2013 BOA Grand Nationals

I'm going to play the "what if" game. In semi-finals, the lowest placing Texas band was LD Bell in 8th place. IF Hebron, CTJ, and James Bowie had attended this year, Texas could have had 8 finalists! (you know, assuming every other factor stays constant with the judging).

But really, I can't imagine what would have happened if Hebron had gone. I think they could have possibly been the first band to win Grand Nats (or be the first runner-up too I think) on their first trip to Indianapolis!

Can you imagine how much Texas bands would dominate Grand Nationals if the event was held in a Texas city like Dallas?  It would leave the rest of the nation calling unfair and demanding they move it back to Indianapolis so that the other bands would have more of a chance.

But also they'd rightly want it moved back because Cowboys Stadium is a horrible horrible venue for Marching Band.... :(

ame="knoxisawesome348" post="86770" timestamp="1384671837"]I'm going to play the "what if" game. In semi-finals, the lowest placing Texas band was LD Bell in 8th place. IF Hebron, CTJ, and James Bowie had attended this year, Texas could have had 8 finalists! (you know, assuming every other factor stays constant with the judging).

But really, I can't imagine what would have happened if Hebron had gone. I think they could have possibly been the first band to win Grand Nats (or be the first runner-up too I think) on their first trip

So..... Unless you were in Indianapolis and actually saw, heard and witnessed how Round Rock performed I doubt Hebron , Bowie or Regan would have stopped them.... "Though nothing against them" . Those Round Rock kids deserved that placement just as any other band who would have marched and played as we'll as they did. The buzz that was created in the stands was like nothing I had seen or heard before from any another one band. This was their break out moment! Don't take that away from them.

Those 5 Texas Bands are the ones that went, they are the ones that performed and they are they ones that should be praised... Not this meaningless stuff about if "so and so" band went.. They would have"....

Everyone on this forum knows judging is subjective and personal, RR Never lost its placement from semi finals to finals... Hard to question that...

IMO.. I hope that RR starts to get the praise for the incredible band they are. And all this said. I have no dog in the fight... Just so amazed at the great job RR did last night and they way they represented Texas!

You're right, I shouldnt take anything away from them. I did watch the live stream and RR deserves everything they have achieved. But when you said the even if Hebron and Bowie went they wouldnt have been able to stop them....come on lets be serious. If Hebron and Bowie wouldve gone, it wouldve been deja vu.

You're right, I shouldnt take anything away from them. I did watch the live stream and RR deserves everything they have achieved. But when you said the even if Hebron and Bowie went they wouldnt have been able to stop them....come on lets be serious. If Hebron and Bowie wouldve gone, it wouldve been deja vu.[/quot.

Do we really need to start going down this path of what if X Y or Z band was there???

I wasn't trying to diminish the accomplishments of any particular band with my comment, I was just trying to have fun and infer if Texas could have dominated any more than they already did. Round Rock had 3 outstanding performances across Friday and Saturday and they definitely deserved the placements they received. They really cleaned between San Antonio and Indianapolis and it paid off, winning the semis music caption and almost the semis visual caption as well along with Avon. If they had won visual performance in semis, like I said earlier, I believe they would have been the first Texas band to do so. 

I'm not necessarily trying to play the "what-if" game with these comments for no reason, but instead I'm trying to highlight the high levels of musical achievement so many Texas bands have realized. Didn't think I would instigate a debate in any way, as all I said was that "Hebron could have won or been runner-up." It wasn't a hit at the Dragon Band at all and I think it's simply amazing they and Cedar Ridge, two schools from the same district, proved a lot of people wrong (myself included) based on how freakin' well they would do their first attempt at grand nationals. It's not very common for a band to make finals their first trip to Indy let alone score in the top 5, and both of these bands really shut everyone up with their "on the bubble" talk. I guess we all should have known :)

Hopefully getting 4th place at Grand Nationals and a Rose Parade invitation was redemption for placing 14th last year at UIL Area. I know I would be ecstatic. Hope to see the two RRISD bands next year in the state competition!

