Area D Marching Contest

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is 11 bands who i think the 10 finalists could be from what i have seen: (I couldn't choose just 10)

Reagan H.S.

Churchill H.S.

Bowie H.S. .

Round Rock H.S.

Akins H.S.

McNeil H.S

Anderson H.S

Westlake H.S

Leander H.S.

C.T. Johnson H.S

Pflugerville H.S.

And with 6 going to state i would have to divide them into these categories:

Bands who in my opinion will definitely goto state:

Reagan

Churchill

Bowie

Bands who are competing for the other 3 spots:

Round Rock

Akins

McNeil

Westlake

Anderson

Bands who will make finals but not state: (And I think depending on prelim performance other bands could beat out for finals)

Leander

C.T. Johnson

Pflugerville

but of course all of this is just opinion.

Edited by MaverickBand15

my predictions for finals in no particular order:

Bowie

Round Rock

Church Hill

Reagan

Akins

McNeil

Anderson

C.T. Johnson

Westlake

Pflugerville

State qualifiers:

Bowie

Round Rock

Church Hill

Reagan

Last 2 spots: Cant decide which 2 will advance

Akins

McNiel

Anderson

Westlake

Finals (rough) placement order:

1.Bowie

2.Round Rock

3.Anderson

4.Westlake

5.Churchill

6.Akins

7.Reagan

8.CT Johnson

9.Leander

10.Mcneil

I think the most unstable part of this list is places 5-8. I don't know how much better, if at all, Reagan has gotten since '08, and I've noticed Churchill has been in a decline since then, and judging solely by Westlake, I'd say Akins has probably had better years, and I just saw a video of CT Johnson and they're pretty good.

I'm not sold on Akins or Westlake. Akins was fine technically at Westlake Marching Festival but their show didn't have any wow moments for me. I was pretty disinterested after I saw them.

Westlake had a competent show but they were still a lot of drill problems that dragged the show down imo.

Edited by bchorn

I don't think Pflugerville, C.T Johnson, Anderson, or Leander are as good as Westlake, Akins, and McNeil.

If i had to pick the 6 qualifiers it would be

Reagan

Bowie

Churchill

Round Rock

Akins

McNeil

When it comes to Pflugerville i saw their show. They are definitely good, but i heard at BOA they stood still for a large portion of their show (correct me if i am wrong cause i only heard that from an individual so i could be wrong) and when i saw they just seemed to have a good sound, but they were not as strong when it came to details. That is why I personally would not see them going onto state. In terms of Anderson I saw both Westlake's and Anderson's show, and i don't think either were as good as McNeil or Akins. I do think either one could make it but in my opinion it will be Westlake. C.T Johnson is having a great season, but if BOA Houston is any indication as to where they stand amongst these bands they are breathing down McNeil's neck, but i don't feel like their performances in prelims and finals were consistent at all. So we will just have to see how they do, but I think McNeil will beat them out along with Westlake. Leander has not been as good as in the past. They lost to both McNeil and C.T at BOA houston, and i think their is a chance they wont make finals.

And as all of that is opinion...bands like McNeil, Westlake, Anderson, CT Johnson, or Pflugeville could just have an amazing performance or have a terrible performance and change everything. It will be a good day filled with great bands!!!! :)

Edited by MaverickBand15

They are definitely good, but i heard at BOA they stood still for a large portion of their show (correct me if i am wrong cause i only heard that from an individual so i could be wrong)

As I recall, they did not stand still for their show. They were amazing and although I'm not as familiar with Area D bands, I find it hard to believe so few people have them advancing to state.

As I recall, they did not stand still for their show. They were amazing and although I'm not as familiar with Area D bands, I find it hard to believe so few people have them advancing to state.

I want to place them for state, but the jack wagon that made the prediction screwed it up

Edited by TxRaider13

Finals (rough) placement order:

1.Bowie

2.Round Rock

3.Anderson

4.Westlake

5.Churchill

6.Akins

7.Reagan

8.CT Johnson

9.Leander

10.Mcneil

I think the most unstable part of this list is places 5-8. I don't know how much better, if at all, Reagan has gotten since '08, and I've noticed Churchill has been in a decline since then, and judging solely by Westlake, I'd say Akins has probably had better years, and I just saw a video of CT Johnson and they're pretty good.

Can't say that I like them, but Reagan seems to back on their way up.

The playing field is getting wayyyy too crowded with "good" bands. I like being able to predict finals. I know someone is going to say something like "it is exciting and variety is good" but I feel bad for all the bands who are so used to making finals and might not anymore. Must suck.

Can't say that I like them, but Reagan seems to back on their way up.

The playing field is getting wayyyy too crowded with "good" bands. I like being able to predict finals. I know someone is going to say something like "it is exciting and variety is good" but I feel bad for all the bands who are so used to making finals and might not anymore. Must suck.

It would've been real crazy if Vista Ridge and Cedar Park stayed 5A

Edited by mrwood69

What are the chances of Cedar Park moving back up to 5A in a couple of years...?

I honestly don't see them back in 5A for another 3-5 years at least. I mean, I'm not studying the growth rate or anything of Cedar Park (the city/town/whatever) but with 5 high schools in LISD, and only 1 being 5A, it'll be a little while until they get big enough, especially since Vandegrift has a good chunk of the school's old students and students who would've gone there. In the mean time they will probably win, if not, medal at the 4A state contest once or twice. It's not like it matters too much outside of UIL since they'll be going to BOA and Westlake, etc.

Edited by mrwood69

Oh, and I'd say round rock has a pretty fair chance of going to state. They DID beat Bowie at the Westlake marching festival, and their show is spectacular.

I predict...

Bowie

Round Rock

Anderson

Pflugerville

Churchill

Reagan

^ No particular order.

I wouldn't call Round Rock's show spectacular. Don't get me wrong they are very excellent players and marchers, but at Westlake their music was a little, for lack of a better term "dirty". In no way was their musical performance poor. The reason Round Rock beat Bowie was because of the other captions besides Music and Marching(which Bowie was first in. Round Rock being 2nd). Being 2nd in both music and marching is not a bad spot to be in. With a strong showing in the other captions(especially Percussion. Like seriously... WOW.) Round Rock was able to post a slightly higher total score than Bowie eventhough Bowie was first in music and marching. Bowie was not able to keep pace with Round Rock in the other captions thus Round Rock won.

This leads me to believe Round Rock will not do as well as some people think they will at Area. They WILL go to state, but I don't think they will have one of the top spots.

(Disclaimer: Not to be taken as bashing. Round Rock is a quality and classy program.)

Edited by Rocktapus512

I have seen most of these bands live this year and see it going like this:

Final:

Bowie

Johnson

Pfluegerville

Churchill

Westlake

Akins

Anderson

Round Rock

McNeil

Westwood

It would be great to see Westwood in finals this year, I do have Round Rock placed over Bowie however. My listing is as follows.

Round Rock

Bowie

Westlake

McNiel

Leander

Pflugerville

Anderson

Churchill

Westwood

And possibly Reagan

Im really unsure about how all this will go down, but I am definate about Round Rock, Bowie and Westlake Making Finals.

It would be great to see Westwood in finals this year, I do have Round Rock placed over Bowie however. My listing is as follows.

Round Rock

Bowie

Westlake

McNiel

Leander

Pflugerville

Anderson

Churchill

Westwood

And possibly Reagan

Im really unsure about how all this will go down, but I am definate about Round Rock, Bowie and Westlake Making Finals.

I love how people cannot spell MCNEIL!!!! not Macneil not McNeal nor McNiel lols