2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

• 4 weeks later...

Bands like The Woodlands and CTJ might be at an advantage with this rule since they've been doing difficult late-peaking shows for a while now, but I don't think they'll be able to catch Avon in visual unless they do something really special. Only time will tell, though.

I could definitely see Churchill surging. They're working with Alan Spaeth, who designs for Flower Mound, and a good design is often a catalyst for a strong (and effective) performance.

As for the new visual criteria, I'm left wondering if any bands will really change all that much. Some directors will probably wait to see how they affect their groups' scores before they make any significant changes. They'll probably just add some extra visuals here and there.

I could definitely see Churchill surging. They're working with Alan Spaeth, who designs for Flower Mound, and a good design is often a catalyst for a strong (and effective) performance.

As for the new visual criteria, I'm left wondering if any bands will really change all that much. Some directors will probably wait to see how they affect their groups' scores before they make any significant changes. They'll probably just add some extra visuals here and there.

Agreed. I could even see them winning conroe if they continue their trajectory.

I don't know about winning, but making finals and doing well in finals, certainly. BOA Conroe is INSANELY stacked this year, and will probably be just as intense as BOA DFW. We've got Leander, Vandegrift, the Woodlands, Bowie, and Reagan who I personally think will be filling out the top spots. But I am definitely excited to see what Churchill is going to bring to the table this year. Last year was just a beautiful show, but their biggest competition is probably going to be from Hendrickson, Cy-Fair, and Round Rock (and Waxahachie? idk) who also had some AWESOME shows last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gimme a dark horse for San Antonio

For finals:

Clear Brook

North Shore

Oak Ridge

New Braunfels

Rouse

For first:

The Woodlands

LD Bell

Winston Churchill

I would be absolutely shocked if Avon fell below 4th. Avon is consistent every year in a way that Texas bands right now just aren't. While there are probably 7ish bands that *can* beat Avon at San Antonio, there's no telling how many *will*. They and Flower Mound are the only bands here that are more likely to medal than not.

This is what I have for finals as of now:

1. Flomo- they have blossomed into gods.

2. Avon- I am changing my mind as I have been brought up to speed on some things.

3. Leander- they got third last year and I can see a slight chance of them surprise everyone and even pass Avon.

4. The Woodlands- come on.

5. Hebron

6. Vandy

7. CTJ

9. Marcus

10. Reagan

12. Cedar Park

13. Churchill

14. Keller Central

Don't ask me why.

And of course, these are just predictions.

1. Avon - clearly the staff has confidence that this will be an amazing year with as much traveling that they're doing this year. Last year they were very "young" and yet tied for 1st at nationals. This group may not get as much practice on Saturdays, but if this group works hard enough, that won't be a problem. Also their visual program is consistently amazing every year so that should work to their benefit against Texas who is more into the music aspect.

2. Flower Mound - to say I loved their show last year is an understatement. I LOVE this group and what they accomplished last year, but finding a show to follow last year's will be very hard. If they can, I see them more than able to pass Avon, on everything but visual. Which visual could be the reason they end 2nd.

3. The Woodlands - last year ended very well for them at SA. With the right program and talent, they could definitely turn some heads.

4. Hebron - yes, the program last year wasn't the best Hebron has done, but they were able to jump from 6th to 2nd between 2012 and 2013. I love Hebron's musicality and it could get them far.

5. Vandy - this year's show sounds to have amazing potential. I would not be surprised to see them move up on the placement ladder.

6. Leander - as much as I loved the past few year's programs, this years doesn't do it for me. I'm excited to see where they end up, and they could be as high as 2nd or 3rd, but these are just my predictions

7. Marcus - last year was a good show from them, just not executed as well as others higher than them. it's hard to put them this low, but we'll see what happens through the season.

8. CTJ - I hope they place higher, but last year's 9th at nationals doesn't give me super positive thoughts about them getting higher.

9. Cedar Park - still rather low even after 5th at nationals last year. Could easily move up with the right conditions.

10. Reagan - the singing doesn't do it for me. Neither did the show last year. Not for me.

11 - 14 I don't really follow the rest of the bands that closely, so I'm not gonna try to place them. However Churchill should easily be in finals.