BOA Austin Schedule 9/26/2015

James Bowie most certainly is amazing early in the season, they look good and sound great.

Round Rock as well is good during early season. There visual though is what may hurt them when trying to place 1st. But this year i heard the approach is different, decreaseing the amount of winds on the field may help them look cleaner.

Leander is doing amazing right now, which isn't a surprise after last year.they definitely have a shot at 1st.

Cedar Ridge is the band that's been taking a beating on prediction's this year. Which is understandable after loseing Mark Calima. However they get better every year, there musicality may surprise alot of people. Plus there show is designed for national's, which may help them slip in the top 5.

Round Rock- I saw their show.They are (varsity) the cleanest I have ever seen them this early in the season. They are looking really good. Going to a varsity/jv format was a good idea.

Cedar Ridge- I don't think anyone is beating on them per say. They lost not one, but two directors, Calima and Brittain. This is a young program that lost the two directors that were there from the beginning and got them where they are. I expect to see them in finals at Austin, I still expect them to be good, but I don't see how losing those two cannot have some sort of impact on their program, even if they have a show designed for GN.

Westwood- Keep an eye on these guys. Their directors have been pushing their program the last couple of years. I will not be surprise to see them make finals at Austin. I also wouldn't be surprise to see them go to GN in a couple of years.

Westwood- Keep an eye on these guys. Their directors have been pushing their program the last couple of years. I will not be surprise to see them make finals at Austin. I also wouldn't be surprise to see them go to GN in a couple of years.

I'm really hoping that this year (if not the next) will be a breakout year for Westwood. Placing 13th at the UIL 6A State Marching Contest last year over bands that had beaten them earlier in the season (like Clements and Cedar Ridge) is extremely impressive for a band that doesn't seem to have a lot of history in terms of elite success (please correct if I'm wrong on that). Even if they don't make finals at BOA Austin, they will still have another opportunity at BOA Atlanta to grow upon last year's success. However, my fingers remain crossed for them to make finals at BOA Austin.

So my darkhorse is Vista Ridge, I'm incredibly impressed with what I'm seeing/hearing design wise and performance wise.  Think they could potentially do very well.  Hendrickson as well, last years show was just downright awesome, they seem to be on an upswing as well.  Agreed on Westwood as well.  

I do agree with the uncertainty this year which i love, these band programs can do anything. It gets harder every year, it seems that there always is one band being amazingly good out of the blue. often times however it can be the show that is well designed and executed. Like Anderson's 2011 show "goddess"  after that show they seemed to stop in progression as other groups leaped over them. The same as Lake Travis who in 2012 went on to compete at state, and now has been very quiet. However often times it is the luck of the kids who come into the program who are amazing musically. It is good for the directors to be more involved in the feeder schools so when they come in they understand the standard of the program. 

I feel that Area D just continues to form more and more into a blood bath district.  

Just to say real quick: Westlake still hasn't really started our third movement. We're gunning for all four by BoA Austin. Not sure what pace other bands are going at, but we're gonna have a lot of fun in the next two weeks.
Also not that relevant (I just feel like I need to mention it somewhere on this forum) but we've been invited to the 2017 Rose Bowl. I believe we last attended in 2003. We're all riding a pretty stoked hype train right now. BoA Austin should determine if it keeps on chugging along.

I'm really interested to see where Westwood, Cedar Ridge, Vista Ridge, and Leander land. Especially Vista Ridge who is looking amazing this year. Was last year their first time making finals at San Antonio? Because you can hardly tell from the video. Whether they're moving or standing still they're rocking it.

That's awesome! Make sure you wear two pairs of socks when you march in it, its really a life saver. Round Rocks gonna have three parts for Austin. Last year was Vista Ridges first time making any BOA event finals.

Thanks! I'll try and remember that!

Man, I knew it was their first time at SA, but any BOA events? Holy crap! That's really impressive. I can't wait to see where they are a few years from now.

I look forward to seeing RR with their new varsity streamlining. I've also heard that Bowie's show is going to be one for the books. The music and drill is supposedly crazy hard and apparently they are exceeding their usual level of high standards. Leander is always something to see too. If what I've heard is true, Bowie will astound again. Looking forward to how it will all play out. For the first time they will be at Texas Marching Classic. Their drumline is under new director and is phenomenal!!! Lots of new things to see this contest season!

I'm really hoping that this year (if not the next) will be a breakout year for Westwood. Placing 13th at the UIL 6A State Marching Contest last year over bands that had beaten them earlier in the season (like Clements and Cedar Ridge) is extremely impressive for a band that doesn't seem to have a lot of history in terms of elite success (please correct if I'm wrong on that). Even if they don't make finals at BOA Austin, they will still have other opportunities at BOA Conroe and BOA Atlanta to grow upon last year's success. However, my fingers remain crossed for them to make finals at BOA Austin.

It was the first time making state finals in the history of Westwood.  At the Band Banquet last year,  the seniors recalled coming in 23rd of 25 Bands in a BOA contest their freshman year, and building from there to making state finals. It's been fun to watch and an incredible amount of work.  We're proud of them!  I really like the show this year, interesting music.  

Okay so I've only watched a few bands today and I wrote down all the ones I got to see. I didn't get to watch Round Rock, Dripping Springs, Hendrickson or Cedar Ridge but I'm sure they were great. (Now I really wish I could have seen these amazing bands!) Here's what I thought of the bands I saw today in no particular order:

Leander- that first hit was incredible! GE was outstanding
Amazing, the first movement was really strong! I liked the concept of the show, and they are really good at performing! Choral Works! The singers were AWESOME!

Westlake-I really think that this show has a lot of potential. It was still early in the season, but I feel like they were very quiet for a lot of the show. The music had strengths at some points, mainly in 2nd and 3rd movement. Props looked pretty sweet, kinda like Lord of the Rings!

Pflugerville -Good music, plume shakes were super quirky, really added to GE. The soloist was well played but I feel like he drowned out the rest of the band.

Westwood-I really loved your show! The guitar was a cool addition, and you had a big sound as well!! Loved the little hand glider at the end!

Cedar Park- love your music choices! The rainbow flags make for a good big hit!!!! Quietly and fun! Nice guard toss!! Nailed it!!! Still is extremely clean!!! Those lines/ sets though!!! Visuals in the third movement are very fitting to the music

Vandergrift- this band never ceases to amaze me. Their marching is top notch for this early in the season. Cool circular drill in the beginning!!! Dang that first hit though!!! I loved the contrast between loud and soft throughout the show and I think you conveyed the galaxy show very well!

Vista Ridge- now I was really excited to see this band simply because I've heard good things about it. After watching it, I thought their drill was interesting, their colorguard was nice!(don't know how they did not get dizzy!!) Vista ridge has definitely improved over the last few years! Can't wait to see what they can accomplish! Still early in the season after all!

And Bowie nailed it of course!