. I’m replying to this particular comment because my son came home after rehearsal and said that this particular judge’s comments were apparently so bad his director wouldn’t even let the kids hear his tapes/comments...I’m just so curious...I thought The judges were supposed to offer some constructive criticism not be mean. I’m not sure how it all works honestly. It seemed his scores were so off/different than the rest of the judges. Oh well on to the next....What a contest! I was a nervous wreck with so much talent out there.

My guess is that he was expecting to hear what they did in prelims which to ears was miles better than than finals run. That's a good thing because it shows they have more to give come contest time.

I’m a Glenn Band Momma and newbie to this forum. This is all new to us qualifying/advancing to state for the first time. I’m replying to this particular comment because my son came home after rehearsal and said that this particular judge’s comments were apparently so bad his director wouldn’t even let the kids hear his tapes/comments...I’m just so curious...I thought The judges were supposed to offer some constructive criticism not be mean. I’m not sure how it all works honestly. It seemed his scores were so off/different than the rest of the judges. Oh well on to the next....What a contest! I was a nervous wreck with so much talent out there.

I was a tabulator at a contest and we saw that a Judge gave some downright mean comments on the sheets, the contest head talked with the judge prior to the sheets going to the bands and the judge apologized about the comments, kept the same score but gave a new sheet with better and more objective feedback.   These judges end up in some very long days and hours and have to give ton's of concentration all day long.   It's a wonder we don't see more issues.  Most of what I have seen in the booth during contests is a group of professionals working hard to be objective, accurate and helpful.

Ah, but Mr. Danpod we assume that the judge is giving destructive comments. If that is the case, then yes you are right off to the chili cookoff gulag it is! But if you are not?

Let's not make assumptions based on what the parents of a high school child, who heard the story from one of the directors said. Many kinks in that chain. Plus, the one judge that was different in both prelims and finals with this group actually had this group higher (by far) then the other two judges:

Music Prelims:

3, 8, 5

Music Finals:

3, 9, 6 

The marching judges were pretty consistent at 3, 6 in prelims to 4, 3 in finals.

So it's tough to see that as totally being accurate. Most likely the director said something along the lines off "Well x judges tapes really doesn't tell us much in preparing for State so we won't play it," and child hears, "not playing the tape," and gets translated into "judge was destructive."

Just giving the benefit of the doubt to the adjudicators  ;)  whom looking at that list of names seem like well respected names in the industry.

Ah, but Mr. Danpod we assume that the judge is giving destructive comments. If that is the case, then yes you are right off to the chili cookoff gulag it is! But if you are not?

Let's not make assumptions based on what the parents of a high school child, who heard the story from one of the directors said. Many kinks in that chain. Plus, the one judge that was different in both prelims and finals with this group actually had this group higher (by far) then the other two judges:

Music Prelims:

3, 8, 5

Music Finals:

3, 9, 6

The marching judges were pretty consistent at 3, 6 in prelims to 4, 3 in finals.

So it's tough to see that as totally being accurate. Most likely the director said something along the lines off "Well x judges tapes really doesn't tell us much in preparing for State so we won't play it," and child hears, "not playing the tape," and gets translated into "judge was destructive."

Just giving the benefit of the doubt to the adjudicators ;) whom looking at that list of names seem like well respected names in the industry.

Fair enough and point well taken! Darn. I was really looking forward to some chili.