• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in ya'lls opinions what is it going to take from a band to get first place? there are so many amazing bands attending and only the best can win.. what does that best band need?

To be absolutely perfect. Or as absolutely perfect as they can be.

To win Nats this year (or pretty much any year, actually), you have to perform your personal best show of the year. And even that won't necessarily win it for you. You've got to be...well, for lack of a better term, you need to be in what I call "the zone."

Which leads to the first time I get to present one of my term definitions on here:

The Zone n. The aura/frame of mind of the individual performer and band as a whole when they are totally and completely focused on what their goal is and what they have to do to get there.

Best definition I've been able to find of "the zone" is LD Bell. It's also a cool study of how the tone of a show affects how the performers perform.

Take a look at the finals multi-cam video from LD Bell 2005, and you will see a flautist in the pit during the ballad. Once she gets through the last 16th-note figure of the solo, she gets this huge smile on her face. Not with her mouth (she's still playing), but in her eyes. It's one of my favorite moments in any marching show I've ever seen (right up there with the spearing at the end of "Spartacus" and the end of Lake Park 2000 [the Oklahoma City show]).

If you watch the finals multi-cam for Bell 2006, the same girl has a solo, this time vocal (end of the ballad, call-and-response with the backfield horns). After this, her demeanor is entirely different, just staring up at the DM, entirely focused, locked in to the performance, knowing it's not done yet.

Most of that can probably be attributed to the differences in the shows themselves: "The Remaining" had a completely different tone from "Ascension." But at least a little bit of it, I feel, is a difference in the situations of the band itself.

In 2005, Bell had had a rough year going into Nationals. "Ascension" had one of the most difficult musical books BOA has ever seen, and it never locked itself in (see: 4th at Arlington, behind Reagan, Churchill, and Richland)...until Finals. But even then, Bell was never quite a contender for the eagle in 2005.

In 2006, Bell had not placed below second. At any contest. The only three times they had been beaten (going into GN) were prelims and finals at Area B, and State finals. They were undefeated in BOA contests, won pretty handily in the two they went to, and were the odds-on favorite to win Nationals.

And you could see it in that Finals performance: that band was just locked-in, entirely focused...the goal was in sight and they were within reach; all they needed was that last, perfect performance.

And they came pretty dang close to getting it, too.

[/soliloquy]

Edited by ftwdrummer

To be absolutely perfect. Or as absolutely perfect as they can be.

To win Nats this year (or pretty much any year, actually), you have to perform your personal best show of the year. And even that won't necessarily win it for you. You've got to be...well, for lack of a better term, you need to be in what I call "the zone."

Which leads to the first time I get to present one of my term definitions on here:

The Zone n. The aura/frame of mind of the individual performer and band as a whole when they are totally and completely focused on what their goal is and what they have to do to get there.

Best definition I've been able to find of "the zone" is LD Bell. It's also a cool study of how the tone of a show affects how the performers perform.

Take a look at the finals multi-cam video from LD Bell 2005, and you will see a flautist in the pit during the ballad. Once she gets through the last 16th-note figure of the solo, she gets this huge smile on her face. Not with her mouth (she's still playing), but in her eyes. It's one of my favorite moments in any marching show I've ever seen (right up there with the spearing at the end of "Spartacus" and the end of Lake Park 2000 [the Oklahoma City show]).

If you watch the finals multi-cam for Bell 2006, the same girl has a solo, this time vocal (end of the ballad, call-and-response with the backfield horns). After this, her demeanor is entirely different, just staring up at the DM, entirely focused, locked in to the performance, knowing it's not done yet.

Most of that can probably be attributed to the differences in the shows themselves: "The Remaining" had a completely different tone from "Ascension." But at least a little bit of it, I feel, is a difference in the situations of the band itself.

In 2005, Bell had had a rough year going into Nationals. "Ascension" had one of the most difficult musical books BOA has ever seen, and it never locked itself in (see: 4th at Arlington, behind Reagan, Churchill, and Richland)...until Finals. But even then, Bell was never quite a contender for the eagle in 2005.

In 2006, Bell had not placed below second. At any contest. The only three times they had been beaten (going into GN) were prelims and finals at Area B, and State finals. They were undefeated in BOA contests, won pretty handily in the two they went to, and were the odds-on favorite to win Nationals.

And you could see it in that Finals performance: that band was just locked-in, entirely focused...the goal was in sight and they were within reach; all they needed was that last, perfect performance.

And they came pretty dang close to getting it, too.

