Pre-Arlington Observations

Just wanted to discuss what people have seen/heard prior to BOA Arlington.

I just recently saw Hebron and...wow. Quite a difference from the past few years. I was personally pretty underwhelmed to say the least and certainly hope this powerhouse can pull it together before they make the trip to Grand Nats in Indy.

The entire visual package was not at all up to Hebron standard (in my opinion). The drill was extremely cluttered, the music was not what I expected from a 5A Honor Band, and the guard was nowhere near as strong as they have been recently. Unfortunately I think design is really going to hurt them.

Just wanted to discuss what people have seen/heard prior to BOA Arlington.

I just recently saw Hebron and...wow. Quite a difference from the past few years. I was personally pretty underwhelmed to say the least and certainly hope this powerhouse can pull it together before they make the trip to Grand Nats in Indy.

The entire visual package was not at all up to Hebron standard (in my opinion). The drill was extremely cluttered, the music was not what I expected from a 5A Honor Band, and the guard was nowhere near as strong as they have been recently. Unfortunately I think design is really going to hurt them.

Hebron is no longer going to Nationals.

I haven't seen Hebron yet, but in general, it is really hard to put on a top tier marching show the year after winning Honor Band. The Honor Band concert takes up a lot of preparation time that some groups would otherwise use to focus on the marching show.

No reigning 5A TMEA Honor Band has immediately turned around to win 5A UIL State since Westfield in 1988.

I've been looking forward to Arlington, but its sounding like it's going to have a completely different feel this year. I've grown to enjoy the North Dallas rivalry between Marcus, Bell, Hebron, and Coppell but my understanding is that neither Marcus or Coppell are going to be at Arlington and we were told by our Hebron friends this past week that the Hebron show is in bad shape with only half the drill put in for Arlington.

Let's look at the bright side. Maybe this is a chance for some new bands to get in the mix.

...and we were told by our Hebron friends this past week that the Hebron show is in bad shape with only half the drill put in for Arlington.

Let's look at the bright side. Maybe this is a chance for some new bands to get in the mix.

Does anyone know who wrote Hebron's drill this year? (The past few years it has been Michael Gaines, but they hired Mike Sloan to teach their guard...is he writing the drill? It looks significantly 'different' this year.)

What do you guys think about Legacy's chances this year? They're traveling to San Antonio for Super Regionals this year.

Legacy has improved each year I've seen them and I was especially impressed with their guard last year. I always think they are going to place higher than they actually do and I believe it is because their drill tends to be a little more simplistic than the big boys. It appears to me the door might be more open than normal this year and maybe this is their chance to move into the top tier.

I refuse to believe any of this hoo-ha about how Hebron has gone down the crapper this year until I see them on Saturday. I think we'll all discover that they're doing just fine...or at least I hope so.

Like you said, Hebron certainly hasn't gone down the drain. But Arlington (and the early season in general) isn't going to show our true colors though. Our show this year is quite different than in past years, being that it was originally designed for grand nats, and is a MUCH more general effect involved show than previous years. This year is a huge risk for us as we take a first step into a BOA style show, with much more to learn than just music drill and the occasional visual added in. And all risks have a negative side, but if we stick to our guns while our show is a work in progress, it will pay off for us late in the season and in future years, especially if we do become much more BOA involved.

Like you said, Hebron certainly hasn't gone down the drain. But Arlington (and the early season in general) isn't going to show our true colors though. Our show this year is quite different than in past years, being that it was originally designed for grand nats, and is a MUCH more general effect involved show than previous years. This year is a huge risk for us as we take a first step into a BOA style show, with much more to learn than just music drill and the occasional visual added in. And all risks have a negative side, but if we stick to our guns while our show is a work in progress, it will pay off for us late in the season and in future years, especially if we do become much more BOA involved.

o_O

Wait....so you're saying this year Hebron is transitioning to BOA style?

Ok, NOW I'm interested.....I've always considered Hebron to be one of the posterchilds for BOA-esque design. When I think Hebron I think DDR-style dance moves, Props with eyes that move, crank that Solja' Boy and eerie dark show elements.

o_O

Wait....so you're saying this year Hebron is transitioning to BOA style?

Ok, NOW I'm interested.....I've always considered Hebron to be one of the posterchilds for BOA-esque design. When I think Hebron I think DDR-style dance moves, Props with eyes that move, crank that Solja' Boy and eerie dark show elements.

Um yeah...no disrespect ~ME~, but I've been going to BOA Regionals and Grand Nats for many years and I would say what I just recently saw from Hebron was actually alot less of a 'BOA style' than in the years past. And if we're talking Visual and Effect, the show this year (in my opinion) is really lacking in that department. (L.D. Bell, Avon, Marcus, Broken Arrow, etc); those bands are typically textbook studies in effect, and if we compare, I think Hebron would have had 'deficiencies' if they made the trip to Indy (even with some of those groups I mentioned not going).

PS: Why AREN'T they going now? They are still on the list on bands.org of bands attending Nats.

I sincerely hope for Hebron's sake they can pull another great one out...because I have been a fan the past few years!

PS: Why AREN'T they going now? They are still on the list on bands.org of bands attending Nats.

I sincerely hope for Hebron's sake they can pull another great one out...because I have been a fan the past few years!

They're not on the list of bands in the last BOA newsletter.

