Realignment 2016-18: UIL and TMEA

I think Plano West has been trying the last few years as their shows appear to be getting better.   As for Plano Senior, they always chose not to compete beyond the standard UIL competition as they wanted to keep things more "fun" for the kids.  They qualified to move on last year after UIL, but chose not to.

However, they are under a new band director this year and I wonder whether they might start getting more serious in the marching competition.  They are going to Duncanville this year, so we'll see what the future holds!   I had a son a Plano East, but my daughter is at Plano Senior, so it's interesting seeing the different directions for the schools, although they are both excellent music programs.   I guess I will see if in another 5 years if the PSHS program develops into more of a marching program than it is when my youngest goes to school there.    

I think Plano West has been trying the last few years as their shows appear to be getting better.   As for Plano Senior, they always chose not to compete beyond the standard UIL competition as they wanted to keep things more "fun" for the kids.  They qualified to move on last year after UIL, but chose not to.

However, they are under a new band director this year and I wonder whether they might start getting more serious in the marching competition.  They are going to Duncanville this year, so we'll see what the future holds!   I had a son a Plano East, but my daughter is at Plano Senior, so it's interesting seeing the different directions for the schools, although they are both excellent music programs.   I guess I will see if in another 5 years if the PSHS program develops into more of a marching program than it is when my youngest goes to school there.    

Plano Senior's been adding more movement and difficulty to their visuals the last two years it seems. I think it was 2011 or so it seemed like the band hardly moved at all. I think them attending Duncanville (the first contest they've gone to apart from Mesquite since like, 2009) is a good clue that they'll attend the UIL area contest next year. I would really love it if they registered for their first ever BOA contest too but I won't get ahead of myself.

I also would love it if PESH started leaning more in a BOA direction. They're a really good UIL band that plays really well and they do place pretty decently at BOA San Antonio, but I feel like if they added more flair to their show they could really excel.

Each of the senior highs send roughly 7-10 all staters to TMEA each year, so I just feel like there's so much potential for excellent marching programs.

• 1 month later...

UIL announced their cutoffs this morning:  http://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/Conference_Cutoffs_2016-18_Alignment1.pdf

6A - 2150
5A - 1100
4A - 480
3A - 221
2A - 105

TMEA previously announced Region Alilgnments:  http://www.tmea.org/divisions-regions/regions/realignment-project

Region-Area alignments for marching to be announced December 18th.

From Austin-American Statesmen....

Attendance numbers as of October 30th:

CLASS 6A

• Del Valle: 3,236
  • Round Rock: 3,185
  • Hendrickson: 3,077
  • Bowie: 2,909
  • Cedar Ridge: 2,852
  • Westwood: 2,765
  • Stony Point: 2,736
  • Akins: 2,720.5
  • McNeil: 2,717
  • Lake Travis: 2,697
  • Hays: 2,613
  • Westlake: 2,583
  • Anderson: 2,274
  • Vandegrift: 2,255
  • Vista Ridge: 2,250
  • Pflugerville: 2,229
  • Leander: 2,187

CLASS 5A

• Austin High: 2,081
  • Rouse: 2,006
  • Connally: 1,977
  • Cedar Park: 1,949
  • LBJ: 1,896
  • Georgetown: 1,876.5
  • Hutto: 1,775
  • McCallum: 1,733
  • Lanier: 1,751
  • Crockett: 1,472
  • East View: 1,527.5
  • Lockhart: 1,520
  • Travis: 1,435.5
  • Cedar Creek: 1,434
  • Bastrop: 1,348
  • Reagan: 1,314.

However the Austin area gets split, it should be interesting now.

Also, like someone said in a different thread, go ahead and ship the 2017 5A championship to Cedar Park

You never know who will rise or fall in two years. A little too early to say that for certain. Lots of great bands in 5A still.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I remember exactly what the map initially projected but new Area C was projected to be kinda "the middle of the triangle" so to speak from Flower Mound to North Dallas and Mesquite, but notably skipping Plano/Frisco/Coppell. It was a bit of a hodgepodge to be honest. But I believe that Duncanville's region stayed the same, so the Grand Prairie schools and DeSoto and the like would have been Area D as well, if I'm not mistaken.

However, final realignments come out in about 12 days, so we'll see how it shakes out for good!

• 2 weeks later...

Some quick notes:

6A:

- Area A took away the north and west Fort Worth area schools - I suppose they may go back to just one area competition. I'm supposing about four spots are up for grabs.

- Area B is still a little tough, and probably the toughest of 6A - should comfortably advance five, but six is a stretch. A good band or two will get left out (if you can imagine Duncanville or Coppell getting left out of state, this new Area would be why)

- Area C made out surprisingly well. Lewisville schools have a pretty easy ride, but now we can see North Mesquite, Rowlett and Sasche potentially advance, along with McKinney and Wylie moving up. 5 spots here, I think.

- Area D is pretty similar. I think the Cy-Fair schools will have a tough time here on out advancing, even with about six spots to go around.

- Area E is effectively no different, but with a couple of very strong old Area F schools replacing Cy-Fair. Thinking four advance out.

- Area F is pretty similar in the grand scope of things, minus Friendswood and Brazoswood, notably. I see 5 or 6 advancing, but probably closer to five.

- Area G is just cut by a region, but will still advance about 5 or 6.

- Area H is pretty much a given for Leander ISD, like Area C and the other LISD. Will probably claw (successfully) to advance four.

5A:

- Area A: see 6A

- Area B is a tougher go, with probably only four bands advancing now. Notably, three bands in this new Area were finalists this year.

- Area C won't advance more than four, probably even three in a tough year. This could leave a great band out.

- Area D actually has room to advance four or five, so maybe expect a return from Seguin or McCallum to the SMBC

- Area E got a little shafted as all of Houston got merged into one Area. I think they may have about 5-7 spots, depending on the year.

- Area F is a little silly as an Area considering all of Houston is in one. This grouping can only count on three spots, meaning a band or two will get left out of state.

- Area G: see 6A

Overall, I think 6A is realigned very well. The areas are all as competitively balanced as they could be, and are all seeming like they'll send roughly equal numbers of competitors to state. 5A on the other hand is a bit more of a mess. 

I agree, 6A Marching is much more well balanced than it was previously.

6A Area B gets a little bit easier, moving 3x State Finalists out (FloMo, Hebron, Marcus) while only moving 2x State Finalists in (Coppell, Duncanville) in.

6A Area C gets a lot tougher, though, with the opposite swap. The positive thing is that it may be possible to take 5 instead of the normal 3/4. Only taking 4 would likely mean FloMo, Hebron, Marcus, and a huge fight for the 4th spot.

While Leander ISD has pretty easy in Area H, some of the better San Antonio bands (notably Sandra Day O'Conner) may have a tough time in getting the third or fourth state qualifier spot over Westlake or Lake Travis (especially Westlake).

At first glance I didn't catch this, but Westlake on UIL Forms is actually Region 18 with Austin ISD I believe. So with 11, 29 and 32 together that would only include the Leander ISD schools and Lake Travis I believe.

The schools we know will be there are Leander, Vandy and Vista. After that it's going to be a dog fight between Judson, O'Connor, Lake Travis, Wagner(maybe) and Stevens.