Wow, this is just about the best outcome Texas could have hoped for with respect to the Grand Nats Finals. It kinda solidifies our spot in the hierarchy of the band world. We pretty much showed the rest of the nation that the Grand Nationals needs to be moved around to different places, although I'm sure Music for All have their contracts with Lucas Oil Stadium. 

Seriously, though, how much talent is missed at every GN because of location? This also doesn't include all the fantastic Florida and California bands. Tarpon Springs? Etiwanda? I found it impressive that Ayala also made finals as one of the few California bands there. 

Either way, super proud year for Texas bands! I can't wait til Hebron announces that they're going to Nats. I'm definitely booking tickets and hotel rooms early if they ever say that they'll go!

I wasn't trying to diminish the accomplishments of any particular band with my comment, I was just trying to have fun and infer if Texas could have dominated any more than they already did. Round Rock had 3 outstanding performances across Friday and Saturday and they definitely deserved the placements they received. They really cleaned between San Antonio and Indianapolis and it paid off, winning the semis music caption and almost the semis visual caption as well along with Avon. If they had won visual performance in semis, like I said earlier, I believe they would have been the first Texas band to do so. 

I'm not necessarily trying to play the "what-if" game with these comments for no reason, but instead I'm trying to highlight the high levels of musical achievement so many Texas bands have. Didn't think I would instigate a debate in any way, as all I said was that "Hebron could have won or been runner-up." It wasn't a hit at the Dragon Band at all and I think it's simply amazing they and Cedar Ridge, two schools from the same district, proved a lot of people wrong (myself included) based on how freakin' well they would do their first attempt at grand nationals. It's not very common for a band to make finals their first trip to Indy let alone score in the top 5, and both of these bands really shut everyone up with their "on the bubble" talk. I guess we all should have known :)

Hopefully getting 4th place at Grand Nationals and a Rose Parade invitation was redemption for placing 14th last year at UIL Area. I know I would be ecstatic. Hope to see the two RRISD bands next year in the state competition!

I'll back you up. All he's trying to say is we brought our 1,8,9,10,11 bands from Texas, and placed 1,4,5,10,11 at grand nationals. It's not hard to imagine that if we brought more of those 2-7 bands (minus Blue Springs) the result would've been even more impressive. I think it's just amazing that (and the results don't lie) in this particular year, the SA regional was harder than the grand nationals. I think that's a tribute to what an amazing year Texas had, and a tribute to a few typical bands missing from GN (but I think it's more so the first one B) )

Would also like to give props to the Woodlands and Round Rock for some impressive pacing of their show. I think they definitely had shows that were intended to peak at grand nationals, and they obviously did. Of course I think all these bands did, but I think it was most apparent for these two bands...especially the Woodlands considering their were able to win SA with a show that really hadn't even peaked yet. Major props to that staff for designing this show. It's a show that definitely grew on me over the year.

It was pretty cool hearing band after band being called and realizing that Round Rock was in the top 4.

My favorite part of watching the live cast was seeing the close ups of Marcus' show. Those kids really got into the theme. I'm also glad that they didn't have that perpetual mic issue with their sax solo at the end of the show in finals. 

Soooo proud of the TX bands. Texas was well represented!

I'm not necessarily trying to play the "what-if" game with these comments for no reason, but instead I'm trying to highlight the high levels of musical achievement so many Texas bands have realized. Didn't think I would instigate a debate in any way, as all I said was that "Hebron could have won or been runner-up." It wasn't a hit at the Dragon Band at all and I think it's simply amazing they and Cedar Ridge, two schools from the same district, proved a lot of people wrong (myself included) based on how freakin' well they would do their first attempt at grand nationals. It's not very common for a band to make finals their first trip to Indy let alone score in the top 5, and both of these bands really shut everyone up with their "on the bubble" talk. I guess we all should have known :)