2009 BOA Arlington Regional

More from Prelims:

- Berkner 17th in Music Individual and 5th in Music Ensemble

- Berkner 1st and 7th from the two Music GE judges

- Richland 14th and 6th from the two Music GE judges

Translating to the raw scores to Ordinals, the following would have been the finalists:

1) LD Bell

2) Marcus

3) Hebron

4) Berkner

5) Richland

6) Coppell

7) Colleyville Heritage

8) Mansfield

9) Newman Smith

10) Haltom

------------------------------

11) Martin

12) Wakeland

13) Ronald Reagan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so... how does one go about getting more GE since that was mansfield's downfall?

I would like to know that as well.

I guess GE is still confusing to me. Mansfield's show is not boring. And I'm pretty sure the drill is exciting.

So why doesn't it have as much GE as let's say.. Marcus's show?

I have read that before.

Then you have the closest official answer you can get without looking at the judging criteria for the GE captions, which your director might have. Essentially, the GE score is about the design of the total package and not necessarily whether it's exciting or not. They're looking for an intended thought, idea, or theme to be communicated through the music and the visual elements, and then they want it to be cohesive and executed well throughout the show.

So, basically, there's not a lot you can do about the GE score if the show wasn't designed in that manner. There are some things, like transitional visuals and music, etc., but trust me when I say after 4 years of helping with the Coppell band I know exactly how little those things actually affect the visual GE score.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah....and Brazoswood was 3rd in prelims and got 7th in finals, Friendswood was 6th in prelims and got 9th in finals....Every band was placed differently from prelims to finals, except for SFA. Nobody really knows who will score where. We could have the same set of judges judge the same contest and get different results every time. It all depends on what their taste and mood is like that day...

Actually, Friendswood ended up getting 6th in the finals