4) Vista Ridge

5) Rouse

6) Connally

7) Leander

8) LBJ

9) McCallum

10) Lehman

11) Georgetown

That is a LOT of movement for everyone except for CP.

1) Vista Ridge - 1, 2, 1, 1, 4 = 9

2) Cedar Park - 2, 1, 5, 2, 2 = 12

3) Vandegrift - 3, 3, 2, 4, 1 = 13

4) Connally - 4, 5, 6, 3, 3 = 21

5) Leander - 5, 6, 3, 6, 6 = 26

6) Dripping Springs - 6, 4, 4, 5, 9 = 28 (even if that 9 in Marching had been a 3rd, it still wouldn't have been enough for DS to advance)

7) Rouse - 9, 10, 7, 7, 5 = 38

8) LBJ - 7, 7, 10, 8, 7 = 39

9) McCallum - 8, 8, 9, 9, 10 = 44

10) Lehman - 10, 9, 8, 10, 8 = 45

The only thing I'm for certain is that Vandegrift, Vista Ridge and Cedar Park are on a different level, at least on a UIL sheet.

First things first... It's just INSANE to me that all three of those schools in the same DISTRICT have equally unbelievable marching ensemble sounds (especially brass).

In prelims, Vandegrift was insanely gorgeous and was a clear first. They are starting to have a blend that reminds me of Marcus. However, in finals, they lost some of their momentum and dropped to 3rd but were still fabulous. In finals, Vista brought their refreshing energy to the field and it too was absolutely jaw dropping. Just some insane, rip roaring chords. Cedar Park in both performances displayed their signature field confidence and in your face sound, and ended up the middle man both times. Love how lush their ensemble sounds on that Barber and Tchaik.

It's ultimately going to come down to the performance.... I'm confident one of these three will be the state champion next Tuesday, folks

http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2013_AreaD_4A_Results_Prelims.pdf

http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2013_AreaD_4A_Results_Finals.pdf

We didn't get back to the stadium until the last third of the groups, and Seguin didn't make finals either, so that was all we got to see. However, Vandegrift clearly the best we saw in prelims, with CP a close second. Biggest surprise for us was Connally- we weren't honestly even sure they would make finals. Very tough competition, congrats to everyone.

Connally reminded me last night that as straight forward and predictable these contests appear to be sometimes, you can never count out anyone or anything. I personally had this limited to 5 bands with even a chance to advance, but had Connally as the one band that could make things interest...and that they did. Sorry for underestimating you Connally, when you think about it, they've always been around that bubble, even with all the shifting that has occurred in the Area. They will represent the Area very well, and I think will also be a finalist at state!

As for the top 3, who knows how what will shake out at state. I like that these three bands bring very different things to the table, and while I don't know if a medal sweep is possible, I do know it will be hard to top all 3 of these bands. As a Vista alum, gotta say I'm proud of my alma mater and district for what they've accomplished this season. Good to see Vista return to state. Props to Rouse too for being in the thick of things, reminding us that it's a 5 band district!

http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2013_AreaD_4A_Results_Prelims.pdf

http://www.uilmusicregion18.com/pdfs/2013_AreaD_4A_Results_Finals.pdf

We didn't get back to the stadium until the last third of the groups, and Seguin didn't make finals either, so that was all we got to see. However, Vandegrift clearly the best we saw in prelims, with CP a close second. Biggest surprise for us was Connally- we weren't honestly even sure they would make finals. Very tough competition, congrats to everyone.

Clearly everyone has opinions but Connally was not a surprise for finals. They werent as flashly but had a very clean show with some of the hardest musical arrangements.

Clearly everyone has opinions but Connally was not a surprise for finals. They werent as flashly but had a very clean show with some of the hardest musical arrangements.

Didn't mean they were a surprise for finals, I still expected them to make it, I just wasn't as sure of them as I was of, say, Cedar Park. When I said I was surprised, I meant I was surprised that they qualified for states- sorry for not being clear. They did have a very difficult and well-executed show.  :)

The more I think about it the more Connally really isn't a surprise. In their past 2 area trips, they barely missed state in 5A in 2008 (7th, with 6 advancing), and were 6th in 4A (4 advancing) in a tough 2011 Area D. After a few tough trips, they really deserved a good outcome. Prior to that they were a consistent 4A state finalist. Good to see them back.

I really do wonder about Drip though...Really thought they had one of the cleanest shows from the videos (but then again, that's video).

DS had a timeing issue during their second movement that caused their drop to 6. Even the best teams sometimes fumble at the goal line. A small mistake will hurt you in a tight competition no matter how great you are; other bands can learn from this, first time since 2005 that DS didn't make it past area.

Not to take anything away from any of the advancing bands; they earned their slots.  

Looking at the scores, the suggestion that the timing issue is what got DS isn't accurate. Their music placement improved from prelims to finals. It was the marching placement that got them.

In the prelims they were 6, 4, 6 music and 1, 5 marching.  In finals they were 6, 4, 4 music and 5, 9 marching.  That +8 was the largest deviation in marching scores of any finals band and ultimately what kept them out of the mix.

I saw seven of the 10 finalists' prelim runs and all the finals including both of DS's runs. Their finals run was IMO markedly cleaner across the board than their morning prelim but maybe I missed something. It would be interesting to know what that judge saw.