Area D Predictions?

As a parent, we never see the details of UIL scoring, so it appears a bit more arbitrary, even though this may not be the case. I know I get a little confused about whether the judges take into account the difficulty of the music, marching, or color guard, or how they use props. I would be interested in knowing more about the difference between UIL and BOA scoring and how difficulty is factored in. I am not saying that everyone needs moving props, but I do think it's harder when this is part of a show,. Likewise, I have seen several color guards this season who don't do any rifles or swords or similar tossed objects at all, just flags. Does any of this matter? Are there certain key elements that are supposed to be a part of every show?

As a parent, we never see the details of UIL scoring, so it appears a bit more arbitrary, even though this may not be the case. I know I get a little confused about whether the judges take into account the difficulty of the music, marching, or color guard, or how they use props. I would be interested in knowing more about the difference between UIL and BOA scoring and how difficulty is factored in. I am not saying that everyone needs moving props, but I do think it's harder when this is part of a show,. Likewise, I have seen several color guards this season who don't do any rifles or swords or similar tossed objects at all, just flags. Does any of this matter? Are there certain key elements that are supposed to be a part of every show?

Here is a document that provides an explanation of the judging sheets and rubrics for UIL Area and State: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/Revised_Area-State_Judges_Orintation_Webposting.pdf

Also, if you really want to go deeper, all UIL Judges must go through the following training course as just a part of their training: https://judgesacademy.com/texas-area-and-state-marching-band-judges-training/

The course is just $25 and anyone can take it, even parents, students, and school administrators.

In general, difficulty *is* taken into account, as are the Performance portions of GE such as suitability/compatibility of drill/music to the level of the performers (something super easy is not suitable for a top tier group), "Frequency of Movement while Playing", "Continuity and Flow", "Effective Use" of whatever you are doing, etc.

As far as guard equipment, UIL tries not to demand that a band do certain things like use a particular style of marching, style of show, style or existence of guard, etc. and so those kind of equipment specifics are purposefully left off of the judging criteria. The idea is to judge based upon how well what is presented is performed and to give a ranking based upon the total level of achievement of the group, whether the group was military, show, corps, or whatever. And yes, doing harder things at 95% can be a higher total level of achievement than doing easy things at 98%.

Final Low-down 1 day out...

6A AREA D FINALIST PREDICTIONS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------State Locks-----------------------------------------------------

RONALD REAGAN HS   

One of the best bands in the state, won BOA Conroe              

JAMES BOWIE HS        

Had a tough season last year, but it looks like they are surging. Won BOA McCallan

---------------------------------------------------------------State Bubble/Area Finals Locks--------------------------------------

ROUND ROCK HS   

If this were B.O.A., They would be a lock, but with it being UIL (Specifically Area D) they are on the bubble due to their recent Area history.    

HENDRICKSON HS

This is the best Hendrickson has been for a while, being in finals of two BOA’s

CEDAR RIDGE HS

They haven’t quite regained momentum since losing their past director, but their show seems to be geared towards UIL this year so I think they have good shot at it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------State Cutoff----------------------------------------------------------------------

WINSTON CHURCHILL HS

Churchill has been having a great season, making the finals at 2 BOA’s, and they have a shot at State but with this competition for state it’s going to be really close together and a lot of good bands will be let out.

WESTWOOD HS   

They got a rough draw, but if they pull through it, I think they have a shot at state

------------------------------------------------------------------Area Finalist Bubble--------------------------------

ANDERSON HS                           

NEW BRAUNFELS HS

PFLUGERVILLE HS

-----------------------------------------------------------Finals Cutoff

STONY POINT HS             

SMITHSON VALLEY HS

JACK C. HAYS HS BELTON HS

AKINS HS

ROBERT E. LEE HS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In retrospect, any of the state bubble bands could make state as any of them could beat any other in the buuble. It will come down to just how well they perform

their show tomorrow.

Final Predictions:

1) Reagan: Incredible. Still unsure if they're going to state, but they are awesome.

2) Round Rock: I have a gut feeling that this is Round Rock's year. They deserve a high placement.

