• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the first time when the top 3 BOA SA bands compete at gnats??

Which bands are attending this year?

LD Bell

Marcus

James Bowie

The Woodlands

Clearbrooke

wasn't there one more?

Those are the Texas bands attending. Richland was previously signed up but instead has plans for the Rose Bowl, I believe.

i am so excited for gnats this season.. do you think it is possible for texas to claim the top three spots? what do you think the rankings will be among all the texas bands attending? :)

Its a possibility, not a very big one though. Carmel and Broken Arrow look very good from what I have seen, and of course you have to consider Avon in serious contention of repeating.

I think 4 out of 7 is a fairly strong possibility though.

Being the geek that I am, I've been trying to use the numbers to "rank" the bands against each other. It's nowhere near wholly accurate (or even mostly accurate), especially since some numbers are older than others (Carmel hasn't had a BOA performance in about a month) and some higher BOA bands haven't done a BOA contest yet (Avon).

From where my numbers are sitting right now, however (combined with projections on bands we haven't seen yet), Finals are looking something like this:

1) LD Bell

2) Marcus

3) Avon

4) Broken Arrow

5) The Woodlands

6) Lawrence Central

7) Carmel

8) James Bowie

9) Marian Catholic

10) Plymouth-Canton Educational Park

11) Centerville

12) Ben Davis

This will change a lot, obviously...we obviously haven't really seen any bands from the Southeast (Wando HS, South Carolina, and Seminole HS, Florida, are both going to GN), or (surprisingly) some of the better Indiana bands (Avon and Center Grove). But that list isn't a terrible read on how things are going so far this year.

Edited by ftwdrummer

i am so excited for gnats this season.. do you think it is possible for texas to claim the top three spots?

The only time this ever happened at nationals was 2003 at the end of Semifinals when Westfield claimed 1st, Ronald Reagan 2nd, & LD Bell 3rd.

It would be splendid to see Bell, Marcus, and The Woodlands complete this 3 way lead for GN Finals!

The only time this ever happened at nationals was 2003 at the end of Semifinals when Westfield claimed 1st, Ronald Reagan 2nd, & LD Bell 3rd.

It would be splendid to see Bell, Marcus, and The Woodlands complete this 3 way lead for GN Finals!

Not only that....

Texas swept all three captions!

Outstanding Music Performance: Westfield

Outstanding Visual Performance: L.D. Bell

Outstanding General Effect: Ronald Reagan

1. Westfield

2. Ronald Reagan

3. L.D. Bell

This is good. I'm glad Marcus will be up there to compete with LD bell, because it's kinda similar to the 2007 season where Marcus won Super Regionals but LD Bell won nationals where Marcus wasn't there. Even though LD Bell won this year's Super Regionals, it will be interesting to watch this fight for national supremacy, especially adding all of the other bands from around the nation like Broken Arrow, Avon, Lawrence Central, Marion Catholic, etc.

Hasn't Marcus added the sixth movement to their show? I wonder if that would've boosted their score at all at BOA SA finals. And I'm expecting Carmel to be higher on the list then 7th, since they took off ISSMA to do BOA events (even though it seems they've only done two so far and have one left). I'd probably have them around 4/5/6th area, even though that's only a placement up :lol:

It would be awesome for Texas to claim the top three spots! Though Avon's show this year is incredible (based on what I've see on youtube, lol) and could potentially ruin that idea... :unsure:

Edited by Mellophone77

My theory isn't so much that Carmel's that bad (7th place)...it's that everyone else is just that good. And they're going to tick a little bit higher after next week.

Meanwhile, I revised my numbers after Atlanta...and I think Wando could sneak into Finals.

It depends a WHOLE lot on what happens in Indy next week, though.

Not to sound biased but yes Avon does have an incredible show this year, and in my own humble hoosier opinion will be difficult to beat at GN's. However I have not seen the Texas bands except excerpts from their shows and realize they are also incredible and will give Avon and other Indiana bands all they can handle at GN's. It appears the Texas/Indiana band rivalry will continue. Best of luck to y'all.

Yeah, I thought about that afterwards and was like "wow, seventh probably is a reasonable spot for them." I can't wait to watch the live webcast. Though, does Lucas Oil stadium have a different echo effect then the Alamodome? People say its unrealistic to expect a band to win on their first time at GN but I can't see why, other then the hash line change.

On a unrelated note, I really wish Tarpon Springs was going this year. I just saw their encore performance on the fan network and it was really cool xD

Yeah, I thought about that afterwards and was like "wow, seventh probably is a reasonable spot for them." I can't wait to watch the live webcast. Though, does Lucas Oil stadium have a different echo effect then the Alamodome? People say its unrealistic to expect a band to win on their first time at GN but I can't see why, other then the hash line change.

On a unrelated note, I really wish Tarpon Springs was going this year. I just saw their encore performance on the fan network and it was really cool xD

Have not seen Carmel yet this year, but have saw Lawrence Central, Center Grove, Ben Davis, Lake Central, Castle, Columbus North. I would consider Center Grove a darkhorse, and Lake Central has a very dynamic show. Ben Davis is as usual very strong and LC once again has awesome musicians. Lucas Oil's echo is probably like any other "domed" or indoor stadium, but seems much less that RCA dome that Lucas Oil replaced. I would think that any band whether it was their first year competing at GN's or 10th has they same chance depending on how well they perform on that night. Very anxious to see Marcus as they are new to GN's correct?

Edited by Indianamarchingfan

Yeah, this is their first year to attend GN so Indiana bands are in for a treat. ^_^ They're on par with LD Bell so I'm guessing top 3 is possible and top 5 at the very least....I've seen a few Indiana bands (Avon, Carmel, and Lawrence Central) online and they're looking really good. I'm looking forward to the Indianapolis regional this weeked and seeing how to the Indiana bands stack up just before GN.