[/soliloquy]

so you are saying perfection and complete focus for the band as a whole? man.. i am getting pretty nervous for this competition..

I love Bell's soloists, they play with such poise and musical sensitivity. Their 2008 Semi-Finals show at Nats (really their best performance all year) is chock full of these little subtleties that you speak of. Like in the beginning of the show on multicam, there's an oboe solo that starts playing the En Paradisium theme, in which the initial phrase resolves by passing over a high note which bleeds over to the Flute soloist....and she (I'd swear she's the younger sister of the Flautist from previous years, but maybe it's just her hair) just belts out this high E. And a split second after she nails it, you see the [Eb]Clarinet soloist standing to the left crack a big ol' smile on his face like "Yeah, this is amazing!". And at the end, as the band is wandering off the field and there's a totally epic Flute/Sax duet, the camera gets an awesome shot of the end of the girl's solo and she pulls this insanely slow, dramatic horns-down with her Flute square in the face of the camera, it tickles me everytime! :lol:

so you are saying perfection and complete focus for the band as a whole? man.. i am getting pretty nervous for this competition..

I can't really say anything from experience...the closest to that my band ever came was going on at BOA right after Marcus in 2008. Yes, that is how unfocused my old band could be: the closest my band ever came to that focus was standing near it.

But just remember who you are. You're THE WOODLANDS. You personally (and each and every other member) embody everything that makes up your band.

So go out there and show the world who you are. Remember, you guys BEAT BELL in a year when they were the hands-down favorite to win it all. Granted, y'all did it in semis, but still...y'all BEAT BELL when Bell was the favorite. Go out there, play your show as best as you can, and you'll be epic.

And, quite frankly...it sounds trite, but winning really isn't everything. Not as much as, say, conveying the idea that you want to convey, as well as you possibly can.

Take a look at Lake Park 2000. It came in 8th at GN finals...and it's probably my favorite marching band show of all time. Why? Because it conveyed the message that it was designed to convey, perfectly. And it connected with the audience. I've watched that show more times than I care to count, and still tear up at the single rose on the tarp at the end.

Edited by ftwdrummer

If only they had had the performance they had in semis.. in finals. I think they would have won.

This is true. I do have one question.. is it normal for semi scores to be higher than the finals scores? I think that happened with us as well as marcus and bell.

**at the boa san antonio super regional** :)

Edited by WOODLANDSBANDLOVER

That's happened at all BOAs in Texas, and most of them overall, this year. So I guess it's normal for this year.

As for The Woodlands, I'm sure you're going to do great! Once you get out there, just focus on giving your best show possible! I dunno how much this helps since my band in the last two years only did one contest that had a prelims and finals....lol.

This is true. I do have one question.. is it normal for semi scores to be higher than the finals scores? I think that happened with us as well as marcus and bell.

**at the boa san antonio super regional** :)

I would think so. Just look at past scores from other years.

I personally would attribute it to that whole feeling that.. Semis could be your last shot. Semis is really what sets up where placing are going to be in finals(usually they don't change to drastically). I remember as a performer, semis is where we laid it all out on the line. Our semis have always been our best performances.

I would think so. Just look at past scores from other years.

I personally would attribute it to that whole feeling that.. Semis could be your last shot. Semis is really what sets up where placing are going to be in finals(usually they don't change to drastically). I remember as a performer, semis is where we laid it all out on the line. Our semis have always been our best performances.

That probably goes for some of the mid range bands. Im sure Clear Brook will be coming in with the attitude that Prelims could possibly be there last performance, so they need to perform at a high level.

However with bands like LD Bell, Marcus, and Avon, I think they know they are going to be in finals. One of my good friends I've made in Arlington went to LD Bell and even though she wasn't in band, she knew a lot of people that were. She told me that they just have the mind set that 2nd place at nationals is just an average year, and 3rd is considered bad. I'm pretty sure not making finals is just not seen as possible for the kids at LD Bell.

I think what gets the kids in the higher level bands is simply nerves because its on a bigger stage, in front of more people, and it means more.

Edited by rpd

That probably goes for some of the mid range bands. Im sure Clear Brook will be coming in with the attitude that Prelims could possibly be there last performance, so they need to perform at a high level.

However with bands like LD Bell, Marcus, and Avon, I think they know they are going to be in finals. One of my good friends I've made in Arlington went to LD Bell and even though she wasn't in band, she knew a lot of people that were. She told me that they just have the mind set that 2nd place at nationals is just an average year, and 3rd is considered bad. I'm pretty sure not making finals is just not seen as possible for the kids at LD Bell.

