Best and worst Sportsmanship

I really hope this thread can stay positive.

Let's be really honest here: If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can pretty much call any program out for having "bad sportsmanship". OMG THAT KID COUGHED DURING BELL'S SHOW! JERK!! EVERYONE IN HIS BAND MUST ACT LIKE JERKS!!!!!

Personally, I didn't see or hear much of anything negative going on in the stands. What I did see what Round Rock's parents all over the place! I saw the SFA people standing up for every single program in Finals. We got to talk briefly with a few of the Flower Mound parents and they were awesome!

I really hope this thread can stay positive.

Let's be really honest here: If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can pretty much call any program out for having "bad sportsmanship". OMG THAT KID COUGHED DURING BELL'S SHOW! JERK!! EVERYONE IN HIS BAND MUST ACT LIKE JERKS!!!!!

Personally, I didn't see or hear much of anything negative going on in the stands. What I did see what Round Rock's parents all over the place! I saw the SFA people standing up for every single program in Finals. We got to talk briefly with a few of the Flower Mound parents and they were awesome!

Your absolutely right... It was meant to give props to those that stand out..

The Woodlands kids are some of the nicest I've ever met! I don't know who told you they were dismissive but I believe heavily they are wrong
Danpod is right, that I shouldn't let a specific interaction negatively color my opinion of the group. The alumni I spoke to after finals were wonderful, and I really shouldn't have critisized. I retract that portion of my statement, but maintain that the Flower Mound and LD Bell folks I spoke with during prelims were fantastic. EDIT: I don't need to explain an opinion that I'm retracting anyway. Edited by Anteok

Not a real surprise for me, but I was behind some Marcus kids, waiting in a breezeway. You could tell who the upperclassmen were(and most likely part of the leadership), because they were making sure the other kids remained quiet and respectful. Truly a class act. I also didn't see any rude kids or parents yesterday or Friday. Everyone was very gracious and sportsman-like. :)

What I noticed was a lot of people checking this site to see what Dan and Dan's comments were after every performance.

darn right they were! Tons of viewers this weekend and I believe we set some records with site traffic in a single day!!! We'll be doing it all over again Monday and Tuesday!

Marcus parents provided to be incredibly gracious. I was wearing our circus show shirt, and while parents/students from several schools stopped me to comment on the FloMo show, Marcus parents went out of their way to offer kudos. So very nice of them. What an amazing amount of talent there is in our little community!

One thing that struck me as odd was that at least from my vantage point, Leander was the only school that did not participate in the wave. I'm sure they were given that directive, and it really means nothing to me either way, but I just thought "Really? Let them have some fun". Side note - the slow motion wave was hilarious

I'm signed into my son's account right now but I wanted to mention that an adult with a Marcus shirt on had an extra ticket and approached me (I was with my 5 year old daughter) and offered me his extra admission ticket for free as I was about to get into the ticket line. I did offer to pay but he refused. He was very nice and said he just didn't want the ticket to go to waste. My son is in the Round Rock band but I didn't have a Round Rock shirt on at the time. I did talk with the man as we walked into the dome and told him I was a Round Rock parent. What a great random act of kindness!

Marcus parents provided to be incredibly gracious. I was wearing our circus show shirt, and while parents/students from several schools stopped me to comment on the FloMo show, Marcus parents went out of their way to offer kudos. So very nice of them. What an amazing amount of talent there is in our little community!

One thing that struck me as odd was that at least from my vantage point, Leander was the only school that did not participate in the wave. I'm sure they were given that directive, and it really means nothing to me either way, but I just thought "Really? Let them have some fun". Side note - the slow motion wave was hilarious

Yes. Marcus parents are always gracious, and btw LOVE FloMo's circus show! ;)

I also noticed the band that didn't participate in the wave. Didn't know who it was, though. Haltom was on the other side of the dome. I also thought it was most likely a directive and that it was too bad. The wave has become quite a tradition at BOA SA. It's part of the fun of the whole thing. I dislike seeing any band having to "sit it out." :( The slow wave was fun!

I also noticed the band that didn't participate in the wave. Didn't know who it was, though. Haltom was on the other side of the dome. I also thought it was most likely a directive and that it was too bad. The wave has become quite a tradition at BOA SA. It's part of the fun of the whole thing. I dislike seeing any band having to "sit it out." :( The slow wave was fun!

Haha! I'm pretty sure we have the coolest directors ever, and they could care less if we participated in the wave or not... Doing the wave has sort of become a superstitious thing among the student body because the first year we didn't participate in the wave was the first year we made BOA San Antonio Finals. As for having fun, I'm pretty sure one of the priorities of the Leander Band is having fun, I mean in what other programs does a director get slimed on Halloween, play soccer with the students, and let students enjoy a fireworks show during a warm-up before finals... Sure placing in competitions is a cool thing, but we like to stay together as a family first, and have fun while doing it...

