Who Is Going To Go To State This Year?

Well if you're asking about which classes go to state this year it's 3A and 5A. However, if you're wanting to get some predictions, I could give you a good guess that in Area B 5A L.D. Bell and Marcus are more than likely locks (especially since Marcus is doing Bach, they have a great woodwind section). However, the last two spots are up for grabs. This next season Hebron will be looking to get back up there after a disappointing season this past season. Plano East and Haltom have had much success in taking the 4 slot in recent years. The dark horse of the group will more than likely be Mansfield. In my opinion, I think Flower Mound and Richland have the best chances at taking the last two spots. Both ensembles finished in the top 14 at BOA San Antonio and not to forget Flower Mound got 9th at their first shot at BOA. I think the order for the top 7 will be: L.D. Bell, Marcus, Flower Mound, Richland, Plano East, Mansfield, Haltom; with the chance that Plano East could knock off a school, or Flower Mound will fluctuate between 2nd and 4th.

Just guessing because there is a long time between now and region/area, but out of AREA C you have to say Duncanville, Rowlett, Berkner, Coppel should all advance, but their are some up and coming schools here such as Garland High, North Mesquite, Lakeview, and Sachse that if we get a Area finals this year should push for a spot....But like I said a long time, and a lot to go through just to get to that point.

In 3A, you have to have Will's Point, Canton, Kaufman, Argyle, North Lamar (If still 3A)

Edited by TxRaider13

• 1 month later...

Based on 2010's Area G results, the bands most likely to advance are Harlingen, Hanna, Lopez, Donna and O' Connor. Taft also has a strong chance of making it, as does Laredo Alexander. Marshall might be able to sneak into finals this year, having just finished outside of them in 2010. La Joya, Sharyland and PSJA North will most likely be fighting for a spot in finals again, as will Laredo United and McAllen. Some of the up and coming bands in the SA area are Warren, Brandeis and Clark. Can't wait to see how everything goes down in Laredo.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe there are actually 6 spots that advance to state from 5A area D. At least that is how many there were in 2010.

The number of bands that advance to State from an Area is determined by how many bands compete in the Area competition. The number changes from year to year.

The number of bands that advance to State from an Area is determined by how many bands compete in the Area competition. The number changes from year to year.

I think there will still most likely be 6 bands advancing. Area D is losing Leander and Georgetown, but gaining Lake Travis, Hendrickson and Cedar Ridge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are my preseason predictions-

Area A will more than like send 5. Keller will for sure be one.

Area B will send 4: Bell and Marcus are definites, Hebron, Haltom and I have a feeling Flower Mound will be in the toss for 3rd and 4th.

Area C will send their amazing sounding groups: Berkner, Duncanville, Coppell and Rowlett.

Area D will send 6, possibly 7. Bowie, Reagan, CTJohnson and Round Rock are locks and I say the bubble is Chruchill, Anderson, Westlake and Cedar Ridge <- Gotta put my school up there. :P

Area E will be Clements, Cy Fall, Cy Woods, and Langham Creek.

I am going to be out there with Area F: The Woodlands, Spring, Westfield, Brazoswood- yeah yeah. BUT I think Clear Lake, The Woodlands College Park and Klien Oak are doing great things!

Area G is a another area I do not follow, Harlingen will make it

• 1 month later...

Me!! I'm going to SMC.....Why?, because I live in San Antonio, and my boss said we have to even if we miss out as a program...

Not to sure with Area A other than Keller

Area B, I will always take Bell and Marcus, but after that I have no idea

Area C, isn't as easy as it seems because the amount of schools that even go to area here is different each time and one of the power 4 has been and could be left out again. With that I'll say 4 will advance and Dville, Coppell, Rowlett, and Berkner will all go again. I still hold out hope that Garland can spoil this one day, and that both Mesquite, and North Mesquite will one day attend state again at the same time like many years ago.

Area D, man I have no idea I like so many bands here I can't pick who would get left out

Area E, the only one I wil give my nod to is Langham Creek, and thats just based on history

Area F, I have always liked the Woodlands and Brazoswood along with Spring but couldn't tell you after that

Area G, I have no idea but if this is where Lopez is than Lopez and Harlingen

I feel like Area E will send Clements, Cy-Falls, Cy-Fair, and Langham (not in any particular order). Cy-Woods made it to state the last time around, but they've had a really rough time this year and they're not on their A game, so to speak. Cy-Fair is seeking a spot because last time, they lost by one point to Falls, and they're actually better than they were in 2010, in my opinion.

