Area D Marching Contest

Each of the judges gave each band individual point scores, and these scores were then ranked among all the other bands judged by each specific judge. Then the ranks from all 5 judges were added together, and that was the UIL score. In this way, Pflugerville and Westwood tied, but by adding up the individual scores that the judges, Pflugerville scored higher.

That doesn't matter because that's not how UIL works.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened with Georgetown? I remember them doing really well when I saw them in 2007 at Westlake, but I haven't heard much about them lately.

They've been on a downward slope the past couple years. I have my own theories about why that is that I won't share here except that it involves some staff changes that aren't the HS staff.

Why are people factoring GE for these shows, I won't argue with any placings unless I feel the need to, but GE isn't the point of UIL Judging. BOA style style judging factors in GE. I think if GE wern't factored in bands that are BOA competative wouldn't always neccesarily be UIL competative. For example, If a band successfully crawls on the ground for a 2 minute visual, why are they awarded marching points? Were they possibly just judged on the other 5-6 minutes they marched, if they were marching? And does anyone know how much Electronics are taken into consideration for Music? I noticed alot of bands are starting to use synths to get a bigger sound without having to have brass blasts and woodwinds break reeds.

• 2 months later...
Was this Johnson's first try at state? (not sure if they competed at Area in '08) Very impressive! As for Churchill, that's a bummer. Hopefully things look up for them the rest of this season. Its also nice to see Reagan doing well again :)

Yeah, it was Johnson's first time at state:) the school opened in 08 and we weren't good back then:P

Why are people factoring GE for these shows, I won't argue with any placings unless I feel the need to, but GE isn't the point of UIL Judging. BOA style style judging factors in GE. I think if GE wern't factored in bands that are BOA competative wouldn't always neccesarily be UIL competative. For example, If a band successfully crawls on the ground for a 2 minute visual, why are they awarded marching points? Were they possibly just judged on the other 5-6 minutes they marched, if they were marching? And does anyone know how much Electronics are taken into consideration for Music? I noticed alot of bands are starting to use synths to get a bigger sound without having to have brass blasts and woodwinds break reeds.

Your spelling is a little horrendous... but I have two concerns in this matter.

First: I'm pretty sure most bands don't crawl around or do visuals for 2 minutes. Of course there are exceptions.

Second: Maybe it's better to use synths than blasting and breaking reeds?

See bands don't rely on the stuff mentioned above to make state... I'm sure if you took out that stuff, they'd still be competitive. It's just added for variety, kinda like people add spices to food.

Edited by whitewing09