I think that Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, and Vandegrift are locks. But 4th is up to grabs.

Lake Travis is having a fantastic season and they have a lot of momentum going into saturday

Hays and Hendrickson have state finals experience, and LBJohnson has state experience.

All of the above mentioned, "Finalists," have the potential to make it to state!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm sure a lot of you guys know what you are talking about.... if you haven't seen ANY of these shows, especially the ones that may not be as well known, then you shouldn't be making predictions based upon the results of past years or whether or not a band has "state experience" or "momentum from past years". Just because X band got Y place in Z year, this is 2011 and several "unknown" bands have REALLY stepped it up this year!

I was trying to say this earlier.

In My opinion i think your right and wow cedar park performs first from the website tat was linked from the uil region 26 website

I don't think it matters whether or not Cedar Park goes first. They will undoubtedly make finals.

Edited by drummerjoe

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this on txbands but Cedar Park's entire book is from Carolina Crown's 2010 show. That's impressive!

That's pretty sick. Cedar Park is a really great band, and playing some sick notes like that is incredibly impressive.

Oh wait, I'm from Round Rock, I'm supposed to trash talk CP. Uhh, they suck and stuff.

Edited by drummerjoe

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this on txbands but Cedar Park's entire book is from Carolina Crown's 2010 show. That's impressive!

Well...it's not straight from the book. But it's pretty darn close. And CP is at it's best when it's playing corps style shows. I think Vandegrift was the beneficiary of a not yet polished last movement from CP at the Vista Ridge contest. I still think CP has to be the favorite going into this contest and state for that matter.

I have seen almost all of the shows which will be competing tomorrow in Area D with the exception of a very few in Regions 8 & 12. Whatever the outcome for all competitors, I wish everyone the very best of luck - even if I am a HUGE Lake Travis fan!!!

Although I'm sure a lot of you guys know what you are talking about.... if you haven't seen ANY of these shows, especially the ones that may not be as well known, then you shouldn't be making predictions based upon the results of past years or whether or not a band has "state experience" or "momentum from past years". Just because X band got Y place in Z year, this is 2011 and several "unknown" bands have REALLY stepped it up this year!

Back on track...

We can all guess the finalists, but I really hope that the judges are ready for that third block in pre-lims with Connally, followed by Vista Ridge, followed by Hendrickson, with Vandegrift later on... that's a tough block!

Finals isn't anyone's game, but it will come down to how well everyone performs. An off/bad run from even one band could drastically shift the results.

I'm telling my kids that even though we may not make it, MAKE SURE that we make judges regret not being able to send us. If we can accomplish that, then I think we've done our job.

Yes I have it is but they just need to worry about time

I worried about that too, and then heard the lengths they go to, to ensure that it finishes the same length every time they perform the show. There should be between 7 and 9 seconds left every single time. There were 8 left last week. It scares me to watch it run down, but they know what they're doing.

As far as I can tell, yes it was.

I'm not sure. Doing the math from the total score, it looks like it is definitely lower than the other two music judges, but not necessarily extremely lower. But I can't really tell from what I can see. It looks like (extremely blurry) multiple judges may have had them out of ranks that would be advancing after Finals.

I've got a feeling there is going to be some discussion here about the differences in judging between prelims and finals. It is almost like a complete flip-flop from on to the other. Since I didn't see the performances I can't really comment, but UIL judging has always been problematic for me (Xenon and I had a long discussion about this several years ago). Still, congrats to those that qualified, and I hope they do a great job of representing Area D at state.