Carrolton TOC 2010

Some Highlights from Saturday:

- Irving - They have come a long ways in the last two years. You can definitely see Mr. Earnhart's influence in the design and methods of execution. I hope they get a strong Division I at UIL Region to help bolster Area C's numbers.

- Lake Highlands - I really like the Romeo and Juliet playfulness with the standout white uniforms. I think a lot of people missed the extra R&J cast in the back stands during the ending, but it was still a really cool idea!

- Trinity - I really like the new uniforms with the grays and red. They are really trying to push themselves to musical places they haven't been before.

- Flower Mound - I really like the power and intensity of the show, but I thought it just fell apart too many times. Great playing and marching when it was together, but there are just way too many places where the band is spread way too far apart.

- Lewisville - The new uniforms (last year, apparently) are awesome. The crowd absolutely loved the immense amount of whole band dancing throughout the show.

- Centennial - I absolutely love love the clarity and beauty of the sounds in Apollo Unleashed and Angels in the Architecture. The Angels Choral was gorgeous.

- Coppell - The opener is super clean and the little tech flairs are so relaxed and stand out beautifully. I'm a little worried about how far over time they were, but pushing the tempos up in Red Pony should help with that. This is going to be a big show later in the season.

- Rowlett - Great sounds with really hard music even while doing some really hard fast drill. Definitely a solid push to make State this year.

- Mansfield - Exciting show with brilliantly hard and exciting drill and especially colorguard! The open rhythmic phrases in Asphalt Cocktail are powerfully played, even while moving a ton. I think they stuck with the Mackey piece a little too long from a design standpoint, but they are definitely executing to a much higher level than they ever have before.

Just watched the video of Mansfield and WOW! I agree with the above post from Xenon - lots of difficult, but well played stuff while on the move. That show demands attention from the start. The guard is also incredible! That guard work evokes some serious memories of vintage Churchill or The Woodlands. My hat is off to you Mansfield. I would dearly love for them to snag a spot to State from Area B, so I can see them in person.

- Lake Highlands - I really like the Romeo and Juliet playfulness with the standout white uniforms. I think a lot of people missed the extra R&J cast in the back stands during the ending, but it was still a really cool idea!

Whaaa? Explain please!!

ps - my musical cleverness is lost on you... ;-p

Whaaa? Explain please!!

ps - my musical cleverness is lost on you... ;-p

Haha, I just don't like Lady Gaga. But I do like the implication that R&J is a Bad Romance (Tragedy).

Romeo was a trombone in a white uniform and Juliet was a guard in a white uniform. They are supposed to be in their sections, but they would fall out to be with eachother. Sometimes they'd be on opposite sides of a form and keep chasing eachother around it, always missing eachother. At times, the forms themselves would give way to the pressure of their lust (I will not say "love" in reference to R&J).

At the end they were finally able to be together as a huge golden flag sweeps across the field. They disappear as the flag passes by (they hide running behind it) and 2 alternates in the back stands stretch out another huge gold flag as R&J magically appear all the way up there (two alternates in the R&J white uniforms).

Haha, I just don't like Lady Gaga. But I do like the implication that R&J is a Bad Romance (Tragedy).

Romeo was a trombone in a white uniform and Juliet was a guard in a white uniform. They are supposed to be in their sections, but they would fall out to be with eachother. Sometimes they'd be on opposite sides of a form and keep chasing eachother around it, always missing eachother. At times, the forms themselves would give way to the pressure of their lust (I will not say "love" in reference to R&J).

At the end they were finally able to be together as a huge golden flag sweeps across the field. They disappear as the flag passes by (they hide running behind it) and 2 alternates in the back stands stretch out another huge gold flag as R&J magically appear all the way up there (two alternates in the R&J white uniforms).

Oh ok cool! I'll have to look for that on a better video.

There is more than just Lady Gaga in there, btw!

