Area D is going to be more of a heck hole than I even imagined. Out of the 9 bands there 7 were from 4A Area D, 8 including exibition. Baritonegod44, Lehman played well (referring a post in the Dark Horses thread), and I admit that they have some volume and a very cool show concept, but in the end they got judged second to last. Its not because they are a bad band (my friend from Amarillo was blown away by them, the first hit and all); its just because Area D is so freaking hard. Vista Ridge, Leander, Vandergrift, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, and maybe Hendrickson seem like the strongest contenders out of the bands I have heard.

At least someone else also sees that Lehman has an awesome show but they just a bad finals draw at vista.

I was at Region 26 last night and the last block had the big 4 Leander ISD schools one after the other.  What a block! Just my thoughts...

Cedar Park - seems like they are starting to pull away from the others a bit.  The show is now getting some good visual and musical polish on it. They've added some very nice visuals that help to sell the Romeo & Juliet theme- you really get that Montague/Capulet animosity. There are some ferocious chords particularly in the final movement that just make you want to cry, they're so gorgeous.  The brass in the ballad are just right and the woodwind run in the opener is now really clean and clear. They're just achieving a level of refinement that is getting very high.

As far as who's next, right now, I really have Leander, Vandegrift, and Vista Ridge all right together. They're just all so good.

Leander - they have come so far from the beginning of the season. Lots of power and intensity, but subtle when they need to be. This is a hard show! Visually, lots of body movement that is almost but not quite there yet. Musically, though, wow they are sounding quite good. The woodwinds were just on fire. Their ballad (mvt. 3of of Hindemiths Symphonic Metamorphosis) has a lovely juxtaposition of brass in the backfield playing the melody and woodwinds in the front doing fantastic runs.  It sounds great, y'all. They also have great speed and show off all the sections nicely on Shostakovich #10, mvt. 2. Very nice guard, also. Really help to convey the underwater theme nicely. 

Vandegrift - it was very good! They have perhaps the best guard of the LISD schools. Huge and effective! I love the black and white swan flags they use in the opener. Very sharp work.  The band definitely brings the intensity and volume and drill velocity.  There are few spots where I feel as though the balance of the chords could be a little bit more refined. They have some sweet moments like the snowflake set in Journey Through the Snow that are just sublime.  

Vista Ridge - every time I see them, it seems as though the volume and intensity have been increased 10x - which is great!  The entire trumpet section are just spot on. So crisp and clean and clear and focused. Delightful! The soloists and solis are magnificent. The dance team of Scheherezades are great and have added some effective props. They just added a bunch of great little touches that really help to bring out the character and flavor of this music. Also, best drum break of the day with both fantastic marching during it and wonderfully intense drumline playing. 

Who knows what will happen at Area D?  It is sure to be a great contest, no matter what. I'll be out of town and will have to miss it, which may be OK for me as I'd be a nervous wreck. Haha! 

So after looking for results, I've only found that Region 12 (Northeast San Antonio) has 4 bands that received ones. Region 26 (North Austin suburbs) had 11 bands go today, and Region 18 (Austin proper and South Austin suburbs) have 12 on Tuesday. Region 8 (North and East Central Texas) had 4 bands today. I can't find region 26 and 8 results, but I would suppose they pushed about 9 bands through today for a total of about 13 now. There are certainly at least five bands who should get a 1 in Region 18, and a couple more who could as well, so hitting 20 may happen. I believe and hope that 4 will likely be the magic number for Area D, but there seems to be a chance that it might only be 3. Area D may be a dog fight in finals.

So after looking for results, I've only found that Region 12 (Northeast San Antonio) has 4 bands that received ones. Region 26 (North Austin suburbs) had 11 bands go today, and Region 18 (Austin proper and South Austin suburbs) have 12 on Tuesday. Region 8 (North and East Central Texas) had 4 bands today. I can't find region 26 and 8 results, but I would suppose they pushed about 9 bands through today for a total of about 13 now. There are certainly at least five bands who should get a 1 in Region 18, and a couple more who could as well, so hitting 20 may happen. I believe and hope that 4 will likely be the magic number for Area D, but there seems to be a chance that it might only be 3. Area D may be a dog fight in finals.

Region 26 sent 10 yesterday (Rouse, Elgin, Marble Falls, East View, G'Town, Hutto, Leander, Cedar Park, Vandegrift and Vista Ridge)or am I missing one?  Region 8 only sent one band — Waco — to go with the four from Region 12 — Brackenridge, Clemens, Alamo Heights and Seguin.  Fifteen bands so far in Area D with Region 18 contest on Tuesday.  Wonder if 10 of the 12 from Region 18 get through to give Area D five tickets to state?  I think Dripping Springs, Vista Ridge, Vandegrift, & Cedar Park are all easily top 10 in the state with Leander arguably a top 10-12 in state.  Would be a travesty for one of those schools to get left out.  Edit: Hays from Region 18 is IMO a top 20 band as well so at least one deserving band and maybe even two won't advance which really stinks.  Area D is just brutal.

Looks like Area D is pretty locked in to sending 4 bands, which is a bummer considering the strength of the top 5 bands. Looking at the Region 18 bands, it looks like a guaranteed 6 bands, with probably a maximum of 8? 9 on a good day, maybe. Just don't see there being 10 bands out of that region, if that's what it takes to get to 25. Getting 1 band out of region 12 definitely didn't help. The strong showing from 26 tried to cancel that out, but looks like we'll have to squeeze 5 great bands into 4 spots. Makes it more exciting I suppose!

List of bands in performance order:

1. Georgetown

2. Leander

3. Dripping Springs

4. Vista Ridge

5. Seguin

6. Hays

7. Hutto

8. McCallum

9. Elgin

10. Alamo Heights

11. Lehman

12. Rouse

13. Clemens

14. East View

15. Crockett

16. University

17. Vandegrift

18. Brackenridge

19. Cedar Park

20. LBJ

21. Corsicana

22. Marble Falls

23 Connally

My Finalists in random order: Georgetown, Leander, Dripping Springs, Vista Ridge, Hays, McCallum, Rouse, Vandegrift, Cedar Park, and Connally.

The 4 bands advancing to state will be Vista Ridge, Dripping Springs, Vandegrift and Cedar Park.

Its going to be an amazing contest. Can't wait to see how things pan out. Saturday can't get here sooner.

I can't wait to see how all the LISD schools do now that they're back in the same area after 5 years apart. It'll be interesting to see which advance on. No matter the configuration, it'll be a great representation of the school district! I'm supposing that it'll be Dripping Springs, Cedar Park, Vandegrift and Leander in some order, but Vista Ridge advancing wouldn't be a surprise either.

Finalists:

Cedar Park, Vista Ridge, Vandegrift, Leander, Rouse, Dripping Springs, Connally, Georgetown, LBJ/Lehman/Hays/McCallum

Finals projection with appropriate dose of bias to my school and Leander ISD...

**1. Cedar Park

**2. Vista Ridge

**3. Vandegrift

**4. Leander

5. Dripping Springs

Totally guessing based on hearsay and past results: 

6. Connally

7. Georgetown

8. Rouse

9. LBJ

10. Lehman/Hays/McCallum

Leander has a weird show, and I can't really seem to put my finger on why? Their show is more BOA than UIL? But that never seems to stop marcus. Their drill is different than Vandegrift's, Cedar Park's, and Vista Ridge's drill. Less symmetrical maybe? More showey and less drum corp-esq? They have a hard show that they perform, however there is something different about it and I don't know what...