Adair County H.S., KY

Archbishop Alter H.S., OH

Arsenal Technical H.S., IN

Avon H.S., IN

Avon H.S., OH

Beechwood H.S., KY

Bellbrook H.S., OH

Ben Davis H.S., IN

Bishop Fenwick H.S., OH

Blue Springs H.S., MO

Bourbon County H.S., KY

Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Butler Traditional H.S., KY

Carlisle H.S., OH

Carmel H.S., IN

Carroll H.S., OH

Cary Senior H.S., NC

Center Grove H.S., IN

Centerville H.S., OH

Central Hardin H.S., KY

Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

Columbus North H.S., IN

Corner, AL

Crestwood H.S., OH

Danville H.S., IN

Daviess County H.S., KY

Dublin Coffman H.S., OH

East Central, IN

East Clinton H.S., OH

Eastern H.S., KY

Edgewood, OH

Firestone H.S., OH

Franklin H.S., TN

Grandville H.S., MI

Grant H.S., MI

Green Hope H.S., NC

Greendale H.S., WI

Herscher H.S., IL

Indian Hill H.S., OH

Jenison H.S., MI

Kings, OH

La Salle H.S., OH

Lafayette H.S., LA

Lake Central H.S., IN

Lake Orion H.S., MI

Lake Park H.S., IL

Lakeland H.S., MI

Lawrence Central H.S., IN

Lebanon H.S., OH

Lewisburg H.S., MS

Limestone Community H.S., IL

Lincoln-Way East H.S., IL

Logan Elm, OH

Marian Catholic H.S., IL

Meade County H.S., KY

Miamisburg H.S., OH

Milford H.S., OH

Monrovia H.S., IN

Morton H.S., IL

Mount Gilead H.S., OH

Murphysboro H.S., IL

Newaygo, MI

North Laurel H.S., KY

Northmont H.S., OH

Norton H.S., OH

Norwell H.S., IN

Norwin H.S., PA

O'Fallon Township H.S., IL

Owasso, OK

Pflugerville H.S., TX

Pulaski County H.S., KY

Ravenwood H.S., TN

Reeths-Puffer H.S., MI

Rockford H.S., MI

Saint James School, AL

Shortridge Magnet HS, IN

Simon Kenton H.S., KY

Spring H.S., TX

Stebbins H.S., OH

Sycamore H.S., OH

Talawanda H.S., OH

Troy Athens H.S., MI

The Woodlands H.S., TX

Union, OK

Victor J. Andrew H.S., IL

Walled Lake Central H.S., MI

Wando H.S., SC

Warren Local H.S., OH

Waukesha North H.S., WI

West Johnston H.S., NC

West Bloomfield H.S., MI

Western Brown H.S., OH

Western H.S., IN

William Mason H.S., OH

Now that I've made my one post a year, I'll go back to trolling. :)

They're not on the list of bands in the last BOA newsletter.

Adair County H.S., KY

Archbishop Alter H.S., OH

Arsenal Technical H.S., IN

Avon H.S., IN

Avon H.S., OH

Beechwood H.S., KY

Bellbrook H.S., OH

Ben Davis H.S., IN

Bishop Fenwick H.S., OH

Blue Springs H.S., MO

Bourbon County H.S., KY

Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Butler Traditional H.S., KY

Carlisle H.S., OH

Carmel H.S., IN

Carroll H.S., OH

Cary Senior H.S., NC

Center Grove H.S., IN

Centerville H.S., OH

Central Hardin H.S., KY

Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

Columbus North H.S., IN

Corner, AL

Crestwood H.S., OH

Danville H.S., IN

Daviess County H.S., KY

Dublin Coffman H.S., OH

East Central, IN

East Clinton H.S., OH

Eastern H.S., KY

Edgewood, OH

Firestone H.S., OH

Franklin H.S., TN

Grandville H.S., MI

Grant H.S., MI

Green Hope H.S., NC

Greendale H.S., WI

Herscher H.S., IL

Indian Hill H.S., OH

Jenison H.S., MI

Kings, OH

La Salle H.S., OH

Lafayette H.S., LA

Lake Central H.S., IN

Lake Orion H.S., MI

Lake Park H.S., IL

Lakeland H.S., MI

Lawrence Central H.S., IN

Lebanon H.S., OH

Lewisburg H.S., MS

Limestone Community H.S., IL

Lincoln-Way East H.S., IL

Logan Elm, OH

Marian Catholic H.S., IL

Meade County H.S., KY

Miamisburg H.S., OH

Milford H.S., OH

Monrovia H.S., IN

Morton H.S., IL

Mount Gilead H.S., OH

Murphysboro H.S., IL

Newaygo, MI

North Laurel H.S., KY

Northmont H.S., OH

Norton H.S., OH

Norwell H.S., IN

Norwin H.S., PA

O'Fallon Township H.S., IL

Owasso, OK

Pflugerville H.S., TX

Pulaski County H.S., KY

Ravenwood H.S., TN

Reeths-Puffer H.S., MI

Rockford H.S., MI

Saint James School, AL

Shortridge Magnet HS, IN

Simon Kenton H.S., KY

Spring H.S., TX

Stebbins H.S., OH

Sycamore H.S., OH

Talawanda H.S., OH

Troy Athens H.S., MI

The Woodlands H.S., TX

Union, OK

Victor J. Andrew H.S., IL

Walled Lake Central H.S., MI

Wando H.S., SC

Warren Local H.S., OH

Waukesha North H.S., WI

West Johnston H.S., NC

West Bloomfield H.S., MI

Western Brown H.S., OH

Western H.S., IN

William Mason H.S., OH

Now that I've made my one post a year, I'll go back to trolling. :)

Will anyone be live blogging from Arlington this weekend?????

Edited by Alvin

Will anyone be live blogging from Arlington this weekend?????

Yes, there will be multiple staff at the event. We will have a live blog of Prelims and Results from both Prelims and Finals. We are also looking to have pictures uploaded a little after the event.

Edit: The live blog for BOA Arlington is ready to go for Saturday and can be found at http://live.txbands.com