No GE in UIL Adjudications Procedures

The sad thing is this:

Two years ago, they were disqualified from the state UIL contest, because of an ineligible marcher. After that, they decided not to compete in the BOA super regional, or nationals. The parents who spent all that money, to send that band to Indianapolis, had to see it all go to waste. Needless to say, the parents were extremely angry when that happened. Imagine takeing several hundred thousand dollars, and flushing it down the toilet.....all because of the irresponsible actions of one kid.

Here is the article from that event from the Houston Chronicle:

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2008/11/...twhs_band_1.txt

That is one of the saddest and most disgusting events in Texas marching history. But you do have to give the director there some credit, for admitting to what happened, and voluntarily taking themselves out that contest. That man showed a lot of moral courage for doing that.

Edited by king_leonides

The sad thing is this:

Two years ago, they were disqualified from the state UIL contest, because of an ineligible marcher. After that, they decided not to compete in the BOA super regional, or nationals. The parents who spent all that money, to send that band to Indianapolis, had to see it all go to waste. Needless to say, the parents were extremely angry when that happened. Imagine takeing several hundred thousand dollars, and flushing it down the toilet.....all because of the irresponsible actions of one kid.

That is one of the saddest and most disgusting events in Texas marching history. But you do have to give the director there some credit, for admitting to what happened, and voluntarily taking themselves out that contest. That man showed a lot of moral courage for doing that.

It was my understanding that Grand Nationals or BOA-SA weren't on their calendar for 2008. TWHS did attend GN's in 2009.

Balash/Sanchez/Valdez... confirm?

It was my understanding that Grand Nationals or BOA-SA weren't on their calendar for 2008. TWHS did attend GN's in 2009.

Balash/Sanchez/Valdez... confirm?

I'm not one of those three but I'm pretty sure they weren't signed up for BOA SA/GN that year. Newspapers can make things much more critical sounding than they should. I remember the article about WC's "Symphonic Schizophrenia" ended with "And they will not perform the show again" which was a no duh because it was halfway through November when they reported it :lol:

Edited by Mellophone77

I was completely unaware that this ever happened...I thought they just didnt make state that year. That reallly is sad...all that hard work for nothing. It must be a HUGE letdown for the seniors who are used to competing at multiple regionals every year to culminate their marching careers with one contest performance. HUGE.

One thing though...since when do you have to participate in a Super Regional to be in Grand Nationals?!?!?!

The sad thing is this:

You are absolutely correct. TWHS was never scheduled for either BOA SA nor BOA GN that year.

Which is strange. The Houston Chronicle article clearly states that they were.....Presumably the Chronicle got their information from the folks at TWHS.

The event is still sad and disturbing. As the HC article alludes to, this has happened before, and conceivably could happen to any band program.

haha. I think I might have to make the trip from Dallas down to their BOA just to see what the area looks like. I thought it was just your average suburb! I never understood why everyone always calls them snobs (which they aren't! they're really sweet!) until now...haha Thanks for the information though!

Np....but just for good measure :),

According to City-Data.com

Average annual household income:

Leander: $60,973

Cedar Park: $76,954

Pflugerville: $85,387

Spring: $69,670

Katy: $62,844

Pearland: $81,842

North Richland Hills: $66,381

Richardson: $70,641

Lewisville: $56,138

Plano: $85,003

Carrollton: $71,865

Hurst: $61,355

Mansfield: $81,326

The Colony: $80,952

The Woodlands: $110,113

Np....but just for good measure :),

According to City-Data.com

Average annual household income:

Leander: $60,973

Cedar Park: $76,954

Pflugerville: $85,387

Spring: $69,670

Katy: $62,844

Pearland: $81,842

North Richland Hills: $66,381

Richardson: $70,641

Lewisville: $56,138

Plano: $85,003

Carrollton: $71,865

Hurst: $61,355

Mansfield: $81,326

The Colony: $80,952

The Woodlands: $110,113

Highland Park: $162,358

Southlake: $160,241

Flower Mound: $116,030

Holy moley! :o So it's true? That's a LOT of money. haha. I think I might have to make the trip from Dallas down to their BOA just to see what the area looks like. I thought it was just your average suburb! I never understood why everyone always calls them snobs (which they aren't! they're really sweet!) until now...haha Thanks for the information though!

Welcome to the world of the Master-Planned Community!

Highland Park: $162,358

Southlake: $160,241

Flower Mound: $116,030

Hehe.....Got ourselves a little game goin' :).

Rollingwood - $129,098

Westlake Hills - $138,670

Barton Creek - $185,156

The thing is, the smaller you go in population the less likely you'll have lower income subdivisions interfere with the mean. Some "country club communities" are so small, all it takes is a few multi-millionaire business owners to skyrocket the typical average. I was making my point with 50,000+ being a good benchmark for an actual "city" and not just an elite subdivision. I also tried to name various communities that many people consider "Rich" that also housed schools with band programs that most on this site would be familiar with to use as a comparison.

