BOA Houston (Conroe Tx)

My opinions:

Marcus plays extremely well. This helps them not only in music, but in GE.

CTJ, SFA, TWHS, LDBell all had more difficult and engaging visual packages. Would have easily given this caption to Bell. but they were just not as clean.

Clean is counting more and more these days as more bands are achieving at a very high level. It is impossible to get into finals with show design only and that didn't really used to be the case.

Not really. Bell beat Marcus by 2.8 points and swept all caption in prelims and finals at the Arlington Regional in 2010, which was the same weekend as the houston regional this weekend. Then Marcus beat LD Bell at BOA San Antonio that same year.

So Im not sure I would call it huge.

It is definitely huge, just not insurmountable with work through the season. But it is of the level of difference that individual variations in performance on that day are unlikely (without completely falling apart) to cause a difference in placement.

And we got prelims scores today: http://www.musicforall.org/images/stories/...XCO.Prelims.pdf

Few things I noticed after scanning it a bit:

- Pflugerville tied Brazoswood for the tenth place spot going into finals (placed 11th due to General Effect and apparently should've made finals due to a BOA rule that states that if two bands tie for the final spot into finals, they both advance)

- Vandegrift placed 12th--just .15 of a point behind Pflugerville/Brazoswood

- Marcus beat out Bell by 1.05

Edited by Mellophone77

And we got prelims scores today: http://www.musicforall.org/images/stories/...XCO.Prelims.pdf

Few things I noticed after scanning it a bit:

- Pflugerville tied Brazoswood for the tenth place spot going into finals (placed 11th due to General Effect and apparently should've made finals due to a BOA rule that states that if two bands tie for the final spot into finals, they both advance)

- Vandegrift placed 12th just .15 of a point behind Pflugerville/Brazoswood

- Marcus beat out Bell by 1.05

You are absolutely, right; Pflugerville should have advanced to Finals to make 11 bands in Finals!

If two or more bands have a tie in their final score, the high placement will be awarded to the band

with the higher raw score (subtotal before penalties). If after using this criterion a tie still exists, the

highest General Effect total will be used to determine placement. This procedure will only be applied

in class champion and finals competitions. When bands achieve the same (tie) score in prelims, and

when such score causes a placement tie for the last position advancing to the finals competition, each

band with a tie score will advance.

Prelims scores:

1) 85.45 Marcus

2) 84.40 L.D. Bell

3) 82.15 Stephen F. Austin

4) 81.85 The Woodlands

5) 80.25 Cedar Park

6) 79.40 Claudia Taylor Johnson

7) 79.30 Winston Churchill

8) 79.05 Ronald Reagan

9) 78.50 Lafayette

10) 74.75 Brazoswood

11) 74.75 Pflugerville (tie broken by GE)

12) 74.60 Vandegrift

13) 74.50 The Woodlands College Park

14) 74.20 Friendswood

15) 74.15 Cypress Falls

16) 72.90 Oak Ridge

17) 71.70 Judson

18) 69.75 McNeil

19) 69.70 Cedar Ridge

20) 69.25 Alvin

21) 68.80 Clear Brook

22) 68.25 Westwood

23) 67.10 Clear Lake

24) 67.05 William B. Travis

25) 66.20 Calallen

26) 64.20 John Marshall

27) 64.00 Kaufman

Full score sheet for prelims:

http://www.musicforall.org/images/stories/...XCO.Prelims.pdf

For finals:

http://www.musicforall.org/images/stories/...TXCO.Finals.pdf

And Pflugerville should have marched in the finals as well. See here for the explanation:

http://www.musicforall.org/resources/fall-.../2011/conroe-tx

And Pflugerville should have marched in the finals as well. See here for the explanation:

http://www.musicforall.org/resources/fall-.../2011/conroe-tx

Wow...Huge mistake there on the part of the guys running this competition. I'm curious as to how this could have possibly been missed? Gotta read the fine print. Disappointing for the kids at P-ville.

You are absolutely, right; Pflugerville should have advanced to Finals to make 11 bands in Finals!

I'm curious as to how this was overlooked. I know a few people who work over at BOA and I am certain that it was nothing more than an honest mistake. Even so, that has to sting a little bit if you're Pflugerville.

It really is unfortunate for Pflugerville, especially after their 15th place (also 1 out from Finals) Prelims performance last year at San Antonio. I can imagine that with such a loaded lineup and hectic schedule, it was an accidental oversight on BOA's part, but I still feel like Pflugerville should get some sort of formal apology. I hope Eric Martin or someone else from BOA takes care of that; P-ville deserve it.

Even so, that has to sting a little bit if you're Pflugerville.

Yes it did. Just found out a little while ago. Anybody who follows this or has done this knows the amount of prep that goes in to these shows. All the bands I saw did an amazing job and Im glad Im not one of the judges! I know the kids and directors wanted so badly to perform in the finals. It is an honor to perform with such great Tx High School programs. We will be there for the next one. Thanks for all your support. The band really appreciates it.

Edited by Pvillepitcrew

Yes it did. Just found out a little while ago. Anybody who follows this or has done this knows the amount of prep that goes in to these shows. All the bands I saw did an amazing job and Im glad Im not one of the judges! I know the kids and directors wanted so badly to perform in the finals. It is an honor to perform with such great Tx High School programs. We will be there for the next one. Thanks for all your support. The band really appreciates it.

What a classy response! You have a great outlook on the situation, best of luck to you this season!