I think what gets the kids in the higher level bands is simply nerves because its on a bigger stage, in front of more people, and it means more.

I think that's pretty sad if true that students at LD Bell think finishing second at Grand Nats is only "average" and 3rd would be considered "bad". Do they not appreciate the fact that they get to even participate in the finals? Speaking as an Avon fan I can only say that we are truly appreciative to participate in such a great event and while it's great to do well, winning is not everything! Go Marching Black & Gold!

Yeah Its true that they don't appreciate finals. Or at least they don't give off the impression that they appreciate getting into finals. I can't say for sure that they don't, but I can say that they never cheer for themselves at a regional unless they end up winning. But, I didn't go there so I cannot say for sure that they are unappreciative.

Judging from experience, I'd say these claims are pretty inaccurate. And as for the not cheering thing, Bell isn't the only group that does that.

One or two people don't speak for the whole organization. A lot of the elite programs don't cheer for themselves because most of the time, the contest is just a stepping stone in the long season Also, those programs try hard to maintain their dignity and respect when their name is called, regardless of placement.

Realize that it is very difficult to remain humble when you seem to walk out of every contest with a championship medal or trophy. The thrill of having your name called out last is something that drives elite programs in this State, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Can you blame them? Not at all. People like to win. There's nothing wrong with that. How you handle the situation, win, lose, or draw, is what really counts.

The students from L.D. Bell are some of the nicest I've ever met in my years in the activity. I guess there is one memory that keeps me from believing that the program will ever lose its sense of humbleness:

At the 2000 State Marching Contest, my program sat in the section directly next to L.D. Bell. A small stairway at Floyd Casey Stadium separated my band and theirs. Back then, all Finalist placements were announced on the field. This made for quite an intense atmosphere. As the bands were announced, I became more giddy. When they announced us in third place, we were very ecstatic. We didn't expect to be in that position at all. When second place was announced, I heard and saw a reaction that will probably be with me until the day I pass from this life.

Up until the State Contest, L.D. Bell had one of the greatest seasons in Bands of America history. At the beginning of the season, they won the San Antonio Regional by six points, a margin has yet to be matched at a Texas Regional. At the Houston Regional, they came back from 4th place in Prelims to win in Finals by three points. People expected them to completely dominate the State Contest. You'd think that the students would be accustomed to taking home giant trophies after the year they had been through. However, when they realized they had won the State Championship, almost all of them started crying. Very little cheering and screaming came from their program. They simply turned to the person next to them and shed tears with each other. We stood up and cheered our asses off for them, because we knew that we had seen something truly special. What program wouldn't beat their chest and scream to the Heavens upon being crowned State Champions? Well folks, that day, I found the program that didn't.

heck i think making semi-finals is something to feel great pride in. When we (Connally) went in '06, we had no idea of what to expect when it came to results, and when we were announced as a semi-finalist you would have thought we had just recieved a first place medal. We celebrated then, and still hold our heads up with pride as being a grand national semi-finalists.

I have met different LD Bell kids over the years and every single one has been nothing but nicde individuals who take pride in how great their band program is, but never once have gotten close to boasting.

One or two people don't speak for the whole organization. A lot of the elite programs don't cheer for themselves because most of the time, the contest is just a stepping stone in the long season Also, those programs try hard to maintain their dignity and respect when their name is called, regardless of placement.

Realize that it is very difficult to remain humble when you seem to walk out of every contest with a championship medal or trophy. The thrill of having your name called out last is something that drives elite programs in this State, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Can you blame them? Not at all. People like to win. There's nothing wrong with that. How you handle the situation, win, lose, or draw, is what really counts.

The students from L.D. Bell are some of the nicest I've ever met in my years in the activity. I guess there is one memory that keeps me from believing that the program will ever lose its sense of humbleness:

At the 2000 State Marching Contest, my program sat in the section directly next to L.D. Bell. A small stairway at Floyd Casey Stadium separated my band and theirs. Back then, all Finalist placements were announced on the field. This made for quite an intense atmosphere. As the bands were announced, I became more giddy. When they announced us in third place, we were very ecstatic. We didn't expect to be in that position at all. When second place was announced, I heard and saw a reaction that will probably be with me until the day I pass from this life.