And that goes to show that first impressions aren't always the entire picture! Cheers everyone ;)...

Haha! I'm pretty sure we have the coolest directors ever, and they could care less if we participated in the wave or not... Doing the wave has sort of become a superstitious thing among the student body because the first year we didn't participate in the wave was the first year we made BOA San Antonio Finals. As for having fun, I'm pretty sure one of the priorities of the Leander Band is having fun, I mean in what other programs does a director get slimed on Halloween, play soccer with the students, and let students enjoy a fireworks show during a warm-up before finals... Sure placing in competitions is a cool thing, but we like to stay together as a family first, and have fun while doing it...

And that goes to show that first impressions aren't always the entire picture! Cheers everyone ;)...

Actually, I've never known our program to do the wave at any competition we've attended. It's something that started before I entered the program and was instilled by past directors. However, like you said, our program definitely had/has fun regardless!

I was sitting in front of a family from Marcus and behind some Cedar Park moms. I kept noticing the moms on the liveblog, haha. And the Marcus family were all very nice and my interactions with their band, the staff, and their parents just keep making me love them more and more. I think I'm officially a Marcus fangirl now, haha :P

And that goes to show that first impressions aren't always the entire picture! Cheers everyone ;) ...

Well, just to clarify, never meant that y'all never get to have fun just because I thought y'all weren't "allowed" to participate in the wave. Never intended it to mean that you were required to be stiff-lipped during your entire band life. Just that it really stood out from the other side of the dome that y'all weren't participating in the wave with the rest of the bands. There are directives for certain things, like not cheering for yourself when your band is announced. That's the only reason anyone would think that's what was going on with the wave. Did not intend to say that y'all's director is a fuddy-duddy all the time or something. I think it was a fair assumption, based on the information we had at the time, that your lack of participation was a directive, though. Thanks for the clarification! & congrats to you!

Have been volunteering at this event for six years now though the host band (my band kid graduated 2yrs ago). I have met hundreds, thousands of kids and they are always great. I have also met many, many parents, directors, staff, etc and for the most part, everyone is just great. There have been a few very notable exceptions, believe me ;) . But to me the biggest standout is Marcus. They are the most courteous and 'friendliest' folks that I have ever encountered at BOA. The 'ol parent is impressed when the band director goes out of his way (2yrs ago) to introduce himself and shake my hand. I cannot recall anyone else doing this.

Well at retreat for BOA San Antonio this year, I got in a group with kids from the Woodlands, CTJ, Round Rock, and Reagan. We all got in a circle, placed our shakos in the middle, and put our arms on each other's shoulders. Then we did the Hokey Pokey. I think that at that point, we didn't really care about the rankings, we were just glad to be there. That's what BOA is all about, right? It's also what I love about retreat. :)

BTW--I saw pictures posted this afternoon of the Marcus and Hebron kids hugging and congratulating each other in the parking lot after the contest Tuesday night. I know these two schools are in the same school district but you would assume they would be at each other's throats. It looked like a cool scene and reminds you what this thing is all about.

Edited by Statebound

BTW--I saw pictures posted this afternoon of the Marcus and Hebron kids hugging and congratulating each other in the parking lot after the contest Tuesday night. I know these two schools are in the same school district but you would assume they would be at each other's throats. It looked like a cool scene and reminds you what this thing is all about.

Actually all of the LISD bands are very supportive of each other, particularly when it comes to competitions. These kids may be in different schools, but they live in the same community and see each other in other contexts. Marcus was really thrilled that Hebron placed 2nd (and not because it was one behind them). That was a huge accomplishment for the fine arts department in our district.

Actually all of the LISD bands are very supportive of each other, particularly when it comes to competitions. These kids may be in different schools, but they live in the same community and see each other in other contexts. Marcus was really thrilled that Hebron placed 2nd (and not because it was one behind them). That was a huge accomplishment for the fine arts department in our district.

I want to add that at BOA SA, Marcus cheered for the bands that were announced from their school district, much like Haltom and Richland and Birdville HS's support and cheer for each other. I think it's wonderful. :) It's true that they live in the same community and often go to church together or work together, etc. Birdville ISD also has a college training center for all three schools. The kids end up in classes together as well. Going to the Tournament of Roses Parade two years ago as one, gigantic band also built a lot of friendships. It should be more common for the bands from the same district to cheer one another on. It's a heart-warming sight to see!

At the Haltom v Richland game, the bands even did the wave together, starting from the tubas from Haltom and going down and then back up the Richland side. They did it several times. It was very entertaining! lol