2012 5A State Marching Contest

Amazingly, these four bands were not just from the same area but from the same district! Makes Friday night halftime pretty competitive!

This actually was repeated in Area F as well - Friendswood and Dawson are both in Region 17, were the only two state qualifiers from Area F, and both made finals last year at 4A state (4th and 8th respectively). So Area D and F advanced both of their bands to state finals....might have been one of the first times that 6 finalists came from only two regions.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually was repeated in Area F as well - Friendswood and Dawson are both in Region 17, were the only two state qualifiers from Area F, and both made finals last year at 4A state (4th and 8th respectively). So Area D and F advanced both of their bands to state finals....might have been one of the first times that 6 finalists came from only two regions.

Like I've been saying, my top five is this. For state.HebronMarcusWoodlandsBerknerBell

I hope I'm not the only one tired of seeing Marcus have performances with giant trees and Ferris wheels and what not. I just find it to be a distraction. They do it every year. Every year you can expect the same thing. A boring core with giant props. I'm not bashing Marcus. They're a great program, but they have the same shoulder to lean on every year, whether it be ten foot tall trees, or giant Ferris wheels.

Like I've been saying, my top five is this. For state.HebronMarcusWoodlandsBerknerBell

I hope I'm not the only one tired of seeing Marcus have performances with giant trees and Ferris wheels and what not. I just find it to be a distraction. They do it every year. Every year you can expect the same thing. A boring core with giant props. I'm not bashing Marcus. They're a great program, but they have the same shoulder to lean on every year, whether it be ten foot tall trees, or giant Ferris wheels.

The still play great music and march great drill, but I do agree the extravagant props got old, for me, about 2 years ago. I would LOVE to see them play great music, march great drill, and have an amazing guard without the props. They don't need them, their performance level alone is what puts them on top. I know it's part of their signature, but sometimes, in example last year, they did nothing at all for me.

The still play great music and march great drill, but I do agree the extravagant props got old, for me, about 2 years ago. I would LOVE to see them play great music, march great drill, and have an amazing guard without the props. They don't need them, their performance level alone is what puts them on top. I know it's part of their signature, but sometimes, in example last year, they did nothing at all for me.

While I say this, I respect the kids, admire their work, and am in NO way discrediting their work by any means, just expressing my personal opinion.

I agree with every word of your statement except for the "boring core." The crazy musical requirements, and ability to execute such requirements with no regard to convenient staging gives me chills. Not to mention their core sound. Their visuals are usually a bit standard for a group of their calibur, but they're also pretty immaculate. The props do get a little old, however. The ferris wheels especially got a little bit obnoxious. I feel like the gates this year are more interesting. They seem to flow with the drill, where as all the other props just kind of sat around until it was time to open, or light up, or release smoke or something.

I agree with every word of your statement except for the "boring core." The crazy musical requirements, and ability to execute such requirements with no regard to convenient staging gives me chills. Not to mention their core sound. Their visuals are usually a bit standard for a group of their calibur, but they're also pretty immaculate. The props do get a little old, however. The ferris wheels especially got a little bit obnoxious. I feel like the gates this year are more interesting. They seem to flow with the drill, where as all the other props just kind of sat around until it was time to open, or light up, or release smoke or something.

And I agree with everything you wrote. lol I have always liked Marcus, but did find the ferris wheels a bit silly. I love the gates this year, though. I like the way they use them on the field and the matching uniforms to the color of the gates is a neat addition. They're such a classy group of people, it's would be hard to feel any real "ill will" towards them or what they do(so well). :)

I believe in the 90's Coppell, Poteet, and Sherman were all in the same area and made finals

Yes, 1997 was Poteet 1st, Coppell 3rd, Sherman 6th.

I believe it also happened in 1999 for Area B 4A: Keller 2nd, Grapevine 3rd, Fossil Ridge 4th, Colleyville Heritage 6th. Did they advance 5 that year??

And 4A Area C again in 2009: Poteet 3rd, Waxahachie 8th, Forney 9th.

So the short answer is, yes, it happens a lot in 4A. Not so much in 5A, probably because the areas tend to advance more bands overall. B or C could do it this year, but I kind of doubt either area pulls it off.

Yes, 1997 was Poteet 1st, Coppell 3rd, Sherman 6th.

I believe it also happened in 1999 for Area B 4A: Keller 2nd, Grapevine 3rd, Fossil Ridge 4th, Colleyville Heritage 6th. Did they advance 5 that year??

And 4A Area C again in 2009: Poteet 3rd, Waxahachie 8th, Forney 9th.

So the short answer is, yes, it happens a lot in 4A. Not so much in 5A, probably because the areas tend to advance more bands overall. B or C could do it this year, but I kind of doubt either area pulls it off.

Was the colony 5A in '99?

Also 4A does tend to have this happen often, even more than 3A and I thought 3A would have the upper hand seeing as most of.the finalist for 3A tend to.come from area B... Now this has me curious, to the UIL archives!!!!!

Was the colony 5A in '99?

Also 4A does tend to have this happen often, even more than 3A and I thought 3A would have the upper hand seeing as most of.the finalist for 3A tend to.come from area B... Now this has me curious, to the UIL archives!!!!!

