*** 4A UIL State Marching Contest Thread ***

Think we got 'em all rounded up on another thread - in no particular order, 2009 4A State Participants (by Area):

Area A:

Azle H.S. *

Saginaw Boswell H.S. *

Wolfforth Frenship H.S.

Saginaw H.S. *

Del Valle H.S.

Area B:

Fort Worth Southwest H.S.

Mansfield Legacy H.S.

Frisco Wakeland H.S.

Carrolton Newman Smith H.S.

Area C:

Mesquite Poteet H.S. **

Forney H.S.

Waxahachie H.S.

Area D:

Pflugerville Hendrickson H.S. **

Dripping Springs H.S. **

Austin LBJ H.S.

Buda Hays H.S.

Area E:

Brenham H.S. *

Waller H.S. *

Area F:

Friendswood H.S. **

Pearland Dawson H.S.

Galena Park H.S.

Area G:

Roma H.S. **

Corpus Christi Calallen H.S.

Kingsville King H.S. *

Edcouch Elsa H.S.

Alice H.S. *

Finalists from 2007 who didn't make it back:

Austin Connally H.S.

Aledo H.S.

Cedar park Vista Ridge H.S.

Sherman H.S.

Dickenson H.S.

Let the prognasticating begin!

(EDIT: One star for 2007 State Contest participant, two stars for finalists)

(EDIT: Added Del Valle, added Dickenson to not returning list)

Edited by JagDad09

What was the deal with Del Valle's delayed advance into the State Marching Contest?

Dan here is what happened,

The mistake was a misinterpretation of the rules regarding "judges' preference." In UIL there is a rule that states if a band receives a ranking of 1,2,or 3 from at least 2 music judges and 1 marching judge, they will advance to the SMBC regardless of their final placement. Del Valle came in 5th overall but had a ranking of 2 and 4 in music, and a 3 in marching. ( Warning-- I have not seen the actual recaps-- this is hearsay, but from reliable sources!) The contest administrator apparently thought that since the AREA was advancing 4 bands to state, the ranking of "4" in music would count towards this policy. That was the mistake-- it should not have counted, the rules clearly state " 3 or higher". However, during the challenge time, where mistakes can be challenged and rectified before becoming official, no one questioned this. And so the results became "official" and were announced. About an hour later someone, apparently from the Austin office of UIL, clarified the rule, and Del Valle was informed they were not advancing.

But an update from Uil, they had advanced Del Valle, which the band drew the 11th spot for preliminary at SMBC

Edited by jamestrumpet

I'll be second - even though I have only seen a handful of these bands. My 10 finalists, in no particular order.

Saginaw H.S.

Mansfield Legacy H.S.

Frisco Wakeland H.S.

Carrolton Newman Smith H.S.

Mesquite Poteet H.S.

Forney H.S.

Pflugerville Hendrickson H.S.

Dripping Springs H.S.

Friendswood H.S.

Galena Park H.S.

I guess if i had to put money on a winner, I'd pick Poteet - defending champ deserves respect.

Edited by JagDad09

Prelims Schedule (Posted on UIL website)

4A - NOVEMBER 3, 2009

PERFORM

ORDER

SCHOOL TIME

1 HAYS 8:30

2 ALICE 8:45

3 WAXAHACHIE 9:00

4 LEGACY 9:15

5 EDCOUCH-ELSA 9:30

6 FRENSHIP 9:45

7 BRENHAM 10:00

8 NEWMAN SMITH 10:15

BREAK

9 FRIENDSWOOD 10:45

10 KING 11:00

11 DEL VALLE 11:15

12 BOSWELL 11:30

13 LBJ 11:45

14 POTEET 12:00

LUNCH

15 GALENA PARK 1:00

16 WAKELAND 1:15

17 CALALLEN 1:30

18 DRIPPING SPRINGS 1:45

19 WALLER 2:00

20 DAWSON 2:15

BREAK

21 FORNEY 2:45

22 AZLE 3:00

23 ROMA 3:15

24 HENDRICKSON 3:30

25 SOUTHWEST 3:45

26 SAGINAW 4:00

My prediction for the finalists.

Dripping Springs

Poteet

Friendswood

Legacy

Newman Smith

Hendrickson

Forney

LBJ

Roma

Southwest

I think for the state title I would predict either Poteet or Friendswood to win. They are both outstanding bands that will be hard to beat. But it all depends on how hard each band works these next few days.

