TMEA Honor Band 2012

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honor Band is one of those things that is really hard to predict accurately because nobody has had the chance to hear the performances submitted by all of the bands from all around the state. Any large scale predictions are mostly based on just past results and generally not reflective of significant knowledge of the actual performances submitted.

You can say "I've heard X and Y bands a few times this year and they are really good! I bet they do well in Honor Band this year", but you can't really directly compare them to all the other bands that you haven't heard.

That being said, I definitely wish that the Honor Band process was more accessible and visible to the public. I love to attend Honor Band listenings to expand my horizons of style/interpretation/pieces/etc and I encourage people to attend various Honor Band listenings at very least in order to hear concert bands other than your own which is an experience that is sadly lacking.

Honor Band is one of those things that is really hard to predict accurately because nobody has had the chance to hear the performances submitted by all of the bands from all around the state. Any large scale predictions are mostly based on just past results and generally not reflective of significant knowledge of the actual performances submitted.

You can say "I've heard X and Y bands a few times this year and they are really good! I bet they do well in Honor Band this year", but you can't really directly compare them to all the other bands that you haven't heard.

That being said, I definitely wish that the Honor Band process was more accessible and visible to the public. I love to attend Honor Band listenings to expand my horizons of style/interpretation/pieces/etc and I encourage people to attend various Honor Band listenings at very least in order to hear concert bands other than your own which is an experience that is sadly lacking.

Sanchez is correct. The lack of exposure the TMEA Honor Band process gets is a bit of a head-scratcher. I can't believe I'm saying this, but there is more to the High School Band experience than what happens on the football field.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel, how does one go about attending listenings? Can anyone go or do you have to have "connections"?

Daniel, how does one go about attending listenings? Can anyone go or do you have to have "connections"?

You just have to know when they are happening and where they are at. Just show up, have a seat, and be quiet.

There's generally plenty of room as they are typically held in band halls or libraries.

The State level listenings are held at the TBA convention in San Antonio.

• 2 weeks later...

I am calling Berkner to win 5A. I just heard their recordings and if any other school can beat them, then I would honestly be amazed.

Granted, they had a HUGE, HUGE advantage by being invited to the Midwest Clinic, which means that their top group has been playing together on the same music likely since last summer (while most groups start concert band on their UIL program after Marching season ends). Still, that doesn't take away from how astounding they sound. It's crazy.

Edited by mellopwn1

Go listen to The Woodlands on Tuesday if you can, they are amazing this year. Not just because I am a fan, they really sound great this year. I heard their low brass secition has a ton of sophamores (now juniors). Amazing what they did with thier music.

Is Berkner going to Midwest? I know Marcus and The Woodlands are. Nice to see so many Texas bands going!

Go listen to The Woodlands on Tuesday if you can, they are amazing this year. Not just because I am a fan, they really sound great this year. I heard their low brass secition has a ton of sophamores (now juniors). Amazing what they did with thier music.

Is Berkner going to Midwest? I know Marcus and The Woodlands are. Nice to see so many Texas bands going!

Berkner attended in December 2011, so no.

But there are TONS of Texas groups going:

http://www.midwestclinic.org/2012-Midwest-...Performers.html

Edited by mellopwn1

Do you know what time it begins??? Thanks....

Is Berkner doing the Hindemith piece they did at Midwest? The Symphony in E-flat? Ok. Yeah. Just looked it up on UIL forms. They are. They sounded sensational at Midwest on that piece. (I just love Hindemith, and this is a great transcription.) I'm sure the other pieces they're playing (Till Eulenspiegel and Children's March) aren't too shabby either. Weren't they in the top 3 last time anyway? I think it should be a pretty straight shot into the upper echelon for them.

I heard The Woodlands at UofH a month ago, or something like that. Their brass was just jaw-dropping, especially on Trittico, which is, I think, the easier of the two non-march pieces they're playing. (They are also playing Till Eulenspiegel, go figure.) Till sounded a little bit more, I dunno, tentative. I also abhor the band transcription of Till Eulenspiegel, so that might be part of it. Their horn section can't be outdone, though. Superb soloists. I was impressed enough to look up their All-State results after hearing them and wasn't surprised to see that their horns went 1-2 in the entire state. As for their Honor Band chances, I really can't say. They have stiff competition at every level. I'm extremely interested in the area results, when Coppell and Duncanville are thrown into the mix. Shockingly, Coppell didn't make it past area last time, and College Park placed first. I just hope that whoever makes it to state does so based on the performance and not on reputation.

Best of luck to all!

Is Berkner doing the Hindemith piece they did at Midwest? The Symphony in E-flat? Ok. Yeah. Just looked it up on UIL forms. They are. They sounded sensational at Midwest on that piece. (I just love Hindemith, and this is a great transcription.) I'm sure the other pieces they're playing (Till Eulenspiegel and Children's March) aren't too shabby either. Weren't they in the top 3 last time anyway? I think it should be a pretty straight shot into the upper echelon for them.

