New Bands on The Rise (Up and Coming Bands)

Hays is definitely on the rise. (I am a little biased) but with the new staff we have made history of our school by making Area D finals AND came out as first state alternate just behind of Round Rock! Also to note that at BOA San Antonio 2018 we jumped from 51st the previous year to 34th in prelims. Such great things are coming from Hays and I am so excited to see where they go in the future.

good luck - keep moving forward - congrats on your progress

It seems like Westfield is back on the way up. In 2015 they had around 80 kids in the band, and placed 29th out of 30 at BOA Conroe, whereas this year they were 16th and have gotten their numbers up to at least 200. They also made area finals again for the first time since 2012. Looking forward to what we see from them in the future.

It seems like Westfield is back on the way up. In 2015 they had around 80 kids in the band, and placed 29th out of 30 at BOA Conroe, whereas this year they were 16th and have gotten their numbers up to at least 200. They also made area finals again for the first time since 2012. Looking forward to what we see from them in the future.

This is probably what excited me most this entire season. Was soooo happy with what they put out this season, and can only hope they soon go back to at least being a regional finalist.

This is probably what excited me most this entire season. Was soooo happy with what they put out this season, and can only hope they soon go back to at least being a regional finalist.

They were super close at McAllen!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tomball

Porter

Galena Park

I got to see all three of these bands and Willis this year.  Add in Crosby and you will have the 4 or 5 state bands from that area next year.  It will be super competitive I'm sure.  Willis is dangerous.

Galena Park is certainly on the rise.  They are getting bigger and seem to be clawing their way back up since the state year in 2009.  Fun fact, they are the sister school to North Shore Senior HS (6A POWERHOUSE!).  I got to see them at the USBands show they won in New Caney and they were stunning.  VERY loud band for their size.  The video is on youtube somewhere.  Tomball is good, but so many staff changes over the years could hinder them.  Same with Porter.  I think the area will advance Crosby, Willis, Galena Park and either Tomball or Porter next year.  Crosby is a fantastic military band that plays modern music.  They are performing at Midwest this week.  Make sure you see them.  They will be great!

Tomball is good, but so many staff changes over the years could hinder them. Same with Porter.

I don’t think Porter’s staff changes have hindered us at all! We consistently outperformed our show from last year with a show written very similarly, but with a higher level of difficulty. With the new direction we’re hoping to begin moving in, I think Porter’s going to continue to improve over the next few years.

I don’t think Porter’s staff changes have hindered us at all! We consistently outperformed our show from last year with a show written very similarly, but with a higher level of difficulty. With the new direction we’re hoping to begin moving in, I think Porter’s going to continue to improve over the next few years.

I agree. Porter was very strong this year and in my opinion was the strongest they have ever been. 

I agree. Porter was very strong this year and in my opinion was the strongest they have ever been. 

I saw them at the USBands show in New Caney.  They were good!  I hope that success continues.  The 5A band scene is really taking off in Houston.  I remember a time when each of these programs were consistent division 2 and 3 programs.  Galena Park was getting 3's and 4's in the late 90's.  Porter opened and struggled for a while.  Willis as well.  It is so cool to see the growth and improvement of each program over the last 8 or so years.  Also, most of these schools are title-1 schools and yet are still successful.  Some great teaching taking place!

Also, Kingwood Park is another to watch out for. 

Porter came in at 28th in state two years ago. Is there new evidence that suggest they are in a position to move up against dfw and Austin bands? I don’t see it on video, but I know literally nothing about the program so I certainly could be off.

Two years ago I wouldn’t have thought Frisco Lebanon Trail might make state finals but there is evidence this year of improvement in how they compare to common competition that are traditional state powerhouses.

The Houston area has not had a lot of competitive bands outside of The Woodlamds and North Shore. 5a has been worse, no band from the Houston area made state finals last time in 5a, highest last time was Tomball at number 20 during prelims. Would love to see that change.