No, The Colony was still 5A until 2006. In the late '90s they were still constantly battling with LD Bell, Richland, and Haltom for basically two spots at 5A Area B.

It would be nice to see a new face in finals, i think it is possible that Rowlett could swap with Coppell for a state finals spot if they have a clean music and visual performace since they did beat Coppell in both prelims and finals i know that the likelyhood of this happening where Coppell doesnt make finals or Rowlett is in front of them is slim but it would be cool to see

It's certainly possible. It's worth noting that Rowlett also beat Coppell at area in 2006 and 2010. Coppell is a band that always manages to peak at State Marching Contest. It happened when they were 4A and it still happens now that they're 5A. They always wind up doing better at State than anyone thinks they will. I don't know what their strategy is, but somehow it tends to pay off.

Edited by Donezo

It's certainly possible. It's worth noting that Rowlett also beat Coppell at area in 2006 and 2010. Coppell is a band that always manages to peak at State Marching Contest. It happened when they were 4A and it still happens now that they're 5A. They always wind up doing better at State than anyone thinks they will. I don't know what their strategy is, but somehow it tends to pay off.

Am I really the only one in Texas that thinks berkner has a shot at top five? Come on now.

Am I really the only one in Texas that thinks berkner has a shot at top five? Come on now.

I'm sure you're not the only one, but you have to realize that this competition is as stacked as it gets. People are blindly going for the results they have seen in the past (Myself included). We look at bands like Marcus and Bowie and The Woodlands and think that there is a possibility these bands won't make top 5. Everyone is grabbing onto what makes them comfortable, and to be honest Berkner hasn't been up there long enough to be a sure bet for a gambling man. Don't act surprised that no one thinks that they will be in the top 5. Does the fact that no one predicts them in the top 5 mean they are actually not going to get top 5? NO. Anything can happen. Absolutely anything. But the best feeling in the world is when you're in an underdog band that no one expects to win and then you do. Greatest feeling in the world. Worst feeling, when everyone wants you to win and you don't get anywhere near. Now I haven't seen Berkner this year so I can't comment on how I actually feel about them, but I wish them the best of luck, I remember standing next to them a few years back in San Antonio and they were great people.

I haven't seen their show, so I can't give any significant commentary, but if what I have heard about their show holds true, I would be looking to them more on saturday than on tuesday. I've heard that they have fantastic sound, and really engaging design, but I haven't heard anybody calling them clean at the level that Marcus, Bowie, Woodlands, CTJ, or Hebron are likely to be this year. That said, it's certainly possible.

I will say that Berkner is another group that tends to peak at the right time and often surprises people. I don't think anyone saw their 3rd place finish in 2002 coming. They're in the mix. They have a great prelims time: right after lunch and in the same block as Richland, Johnson, and Coppell. If they give a strong performance that holds its own against those other finals caliber bands, then they'll be up there. Finals is always a different story, but just getting there will be half the battle at this contest.

EDIT: Just realized that Brazoswood is in the same block. I wonder if they're potential spoilers, even though this hasn't been their best year. They are the State Honor Band after all....

Edited by Donezo

Did some digging to see if any Honor Band winners have missed State Marching Contest Finals relatively recently. The answer is yes, but not by much.

2010: Hebron - 6th at SMBC

2008: Duncanville - 6th at SMBC

2006: Langham Creek - 6th at SMBC

2004: Duncanville - 3rd at SMBC

2002: Langham Creek - 9th at SMBC

2000: Westfield - 9th at SMBC

So the last two missed finals, but that was when only seven made it (can you even imagine that happening now?)

Does Brazoswood continue the string of top ten appearances at SMBC for Honor Band winners? Or is this the end?

Just realized that Brazoswood is in the same block. I wonder if they're potential spoilers, even though this hasn't been their best year. They are the State Honor Band after all....

They have snazzy new uniforms (as of last week) and they definitely sound nice, but I don't think they can stand up to the competition for the last couple finals spots. Not when the field is this deep.

Curious to when the predictions go.up what the percentages will be for Berkner and Rowlett to be in finals much less the upper half of finals. And with everyone tripping on Bell and Duncanville where people will have them.... Come on predictions

No one is giving Berkner a fair chance in my opinion. They placed first in Area C for a reason, it wasn't some sort of fluke.

No one is giving Berkner a fair chance in my opinion. They placed first in Area C for a reason, it wasn't some sort of fluke.

You'll find that plenty of people have them in the top 10. You can't put too much weight on area results. A lot can happen in a week and a half. Case in point:

2010 5A Area C:

1. Rowlett

2. Berkner

3. Duncanville

4. Coppell

2010 5A State Prelims:

3. Coppell

5. Duncanville

8. Berkner

14. Rowlett

I'll even point out that the last time Berkner won Area C (2004), they missed State Finals. You just never know. Like I said before, they're in the mix, but it's a deep field.

That was area... This is state were the top.programs are going to converge and fight for 10 spots... You.can throw.area out the.window because Rowlett has won area in the past and not made finals..... Just saying area champion doesn't guarantee a state finals slot