UIL 4A State Marching Contest

2011 Dripping Springs and Vandegrift were playing the same music; it all depends on Your final 2 performances. At State during prelims, DS played their best show of the year and CP made straight 1's; CP nailed it again in finals. You never know until last note is played.

I know  :)  I just want to compare the arrangements!

I agree with a lot of the thoughts you have on state, but I see very differently on Frisco Centennial if you watch their show as it progress from when they started back in early October to now, it has improved significantly! I believe that their show could do really well this year. It all depends on the band as a whole and how hard they work from here to Area. I have been paying attention to other bands like Poteet and Cedar Park and they are obvious choices to move to state, but I do not want to make assumptions of finals results at state until we are past the Area point.

Is Poteet drastically improved from last year? They finished last year several spots behind Dripping Springs, Dawson, and Waxahachie at DMI last year, and all 3 of those bands are much better this year.

There is a strong possibility that all 3 medalists will be coming from Area D (DS, Vandy, CP).  Friendswood could sneak up in there (or maybe win the whole thing...depends on the day).

I'm a big believer in Friendswood this year. I'm not sure why as I'm not from there, and I honestly have not paid much attention to them up until this year. Their music and visual design are difficult, but not so difficult that they won't be clean by state. That said, here is my very early guess at state top 5:

1. Cedar Park HS

2. Friendswood HS

3. Dripping Springs HS

4. Leander HS

5. Vandegrift HS

I find it simply amazing the amount of transformation that has happened in 4A over the past several years. The amount of bands in 4A that have either sprung up or have just flat out gotten better is staggering! 4A has always been competitive, but now.... it's just flat out ridiculous!!! Cannot wait to see this contest in a few weeks!

I believe that you guys are leaving out other bands that could possibly make it to finals. If you guys are watching each one I understand, but think back 2 years watch the finalists from that years performance then watch their current performance. I think that this year is going to be really tense for all of the bands in 4A as I know that in Area B only 4 are going onto state since a lot of good bands surprisingly got 2's at UIL. So don't count some bands out just yet. Wait till after Area this weekend

I have been watching some of the 4A Area F regions go today.

Region 10 had 7 bands qualify this past Saturday. 1 band will probably no go because they never partcipate in Area.

Region 19 had 6 bands qualify this past Saturday.

Region 9 today had ALL 8 4A bands make a 1!!! That's at least 20 bands and we're still waiting for Region 17 scores to come up!

This would be the first time Area F has a prelims and finals since I can remember!

Potentially 4 bands going to state from Area F with Pearland Dawson and Friendswood going for sure barring anything catostrophic.

Was at Region 9 earlier (they're still not done yet, though 4A finished awhile ago as Rocketfan stated).  Keep an eye out for Tomball Memorial as a dark horse this year.....by far the best band of the 4A block, even earning a standing ovation. This is their first year with a full 9-12 class since splitting from Tomball HS.  I have little doubt they'll make it to state, and could potentially make a push for finals.

Both Magnolia and Magnolia West will make their first appearance at Area since Magnolia split in 2006.

Area F has only sent 2 bands each state year for at least a decade.  This year they will send 4.....exciting times for this Area!

Yep.....13 is the most they've had attend Area.  There will always be at least 2 that advance, but you need 15 to show in order to reach the magical 3 slots (unless you advance to state on an ordinal exception, like Galena Park did in 2009).

Also, this could be the first year in awhile that we see a 4A military style band at the SMBC.  Friendswood and Dawson have had the monopoly on the 2 Area F state-slots for quite awhile.  Area F 2011 went: 1. Friendswood, 2. Dawson, 3. Clear Falls, 4. Huntsville (miltary), 5. Willis (military).  Since Clear Falls is now 5A, and Area F is sending 4 bands, one of the multitude of military bands could take the #4 spot if Tomball Memorial nabs the #3 (which I'm sure they will).

4A Military style bands in Area F that got a 1 this year: Huntsville, Willis, Montgomery, Vidor, Nederland, Crosby

Yep.....13 is the most they've had attend Area.  There will always be at least 2 that advance, but you need 15 to show in order to reach the magical 3 slots (unless you advance to state on an ordinal exception, like Galena Park did in 2009).

Also, this could be the first year in awhile that we see a 4A military style band at the SMBC.  Friendswood and Dawson have had the monopoly on the 2 Area F state-slots for quite awhile.  Area F 2011 went: 1. Friendswood, 2. Dawson, 3. Clear Falls, 4. Huntsville (miltary), 5. Willis (military).  Since Clear Falls is now 5A, and Area F is sending 4 bands, one of the multitude of military bands could take the #4 spot if Tomball Memorial nabs the #3 (which I'm sure they will).

4A Military style bands in Area F that got a 1 this year: Huntsville, Willis, Montgomery, Vidor, Nederland, Crosby

Dawson won Area F in 2011.

I didn't march military in high school but have a healthy respect for the marching style. I don't think Nederland will be in it. They never choose to participate in area. I questioned this and a student did ask their director. This is from a youtube comment they posted.

"Alright so I got my band directors to answer why we don't go....apparently they're are certain things on the area contest judging rubric that we don't follow and therefore if we went would automatically lose points. One of my directors mentioned something about it with us not having a pit...and we, well, would ever use one of those.  We just don't go because its a waste of a weekend apparently."

Maybe Poteet isn't what they used to be, but don't think they won't do well at State. Their shows are always fast-paced and are never "pretty shows" like you would see from schools like Marcus or Bell. They also don't use props, so their whole perfomance is judged solely on marching and musicality. I was at Aledo with my band and I saw Poteet (who got 2nd) and Ducanville (1st) perform in the Finals and I've gotta say, Poteet deserved 1st from the moment they ended their show, and we all knew it.

Maybe Poteet isn't what they used to be, but don't think they won't do well at State. Their shows are always fast-paced and are never "pretty shows" like you would see from schools like Marcus or Bell. They also don't use props, so their whole perfomance is judged solely on marching and musicality. I was at Aledo with my band and I saw Poteet (who got 2nd) and Ducanville (1st) perform in the Finals and I've gotta say, Poteet deserved 1st from the moment they ended their show, and we all knew it.

are you from poteet