Underdog Bands on the Rise?

Lately I have been seeing different bands starting to make a name for themselves. What bands do you know are rising up? And what do you think of these bands? James Madison has been steadily improving over the years, and had a wonderful show in 2016. Not only did they win a competition, place only .1 behind first at the next competition as jumped 10 places at BOA San Antonio, they also managed to get chosen as a feature band at the Fiesta Band Festival. What do you think of this band?

Y'know.... it's kind of really tacky to start a thread under the pretense of talking about "rising/underdog bands" (even though there's already another thread about it literally 2 lines down), then basically use the opening post to hype your affiliated band (but not actually claim it as a band you're affiliated with, despite the fact the band name is in your ID) as the prime and only example. Then afterward, closing the post by redirecting the focus of the topic from "rising/underdog bands" to "please say nice things about my band?...pretty please?".

It wouldn't be so tacky if you owned up that it was your band, made a casual mention of why you thought they were rising, and then maybe name off 3 or 4 other bands that you've noticed are in fact rising and talk about them in detail.

Sorry, I didn't mean anything tacky. I was mentioning my band because we ARE starting to find ourselves, but I was just waiting for someone's thoughts on other bands and then I was going to add the bands I see.

Here are some bands I have been watching:

Pioneer

Vandegrift (because they have not yet been to GN)

Dripping Springs

Also, the thread younger talking about discusses more well known bands that are foreseen to improve in the future. My thread is about either lesser known bands or bands thatvarent given the credit they deserve. That's why I created this thread. It wasn't meant to be tacky. Sorry if that bothered you.

And yes, I do go to Madison and was trying to put our name out there and see what people actually think of us and not putting things in people's head.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a surprise that no one posts on here when people like the OP get berated for self-promoting their band. Yes, it can be annoying at times, but it also brings awareness to nascent band programs and their recent successes, if kept to a reasonable level. When people from less-known schools get suppressed, we end up getting the same discussion about the same bands in the Dallas suburbs and Austin, or worse, no discussion at all. OP, thanks for posting. I'm happy to hear that SA Madison is doing well. I'll try to listen for them.

It's not a surprise that no one posts on here when people like the OP get berated for self-promoting their band. Yes, it can be annoying at times, but it also brings awareness to nascent band programs and their recent successes, if kept to a reasonable level. When people from less-known schools get suppressed, we end up getting the same discussion about the same bands in the Dallas suburbs and Austin, or worse, no discussion at all. OP, thanks for posting. I'm happy to hear that SA Madison is doing well. I'll try to listen for them.

Thank you. Nice list by the way.

the problem wasn't that they were posting about their own band, it was that a) they do it constantly, which can kinda drown out discussion on the forum and b ) they started a new thread to do this when a different thread already exists. I agree that its great to publicize other bands so we don't just constantly talk about the same top 15 or so bands in the state, but this thread was a little excessive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...