I heard The Woodlands at UofH a month ago, or something like that. Their brass was just jaw-dropping, especially on Trittico, which is, I think, the easier of the two non-march pieces they're playing. (They are also playing Till Eulenspiegel, go figure.) Till sounded a little bit more, I dunno, tentative. I also abhor the band transcription of Till Eulenspiegel, so that might be part of it. Their horn section can't be outdone, though. Superb soloists. I was impressed enough to look up their All-State results after hearing them and wasn't surprised to see that their horns went 1-2 in the entire state. As for their Honor Band chances, I really can't say. They have stiff competition at every level. I'm extremely interested in the area results, when Coppell and Duncanville are thrown into the mix. Shockingly, Coppell didn't make it past area last time, and College Park placed first. I just hope that whoever makes it to state does so based on the performance and not on reputation.

Best of luck to all!

Well said, "Rubisco"!!!!

Good Luck Tx Bands!

Ah, so it looks like Duncanville is firmly on top in their region. Then again, placements can certainly change between region and area. I've heard some but not all of Duncanville this year. I think they're quite strong, although they're not quite as strong as I've heard them in the past. (Mind you, in the past = state honor band.) I haven't heard a darn thing from Coppell. I'm a bit surprised they got a third place vote. Then again, honor band judging is subjective and can be (especially at the region level) quite political.

Here are the placement results for the TMEA Region 5 5A Honor Band listening:

1st - Haltom (ADVANCE TO AREA)

2nd - Richland (ADVANCE TO AREA)

3rd - Mansfield

4th - Martin

5th - Bell

6th - Legacy

7th - Trinity

If anybody has specific score breakdowns for any of the regions, please do post them.

Edited by Rubisco

I've been scouring Google and YouTube for concert performances. I'm really in awe of the few ones that I've found thus far. There are so many quality concert programs in Texas that it almost makes your head explode. I'm really proud of all the hard work these students have put into their programs. Honor band or not, you guys are totally AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWMJKiPizE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG6jBGe_0uU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqqEmIuQUiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqzd8M02Jq0

http://vimeo.com/42052682

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLacN6iE_7E

Just a warning: don't try to make HB predictions based on these videos. Obviously, the final honor band recordings for these groups sound a bit different! (At least probably!)

First of all, let me say that all of these videos are filmed on a parent's camcorder, which explains why they are by no means perfect (heck, even decent) recordings. Most camcorders have auto-leveling for volume, which means that it dynamically adjusts the recording to maintain a relatively consistent volume throughout (or at least something like that, I'm no audio expert). Usually this ends up with the camera picking up whatever is the loudest Or highest sound (that's why some of these recordings have moments of "flute annihilation" or overly dominant melody). Long story short, auto-leveling doesnt accurately represent the balance of an ensemble and often buries he embellishments or subtleties of the music. So just take each recording with a grain of salt; each group sounds much better on a professional recording or live.

Nevertheless:

I have made it quite clear that I'm a Berkner fanboy, but seriously...listen to that Hindemith. They sound STUPIDLY good on something so SO difficult. It's also incredibly refreshing that they had this transcription commissioned...a nice change of pace from the same-ole, same-ole repertoire that we hear every Honor Band cycle (*cough* *cough* Aegean Festival Overture, Varaints on a Medieval Tune, I'm looking at you).

Seems like Merlin Patterson's new transcription of Pictures is quite popular this year, and Duncanville does quite well with it. The piece is so demanding and, at times, so exposed! Something tells me that this isnttheirbest recording, but even if it is, D-Ville's tradition of concert band excellence (and often DOMINATION) shows through.

Undoubtedly, CTJ is a rising superstar on and off the marching field. They're what? 3, maybe 4 years old and they sound like that? Insane. They make Polvetsian Dances sound like child's play, which it most certainly is not. And outstanding soloists, too! Jared Lipman is doing a whole lot of right in this program, for sure... We might be seeing these guys at the state level of Honor Band this year.

Okay, okay, okay...WOW. The Woodlands threw down on Trittico. All around, the brass just sounds magnificent (especially Mvt. 3). I have heard COUNTLESS schools attempt to play Trittico and fall flat on their collective faces...thank you T-Dub for not letting me down. You guys achieved something very special. The march is...a march. I could care less (it's the genre, not the performance--I promise!). The Till Eulenspiegel is QUITE good. There are moments of pure brilliance where other sections lose a bit of their sheen. Still, definitely the best high school Till I've heard to date (and I have heard 5 or 6 versions, although Berkner is not one of them). It would truly be a shame if this fantastic group doesn't make it past Region tomorrow...it's never guaranteed when there is College Park, Westfield, Spring, and Dekaney to contend with.

Good 'ol Langham. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the selection and It doesn't showcase the talent of the group as well as it could, but the blood is most definitely still there. This is a top-notch ensemble, no doubt. :D

I feel like with Marching Band we tend to forget about the schools in the "boondocks" that aren't always in the spotlight. That's why Honor Band is awesome for schools like Lopez. They can strut their stuff (in this case playing Scheherazade, on of my all time favorites) and be on an equal playing field with the household names of the band world like Marcus and Berkner and such. Admirable performance! I just wish it wasn't an iPhone video! <_<

IN CONCLUSION:I get pretty fired up over the whole Honor Band process, of you can't already tell. And why shouldn't I? The depth of quality and breadth f literature present in Texas concert bands is unprecedented and honestly intimidating. No matter who comes out on top, we need to remember that.

P.S. excuse some minor typos or missing letters...I did this on an IPad and autocorrect is a fickle beast.

Edited by mellopwn1