As far as Area A in 5A, I'd say El Paso Coronado and Keller are pretty much locks, after that, I'd say it's open game, some stronger than others, but after those I think it just depends on who is having a good year or a bad one.

Keller Timber Creek, and Central have a really good shot of making state.

Past Area B Bands who advanced to State:

2010: Haltom, Hebron, LD Bell, Marcus

2008: Haltom, Hebron, LD Bell, Marcus, Richland

2006: Haltom, Hebron, LD Bell, Marcus, Richland

See a trend? People talk a lot about LD Bell and Marcus being "locks," and they're right. Unless either of those two bands go out on the field and collapse in a heap, they're going to State. However, I wouldn't discount Hebron or Haltom or Richland, either. Seems they do pretty well making it to State as well. All three of those bands deserve some attention, too! I've been lucky enough to see all three of their shows. They are all fantastic. I sincerely hope that lots and lots of bands advance to Area so that five bands can be chosen to advance to State. It's such a difficult area. Good luck to ALL bands this year. I know each one of you will put your heart and soul out on the field. Can't wait to see those awesome shows!!

Also, if anyone knows where to look up the bands that have advanced to State from Area B from 2004 and previous, please let me know. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough to just see a list of all bands who have advanced to State and determine which ones are from Area B. I'd actually like to just go back to about 2000, for curiosity's sake. lol

From Area A, the only definite I see is Keller High School. Keller Central will be up there, I know they did very well at two competitions recently, but UIL events tend to get pretty interesting sometimes without GE taken into effect, I say they have a 75% chance. The next band I see is Timber Creek High school, based on the results of the Golden Triangle Classic beating beating bands like Sherman, The Colony, Sachse, Argyle, ect. After this, it'll be fun.

See a trend? People talk a lot about LD Bell and Marcus being "locks," and they're right. Unless either of those two bands go out on the field and collapse in a heap, they're going to State. However, I wouldn't discount Hebron or Haltom or Richland, either. Seems they do pretty well making it to State as well. All three of those bands deserve some attention, too! I've been lucky enough to see all three of their shows. They are all fantastic. I sincerely hope that lots and lots of bands advance to Area so that five bands can be chosen to advance to State. It's such a difficult area. Good luck to ALL bands this year. I know each one of you will put your heart and soul out on the field. Can't wait to see those awesome shows!!

Also, if anyone knows where to look up the bands that have advanced to State from Area B from 2004 and previous, please let me know. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough to just see a list of all bands who have advanced to State and determine which ones are from Area B. I'd actually like to just go back to about 2000, for curiosity's sake. lol

Back in 2004, Region 20 was in Area B.

Coppell, Duncanville, Haltom, and LD Bell advanced to State from Area B that year.

Back in 2004, Region 20 was in Area B.

Coppell, Duncanville, Haltom, and LD Bell advanced to State from Area B that year.

Thank you! I saw that and I thought that Duncanville was in Area B then, but I wasn't sure. I'm a little bleary-eyed, so when I started "googling" the information, I just wasn't finding what I wanted. :P Anyway, thanks again. I know Duncanville has done well in the past and so has Coppell. 2012 looks to be the best yet!

• 4 weeks later...

In 2002, Area B sent:

Duncanville

Bell

Fossil Ridge

Haltom

Alternate was Coppell

And just for kicks and grins, and because I have it in front of me:

2000:

LD Bell

The Colony (one of my all time favorite shows....look it up)

Haltom

Alternate: Marcus

That show from The Colony was truly incredible! I'm so glad I got to see that show in person - it makes me so happy that you brought it up! The visual depictions of the train in the drill were marched spectacularly and I loved the pictures of the train in the backfield that started out far apart but come together at the end. Brilliant!

To me, that show is the epitome of GE. Even if the execution wasn't perfect (and it rarely was - such a complex musical book) I still got goosebumps every time because it just worked.

And yeah, 5A Area B was killer that year, especially with only three spots for the taking. Haltom was also awesome that year, and I really wish I had a good video. I saw them several times throughout the season (the band I was associated with somehow wound up at all the same invitationals that year) and unfortunately their worst performance was in state prelims and they didn't get a do-over that night. Fossil Ridge was also probably the best they ever were, but unfortunately there just weren't enough spots.

Edited by Donezo