Some Highlights from Saturday:

- Irving - They have come a long ways in the last two years. You can definitely see Mr. Earnhart's influence in the design and methods of execution. I hope they get a strong Division I at UIL Region to help bolster Area C's numbers.

- Trinity - I really like the new uniforms with the grays and red. They are really trying to push themselves to musical places they haven't been before.

- Flower Mound - I really like the power and intensity of the show, but I thought it just fell apart too many times. Great playing and marching when it was together, but there are just way too many places where the band is spread way too far apart.

- Lewisville - The new uniforms (last year, apparently) are awesome. The crowd absolutely loved the immense amount of whole band dancing throughout the show.

- Centennial - I absolutely love love the clarity and beauty of the sounds in Apollo Unleashed and Angels in the Architecture. The Angels Choral was gorgeous.

- Coppell - The opener is super clean and the little tech flairs are so relaxed and stand out beautifully. I'm a little worried about how far over time they were, but pushing the tempos up in Red Pony should help with that. This is going to be a big show later in the season.

- Rowlett - Great sounds with really hard music even while doing some really hard fast drill. Definitely a solid push to make State this year.

- Mansfield - Exciting show with brilliantly hard and exciting drill and especially colorguard! The open rhythmic phrases in Asphalt Cocktail are powerfully played, even while moving a ton. I think they stuck with the Mackey piece a little too long from a design standpoint, but they are definitely executing to a much higher level than they ever have before.

I graduated from Centennial so maybe I am a little biased. But I absolutely LOVED their show this year. It was amazing to see what they put out on the field especially due to the fact that a good portion is only freshman. The only thing that killed them was time. Wish they weren't over so we could see where they really placed/ ranked. I know they were about 15-20 over..

I graduated from Centennial so maybe I am a little biased. But I absolutely LOVED their show this year. It was amazing to see what they put out on the field especially due to the fact that a good portion is only freshman. The only thing that killed them was time. Wish they weren't over so we could see where they really placed/ ranked. I know they were about 15-20 over..

Fairly certain there are no time penalties at TOC, so their score was accurate.

I'm in the Mansfield band and am just wondering if anyone expected us to do how we did?

i'm from coppell, and we weren't really "expecting" for the results to happen as they did, but after we heard about your show/watched it on youtube, majority-- or, all the people i talked to, agreed that you guys did EXTREMELY well, and definitely deserved 1st at the TOC. :)

I'm in the Mansfield band and am just wondering if anyone expected us to do how we did?

Quick random question, what time signature is your show in? Unless I'm completely off, I thought Asphalt Cocktail was written in 7/8, and I don't it's possible to march that, haha.

I was REALLY impressed with your music, by the way.

Quick random question, what time signature is your show in? Unless I'm completely off, I thought Asphalt Cocktail was written in 7/8, and I don't it's possible to march that, haha.

7/8 isn't to bad to march in, it just takes many hours of practice to get the hang of

Multimeter marching! It really isn't as hard as it sounds! Not easy, but not hard. Instead of straight rhythm with your feet, you step in sort of a pattern. It is very cool to watch, and I have practiced it, but my band has never done it. I wish though!

Edited by mellopwn1

Multimeter marching! It really isn't as hard as it sounds! Not easy, but not hard. Instead of straight rythm with your feet, you step in sort of a pattern. It is very cool to watch, and I have practiced it, but my band has never done it. I wish though!

it's fun. We did it in Water World, Vesuvius(or how ever it's spelled) and profination. It is easy to get the hang of once you catch the patterns

in the opener after we turn from backfield the next step off is the compound meter, where we march, Left and right and left and and. its weird to explain but we only do it once and the other times we play that part we are holding.

i'm from coppell, and we weren't really "expecting" for the results to happen as they did, but after we heard about your show/watched it on youtube, majority-- or, all the people i talked to, agreed that you guys did EXTREMELY well, and definitely deserved 1st at the TOC. :)

sorry to say but i never saw your show, but i heard it was pretty good, i just wish we could see yall at state but we didnt get it... but good luck to yall you deserver it