3) Bowie: Haven't actually seen them this year but they always do well. I'm hesitant to put them above Round Rock due to the director changes, though.

4) Hendrickson: Hendrickson has been growing tremendously lately and I think they're in a position to do very well.

5) New Braunfels: Amazing show this year. I can see New Braunfels becoming a new powerhouse in the area. However, I think any of the next three bands could make the last spot and it will be a real fight.

6) Churchill: Churchill has had a great season. I'm heasitant to leave them out of finals, but they have a very strong chance.

7) Cedar Ridge: Honestly don't know too much about this band but I'm not sure if they're over the director changes.

8) Westwood: Westwood is great with music but the visual aspect is lacking. I'm not a huge fan of their show this year but they are still a fantastic band!

9) Anderson: See Cedar Ridge.

10) Pflugerville: Not too sure about this band, I can see them sneaking in to finals.

--------FINALS CUT OFF---------

11) Madison: Madison is growing but I'm not sure if they'll be able to sneak in to finals.

12) Canyon: Better than in the past, I think this band is slowly improving.

13) Hays: Show is kinda strange this year but they have always done well. The music choices are very odd but the band plays them pretty well. I think GE is holding them back.

14) Smithson Valley: Sound and look better this year than in past years, but there's not really any impact with the show.

This contest is basically locked at the top and then a fight for the last one/two spots. Should be interesting.

Final Predictions:

1) Reagan: Incredible. Still unsure if they're going to state, but they are awesome.

2) Round Rock: I have a gut feeling that this is Round Rock's year. They deserve a high placement.

3) Bowie: Haven't actually seen them this year but they always do well. I'm hesitant to put them above Round Rock due to the director changes, though.

4) Hendrickson: Hendrickson has been growing tremendously lately and I think they're in a position to do very well.

5) New Braunfels: Amazing show this year. I can see New Braunfels becoming a new powerhouse in the area. However, I think any of the next three bands could make the last spot and it will be a real fight.

6) Churchill: Churchill has had a great season. I'm heasitant to leave them out of finals, but they have a very strong chance.

7) Cedar Ridge: Honestly don't know too much about this band but I'm not sure if they're over the director changes.

8) Westwood: Westwood is great with music but the visual aspect is lacking. I'm not a huge fan of their show this year but they are still a fantastic band!

9) Anderson: See Cedar Ridge.

10) Pflugerville: Not too sure about this band, I can see them sneaking in to finals.

--------FINALS CUT OFF---------

11) Madison: Madison is growing but I'm not sure if they'll be able to sneak in to finals.

12) Canyon: Better than in the past, I think this band is slowly improving.

13) Hays: Show is kinda strange this year but they have always done well. The music choices are very odd but the band plays them pretty well. I think GE is holding them back.

14) Smithson Valley: Sound and look better this year than in past years, but there's not really any impact with the show.

This contest is basically locked at the top and then a fight for the last one/two spots. Should be interesting.

As far as director changes, Bowie and Round Rock have both had staff changes this year. I haven't heard Bowie this year, so I don't really know how that has affected them. Round Rock, however, hasn't really changed. They still have the same head director and they are doing quite well despite losing a really strong assistant. That assistant went to Vista Ridge and is doing great things there. Keep your eyes and ears on Vista Ridge.

I arrived halfway through, and of the band's I've seen, CTJ, Reagan, Cedar Ridge, and New Braunfels have been standouts, with Stony Point, Churchill, and Lehman to come. Of those, Cedar Ridge had transportation issues, arrived after their performance time, and had a bit of a rough run, though still very good.

I also heard that Bowie, Round Rock, Hendrickson, Pflugerville, and Westwood were standouts during the first half of the day.

Westwood and Anderson (first two bands to perform) had solid performances, should be in finals.

Bowies show was stunning, I wouldn't be surprised if the took straight 1s.

Hendrickson had a great show as well, but I think playing right after Bowie might be negitive towards their score.

Round rock and cedar ridge did geat and should be finalists.

Reagan also rocked it, I could also see them getting first.

Churchill hasn't gone as of yet.

New Braunfels and Pflugerville had solid runs (I think...?), but definitely bubble bands.

Just my non judge observation opinion :-)