Folks, this is going to be some competition! Hopefully the predictions will be up soon because I am curious to see what everybody's opionion is. I have an idea of who will probably make it into Finals, but it is going to be VERY close as to who will be awarded medals. I think most people are inclined to choose the more "experienced" bands, but there are some new kids on the block that will really make things interesting.

My top 5 in random order: Friendswood, Hendrickson, Mesquite Poteet, Carrollton Newman Smith and Dripping Springs

There are so many highly talented programs attending this year and I really feel for these judges :)

I don't follow 4A closely enough state-wide (I only barely paid attention to it in my old area because the majority of bands in my school district were 4A), so I can't give a full finals prediction...but I will say this:

I haven't heard Southwest in person; I only know them by what they've done in previous years and what their repertoire this year is.

But if Southwest has a solid, solid musical performance (which is pretty likely; they did come in 5th in Honor Band last year, playing a piece that had its premiere about a week before their UIL performance [John Mackey's Asphalt Cocktail]), I could see them being a fairly major spoiler and sneaking into Finals.

Which would be good to see, given that they got a 2 at UIL the last 4A state year.

Man i cant really choose a fav to win by the name i geuss u can tell im a poteet fan i was in the band 00-04 looking at bands u can say poteet would be favs cuz they are defending the title but whenever u see new names u dont know what to expect. Forney for example first time to go to state and they have a good band this year. I sorta have a mind set its gonna come down to Freindswood and poteet but it also depends on judges.

LOL anyone remember 2003 poteet didnt even make finals but sherman did.

Man i cant really choose a fav to win by the name i geuss u can tell im a poteet fan i was in the band 00-04 looking at bands u can say poteet would be favs cuz they are defending the title but whenever u see new names u dont know what to expect. Forney for example first time to go to state and they have a good band this year. I sorta have a mind set its gonna come down to Freindswood and poteet but it also depends on judges.

LOL anyone remember 2003 poteet didnt even make finals but sherman did.

oh yeah...that was quite a shock! Poteet's show that year was just strange in my opinion. The musical selection just did not fit their style.

AHH!!! I hate having to even think about who could get medals, their are the two "obvious" Friendswood and Poteet, but then there is Newman Smith (which IMO has an amazing shot for gold) and the Area D bands of Hendrickson and Dripping Springs (I cant seperate the two because of the tie at area). Oh and then there are the new schools, Dawson, Legacy, Wakeland, Forney who could take a medal. Of course then you have to look at Hays who took first in Area D Prelims which says they have the potential to be yet another dark horse. Roma is another band to consider as they consistantly make state finals, could this be the year they take a spot on the podium. Wow, this is going to be an amazing contest.

Finalists: (alpha order)

Dripping Springs

Forney (any band that could convince even two judges they are better than poteet deserve to be a finalist)

Poteet

Friendswood

Hays

Hendrickson

Legacy

Newman Smith

Poteet

Roma

Wakeland

here we are again, one week from 4a state marching contest.

finalists in random order

Hendrickson

Friendswood

Wakeland

Newman Smith

Southwest

Dripping Springs

Hays

LBJ

Legacy

Poteet

I understand that i have all area B and D in finals simply because these are the stronger Areas in the state who both consistently have state finalists, you also have to understand that Area B brought in a new slew of bands from there area,seeing that nobody from state in 07 are there again .I CANT WAIT

I don't follow 4A closely enough state-wide (I only barely paid attention to it in my old area because the majority of bands in my school district were 4A), so I can't give a full finals prediction...but I will say this:

I haven't heard Southwest in person; I only know them by what they've done in previous years and what their repertoire this year is.

But if Southwest has a solid, solid musical performance (which is pretty likely; they did come in 5th in Honor Band last year, playing a piece that had its premiere about a week before their UIL performance [John Mackey's Asphalt Cocktail]), I could see them being a fairly major spoiler and sneaking into Finals.

Which would be good to see, given that they got a 2 at UIL the last 4A state year.

I will agree, Southwest has an amazing program music wise, though i have not watched their marching band performed nor watched any videos of them. I can't wait to see them perform next week!

Don't count out the Area G bands by any means. They have greatly improved and it will be interesting to see how they stack up this year. At Area G, Calallen was only 3 points behind Roma after finals. They can both march extremely well. Alice HS and H.M. King (kingsville) both sound pretty darn good this year!!! Too bad Alice marches 2nd in the line up, but they can hold their own (amazing sound) and is a BIG band!!!! Edcouch is quite small and did well at Area, but having seen many state contests, I would not bet on them. We shall see....