2012 Westlake Marching Festival

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a slightly smaller lineup than usual...Missing a few of the regulars (Bowie, Akins, Leander), but overall it looks like the usual suspects. Don't think there will be much competition for Round Rock at the top, but the middle might be a little bit of a mess. Especially interested to see what Lake Travis has for us after their breakout season last year. I don't expect them to let up at all. And O'Connor has really come on strong recently at this contest, and a weaker schedule will allow them to compete near the top. This should also be a good chance to have a few new finalists at this competition.

Very interesting that there is a lack of Austin area schools that regularly attend and the addition of the Judson ISD schools as well as some bands from the RGV.

I completely agree that first place is Round Rock's for the taking, no one else at this competition is quite at their level. I feel that Conally, Dripping Springs, Hendrickson, Lake Travis, O'Connor and Anderson all have a very high chance of making finals.

But this still leaves three spots left for finals. Potential bands are Vista Ridge, Wagner, Hays, Georgetown, New Braunfels, and Judson.

Should be an interesting competition, I'm sure looking forward to it!

I would have to disagree with people saying Round Rock is first for the taking, as Anderson has proved to be a VERY worthy rival in the past 2 years!

I am disappointed that Bowie won't be there, though. It's always fun to compete against them! Very fine group!

Very true. After watching that video of Anderson, I think it's very evident that they're only stepping up their game from previous years, which have been quite successful for them. But at the same time, I'm sure Round Rock is doing the same thing.

It might be possible for Anderson to take first, but I still think it's unlikely. At the very least, the gap between the two will more than likely be less than it has been in the past!

Very interesting that there is a lack of Austin area schools that regularly attend and the addition of the Judson ISD schools as well as some bands from the RGV.

I completely agree that first place is Round Rock's for the taking, no one else at this competition is quite at their level. I feel that Conally, Dripping Springs, Hendrickson, Lake Travis, O'Connor and Anderson all have a very high chance of making finals.

But this still leaves three spots left for finals. Potential bands are Vista Ridge, Wagner, Hays, Georgetown, New Braunfels, and Judson.

Should be an interesting competition, I'm sure looking forward to it!

My list of finalists and potential finalists is pretty much identical...we could see a few surprises here and there, but that list should hold pretty true. And I'm in no way saying Anderson can't knock off RR. If anyone has a chance, it is them. This will be a pretty big measuring stick for Lake Travis in seeing if they can keep up with the big boys in 5A (my bet is they can do it).

Found the schedule!

3A

11:15 Llano

4A

11:30 Lockhart

11:45 Hays

12:00 Georgetown

12:15 Connally

12:30 Dripping Springs

5A

1:45 Wagner

2:00 New Braunfels

2:15 Vista Ridge

2:30 John Marshall

2:45 Judson

3:00 Hendrickson

3:15 Economedes

3:45 Clark

4:00 Lake Travis

4:15 Weslaco

4:30 O'Connor

4:45 Edinburg North

5:00 Anderson

5:15 Round Rock

Very true. After watching that video of Anderson, I think it's very evident that they're only stepping up their game from previous years, which have been quite successful for them. But at the same time, I'm sure Round Rock is doing the same thing.

It might be possible for Anderson to take first, but I still think it's unlikely. At the very least, the gap between the two will more than likely be less than it has been in the past!

How many color guard is Anderson marching this year?

Can anybody tell me why the lack of schools this year? Bowie and Akins have been doing this forever. Also, Bowie and Anderson were missing from Cap City too. The austin school seem to be less involved this year.

Well Bowie is going to Grand Nationals, which is a huge travel expense. They probably wanted to have a weekend off from competition to cut costs and stress.

The same goes for Anderson who is going up to the St. Louis Super Regional this year.

Can anybody tell me why the lack of schools this year? Bowie and Akins have been doing this forever. Also, Bowie and Anderson were missing from Cap City too. The austin school seem to be less involved this year.

There's another new competition in the area called, Texas Marching Classic being held that same weekend that will be held at RRISD stadium. Some of the bands attending are Georgetown,Vandegrift,McNeil,Pflugerville,Akins,Westwood, Cedar Park, CTJ and others. Bowie is going to GN and won't be attending for that reason.

The schedule had been updated - Llano, Georgetown (to TxMarchClassic), and Weslaco dropped out and Harper (1A) and Lago Vista (2A) added in.

New schedule is:

1A

11:15 Harper

2A

11:30 Lago Vista

4A

11:45 Lockhart

12:00 Hays

12:15 Connally

12:30 Dripping Springs

5A

1:30 Wagner

1:45 Vista Ridge

2:15 Judson

2:30 John Marshall

3:00 Hendrickson

3:15 Economedes

3:30 Clark

3:45 Lake Travis

4:15 new Braunfels

4:30 O'Connor

4:45 Edinburg North

5:00 Anderson

5:15 Round Rock

Finals start at 7:00 with Westlake exhibition followed by 10 bands. Last band scheduled to perform at 10:00.

Trivia: Connally's band (220) is larger than all of the 5A bands competing (that excludes Westlake) except for O'Connor, Anderson, and Round Rock.

Edited by Noz

You sure Connally is 220? I find that pretty hard to believe...?

That's the number submitted by Connally to the festival. It's possible that they are counting something other than the band on the field, I suppose. Round Rock submitted 300, Anderson 270, Westlake 240. Looking at that again, that probably does include the support team. In any case, assuming all of the bands used the same criteria to set their number, Connally is still larger than the most of the 5A bands, and by a good amount. Several of the 5A bands submitted numbers of 160 or smaller.

Edited by Noz

I saw Anderson at the AISD Band Jamboree, a non-competition showcase of Austin bands, and Anderson was VERY improved. Haven't seen Round Rock. Ordinarily I would say Westlake is Round Rock's for the taking but Anderson changed my mind. If they're clean and have a really good show they could win.

Doubtful.....