Area Competitions!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know how many each area is taking to state?

That number is determined by how many bands in each Area make a 1 at Region (1 advancing band per 5 bands that do....minimum of 2 if the number is less than 10). Since not all Regions have had their Region contest yet, we don't know the totals for all Areas.

Probably 5....It could be 4, but I'm going to go with 5 just because of how many bands have dropped down to 4A lately.

Its official, Area F will only have 12 bands competing and only 2 to State. Good Luck everyone who is attending!

13 bands actually. 4 new bands (underlined) who weren't there in '09 replaced 4 bands who got to go last time that didn't make the cut this time (Lumberton, Crosby, Goose Creek Memorial and Angleton):

Texas City

Dawson

Friendswood

Clear Falls

Huntsville

Montgomery

Willis

Little Cypress Mauriceville

Nederland

Port Neches Groves

Vidor

Barber's Hill

Galena Park

This still means 2 spots. Friendswood and Dawson will both likely be in State Finals and gunning for Top 5....this sadly makes them pretty much shoe-ins and no one else will get to go

Barring something drastic, Area D will take 5 bands (which is more than usual, so you can't really complain about this).

Interesting that Dawson is mentioned as a likely state finalist from Area F...4 Area D 4A bands placed ahead of them at Westlake, and another right behind them. And those bands weren't Cedar Park or Vandegrift.

Sorry...just can't get over how stacked this area is...I'll shut up now. ;)

In 2009 all the bands from Area C made the finals, so it is very possible to do

It just so happens that Rockwall Heath, and Royce City made a 2 at Region Last night :o !!!!!! And West Mesquite, and Terrell will advance to Area. I never expected Heath to get a 2, but then again I wasn't there for the 4A bands so I don't know why they got it. This is truly shocking since West hasn't made area since the late 90's!!

Interesting that Dawson is mentioned as a likely state finalist from Area F...4 Area D 4A bands placed ahead of them at Westlake, and another right behind them. And those bands weren't Cedar Park or Vandegrift.

It'll vary from contest to contest, you never know. Some bands could have a good performance somewhere, but not somewhere else!

Barring something drastic, Area D will take 5 bands (which is more than usual, so you can't really complain about this).

Sorry...just can't get over how stacked this area is...I'll shut up now. ;)

some bands may have better or worse performances at different times, and also if you looked at Lonestar preview they placed 1st in prelims and second in finals....

Here we go... Area F Predictions:

1. Dawson

2. Friendswood

3. Clear Falls

4. Galena Park

5. Little Cypress Mauriceville

I think Dawson will take Area F but will later lose to a steadily improving Friendswood show at state.

all the results will come out at state! may the best win ^_^

Edited by DHStrombone

Here we go... Area F Predictions:

1. Dawson

2. Friendswood

3. Clear Falls

4. Galena Park

5. Little Cypress Mauriceville

I think Dawson will take Area F but will later lose to a steadily improving Friendswood show at state.

That's a bold statement considering Dawson show will also be improving. I'm very excited to see these bands stack up against each other at state. It's as competitive as 5A now :)

To emphasize the competitiveness of Area D even more...

Area D will (most likely) send 5 bands to state. The top 4 spots will be filled with Vandegrift, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, and Lake Travis (in no particular order). However, the 5th spot is still "up for grabs". Competing for that spot are:

-Hendrickson (5th at State 2005, 2007, and 2009),

-Connally (2nd at state in 2007),

-Vista Ridge (6th at state in 2007 and 22(?)nd at 5A state in 2008),

-McCallum (consistent area finalist),

-LBJ (12th at state in 2009),

-Hays (10th at state in 2009),

and who knows who else may have a really strong year this year.

Basically, 6 bands are competing for that 5th spot in Area D.

On another note, it's safe to make the assumption that any band making Area D finals has a VERY strong chance to make State finals (should they have the opportunity). It's crazy how much talent is in this Area, and I really hope the judges (including the Hebron head director and the Argyle head director) are really ready to make some hard/tough calls next Saturday.

To emphasize the competitiveness of Area D even more...

Area D will (most likely) send 5 bands to state. The top 4 spots will be filled with Vandegrift, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, and Lake Travis (in no particular order). However, the 5th spot is still "up for grabs". Competing for that spot are:

-Hendrickson (5th at State 2005, 2007, and 2009),

-Connally (2nd at state in 2007),

-Vista Ridge (6th at state in 2007 and 22(?)nd at 5A state in 2008),

-McCallum (consistent area finalist),

-LBJ (12th at state in 2009),

-Hays (10th at state in 2009),

and who knows who else may have a really strong year this year.

Basically, 6 bands are competing for that 5th spot in Area D.

On another note, it's safe to make the assumption that any band making Area D finals has a VERY strong chance to make State finals (should they have the opportunity). It's crazy how much talent is in this Area, and I really hope the judges (including the Hebron head director and the Argyle head director) are really ready to make some hard/tough calls next Saturday.

this is seriously going to be a crazy area.........i'm so anxious to see who advances and what the results end up as. it's a bloodbath over there.

Area B will once again be a blood bath.

8 bands in that area have all competed in state before:

Newman Smith

Southwest

Wakeland

Birdville

Centennial

The Colony

Sherman

Aledo

You have the consistent alternates:

Joshua

Timberview

The former top performing 5A bands that are now 4A:

Creekview

Summit

And the bands that are consistent top 15 placers:

Liberty

Frisco

McKinney

McKinney North

Heritage

The way scores have turned out so far, I think your top 4 are going to be:

Centennial

The Colony

Aledo

Newman Smith

I can also see Area B sending 5, POSSIBLY 6 to state (in 09, they only needed 2 more bands at area to send 5, and there are at least 3 new schools in Area B). If there's 5 bands, I'd throw the extra spot to Either Summit or Creekview. 6th would go to one of those two.

Either way, there are FANTASTIC bands in area B that unfortunately won't even make finals. =[

I'm in Area B at Centennial. It's going to be CRAZY next Saturday. I don't know about your top 4 though. I'm ecstatic that my band is included there, but I've heard good things about Birdville and Creekviews show is impressive this year...

Either way, we DO send 5 or 6, so we're going nuts over here in Frisco right now..

Probably 5....It could be 4, but I'm going to go with 5 just because of how many bands have dropped down to 4A lately.

13 bands actually. 4 new bands (underlined) who weren't there in '09 replaced 4 bands who got to go last time that didn't make the cut this time (Lumberton, Crosby, Goose Creek Memorial and Angleton):

Texas City

Dawson

Friendswood

Clear Falls

Huntsville

Montgomery

Willis

Little Cypress Mauriceville

Nederland

Port Neches Groves

Vidor

Barber's Hill

Galena Park

This still means 2 spots. Friendswood and Dawson will both likely be in State Finals and gunning for Top 5....this sadly makes them pretty much shoe-ins and no one else will get to go

Also to correct you both that doesn't neccessarily mean only 2 will go this year from Area F.

In 2009 went to state and was only 13 at Are that year also.(Friendswood, Dawson and Galena Park).

The UIL rule is:

AAAA/AAAAA Certification. In Conferences AAAA/AAAAA the music area shall certify the two bands receiving the highest ranking in each conference to the State Marching Band Contest.

Should fifteen or more bands participate in a single conference at the area contest, one band for each five bands competing in the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

In addition, in all area contests any band that receives a ranking of three or higher from two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to state.