Up until the State Contest, L.D. Bell had one of the greatest seasons in Bands of America history. At the beginning of the season, they won the San Antonio Regional by six points, a margin has yet to be matched at a Texas Regional. At the Houston Regional, they came back from 4th place in Prelims to win in Finals by three points. People expected them to completely dominate the State Contest. You'd think that the students would be accustomed to taking home giant trophies after the year they had been through. However, when they realized they had won the State Championship, almost all of them started crying. Very little cheering and screaming came from their program. They simply turned to the person next to them and shed tears with each other. We stood up and cheered our asses off for them, because we knew that we had seen something truly special. What program wouldn't beat their chest and scream to the Heavens upon being crowned State Champions? Well folks, that day, I found the program that didn't.

I agree that one or two individuals don't represent an entire program or band, and my thoughts about being unappreciative of your placement at contests were not even directed towards LD Bell specifically, but for all bands who do not appreciate the participation in great events like Grand Nats. Of course every band wants to be successful and win, that's human nature, my point however is any band member who feels like finishing second or third is "average or bad" is missing the whole point of marching band. Every band will "lose" at some point it how you react to not finishing first that truly shows which bands are classy and which are not. Unfortunately I have seen first hand some very poor sportsmanship and attitudes after bands who expected to finish higher than they actually placed and that is the type of attitude that she not exist ESPECIALLY at competitions such as Grand Nats. I admire LD Bell and the program I'm sure they devote much time and effort to being as successful as they have been. Whatever happens at Grand Nats. on Sat. will happen and I hope that every band irregardless of their placement is proud of their performance on the field and after awards.

Edited by Indianamarchingfan

I remembering people I know rolling their eyes when they saw LD Bell crying and whatnot when they won GNats in 07. There was a lot of animocity towards them for some reason. "Oh, it's all fake. They think they are the bomb-diggity."

At the BOA Arlington Regional in '06, it was the first time my band had made finals at a BOA contest. Sure we ended up 10th in finals, but after we were dismissed, the very first people I met were the drum majors from Bell. They shook my hand and told me it was a real pleasure competing with a new competitor amongst the BOA ranks. They also said that they were proud to compete alongside a newcomer and just having the opportunity to compete in general. They love their organization. Not that I had any negative thoughts towards Bell before, but this really made me respect them more.

I noticed people(just sitting in the stands and being around kids from other bands in general) don't think theyh have to work very hard. Gosh is that wrong. They were so freaking hard to be as good as they are. If everyone else spent less time bashing them and being jealous of them, perhaps they'd be able to work as hard and one day achieve the level Bell has risen to over the years.

BREAKING NEWS!

American Fork from Utah WILL be coming to Grand Nationals. After going through tragedy earlier this season, they will be making the trek to Indiana for a shot at finals after initially deciding not to come at the start of the year. They were able to raise $250,000 in practically two days for the cost of the trip.

"It's just amazing," Miller said. "A band just backed out of Grand Nationals, just last week. When I called today, they could fit us in. We would play on Friday afternoon."

We believe the band that backed out was George Rogers Clark from Kentucky and so American Fork will most likely be performing at 1PM on Friday. They were approached by BOA saying that they had a spot open for them if they wanted it. If nothing else, this inspirational story should serve a reminder to anyone that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Best of luck to American Fork this weekend! I look forward to your show!

BREAKING NEWS!

American Fork from Utah WILL be coming to Grand Nationals. After going through tragedy earlier this season, they will be making the trek to Indiana for a shot at finals after initially deciding not to come at the start of the year. They were able to raise $250,000 in practically two days for the cost of the trip.

"It's just amazing," Miller said. "A band just backed out of Grand Nationals, just last week. When I called today, they could fit us in. We would play on Friday afternoon."

We believe the band that backed out was George Rogers Clark from Kentucky and so American Fork will most likely be performing at 1PM on Friday. They were approached by BOA saying that they had a spot open for them if they wanted it. If nothing else, this inspirational story should serve a reminder to anyone that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Best of luck to American Fork this weekend! I look forward to your show!

Bravo to the private donors that funded this trip within a few days. Considering they are basically traveling 1,500 miles on a last minute's notice, this is something to be remembered.

I hope that their show is evaluated properly at Grand Nationals. If it deserves to make Finals, then put them in Finals. If it doesn't deserve to make Finals, then so be it. Honestly, who the heck cares? The reaction that Jackson Academy received at the San Antonio Super Regional will sound like a faint whisper compared to the eruption that will go down as American Fork takes the field at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Are any of the Txbands staff going to be at Indy? If so, will you have your wonderful blog going for all those who won't be there?

Michael Bui, Eric Salas, and I will all be there for Semis and Finals.

I haven't decided exactly how much blogging will be going on (probably not full), but we will definitely have at very least results live and probably some short updates every once in a while.