I'll give you points for Flower Mound though. The Woodlands and Flower Mound are pretty similar in size and socioeconomic status (I didn't mention them because city-data's numbers kind of contradicted my schpiel, haha). Different studies that look at the data differently rank Flower Mound above the Woodlands in the 50,000+ category, while others rank The Woodlands higher. You usually see both communities on the various "Top charts" out there.

An interesting sub 50,000 community to mention would be Friendswood ($96,881). They have 34,106 people but almost the entire city is zoned to the 4A Friendswood HS with little interchange with outside communities (unlike Westlake Hills, which only makes up a small fraction of the Westlake HS student body). I suppose you could call Friendswood a "mini-The Woodlands" :).

Rollingwood - $129,098

Barton Creek - $185,156

The thing is, the smaller you go in population the less likely you'll have lower income subdivisions interfere with the mean. Some "country club communities" are so small, all it takes is a few multi-millionaire business owners to skyrocket the typical average. I was making my point with 50,000+ being a good benchmark for an actual "city" and not just an elite subdivision. I also tried to name various communities that many people consider "Rich" that also housed schools with band programs that most on this site would be familiar with to use as a comparison.

I'll give you points for Flower Mound though. The Woodlands and Flower Mound are pretty similar in size and socioeconomic status (I didn't mention them because city-data's numbers kind of contradicted my schpiel, haha). Different studies that look at the data differently rank Flower Mound above the Woodlands in the 50,000+ category, while others rank The Woodlands higher. You usually see both communities on the various "Top charts" out there.

An interesting sub 50,000 community to mention would be Friendswood ($96,881). They have 34,106 people but almost the entire city is zoned to the 4A Friendswood HS with little interchange with outside communities (unlike Westlake Hills, which only makes up a small fraction of the Westlake HS student body). I suppose you could call Friendswood a "mini-The Woodlands" :).

Southlake makes up the majority of the population of Southlake Carroll HS of National Football fame.

Just for fun, here are the 2008 5A State Finalists.

Flower Mound (Marcus) - $116,030

Hurst (Bell) - $61,355 (Euless and Bedford are both fairly close to this number, too.)

Coppell - $105,350

Cedar Park - $76,954

Austin (Bowie) - $51,372 (Need to narrow this down for the actual area of Austin that Bowie serves.)

Duncanville - $56,138

North Richland Hills (Richland) - $66,381

San Antonio (Churchill) - $42,261 (Need to narrow this down for the actual area of San Antonio that Churchill serves.)

Austin (Westlake) - $51,372 (Need to narrow this down for the actual area of Austin that Westlake serves.)

Carrollton (Hebron) - $71,865

This is all so interesting...haha. I was googling populations of Flower Mound and the Woodlands to make you sound more accurate and found that The Woodlands actually has a population of over 90,000 and Flower mound is only about 70,000...so I guess it kind of evens out. haha

http://www.thewoodlandstx.com/questions/vi...p?question_id=7

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/tx/flower-mound.htm

Rollingwood - $129,098

Barton Creek - $185,156

Seriously....If you are a band director in this state, why even concern yourself with GE, unless you intend to compete in BOA? If you are just going to compete in UIL, why bother?

Why go out and spend a fortune on a show designed by Key Poulan or Mark Higgenbotham or Richard Saucedo or Doug Thrower? Why not just pay for a simple show, that your band can march and play cleanly, even if it lacks GE? It doesn't have to be a creative masterpiece, under the UIL rubrics.

Because you want to provide your students with a product thats fun to perform :)

...show designed by Key Poulan or Mark Higgenbotham or Richard Saucedo or Doug Thrower?

Forgive me, but who are these people you name? Are they drill writers? Colorguard writers?

I've never heard of them, so I figure they must be new or write for smaller, less-talented, more obscure programs.

Forgive me, but who are these people you name? Are they drill writers? Colorguard writers?

I've never heard of them, so I figure they must be new or write for smaller, less-talented, more obscure programs.

Key is brass arranger for SCV.....

Mark Higgenbotham composed music for Westfield's 2003 show....

Richard Saucedo is the head band director at Carmel and used to arrange Cavies' music....

Key Poulan writes (or has written) shows for a huge number of bands in Texas. But perhaps his most prestigious client in Texas is Flower Mound. And yes, he has written for Seven Lakes as well. Here is a complete list of his clients:

http://www.keypoulanmusic.com/clientele

Altogether, his web site lists 233 clients in Texas. That's a lot of money he has raked in from the Lone Star State.

Higgenbotham has a series of clients in Texas as well. Perhaps Richland is his most famous customer.

All three individuals have consulting practices that sell shows and designs. I wouldn't be surprised if members of this forum marched one of their shows, and didn't even know it.

They are definitely guard people. How could you have never heard of them? They are legends! I know them all personally and have worked with them on several occasions. I learned everything I know about color guard from this crew.

Edited by George