idk how friendswood and dripp like completely switched from prelims to finals

The switch in placements went down for a few reasons. My personal thoughts:

- Dripping Springs had a sound that was unparalleled at the 4A State Contest. With 145 students in the program, they only needed about five or six tuba players to achieve the right level of balance between high and low voices. With ten tuba players, every note they played had such a deep, dark sound. No other program had that kind of sound. Not once did the low brass play out of the ensemble. They definitely received the credit they deserved from the music judges at Finals.

- Two different judging panels + UIL system = Placement fluctuation. We have to keep in mind that the three music judges have the exact same music sheet. The two marching judges have the exact same marching sheet. There is no guarantee that two or three people are going to look at the exact same thing and come out with the exact same result. For that fact, the UIL system can be difficult to wrap your mind around. Now, switch judging panels from Prelims to Finals and you've just thrown a 100 pound monkey wrench into the whole thing. Last night proved something that I've known for a long time: Prelims and Finals are two completely different contests.

With that being said, the members of the Friendswood band should hold their heads up high. Their visual and musical performance was tons better in Finals than in Prelims. After they performed in Finals, I was convinced that Friendswood would hold on to their lead. Although it didn't happen, the students finished out their season strong. That is all you can ask from these students who sacrifice so much time for the activity.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw their drum major run across the field, throw down the trophy and go into a "that's what I'm talking about pose"

I understand that they won state, but I'm just saying as a specator they seemed a bit overboard.

And I still applaud Hendrickson for being classy to Dripping Springs.

"Throw down"???

I know the UIL State trophy is well made, but my guess is that throwing it down would likely break it. I hope for their sake they didn't do that...

I was at the contest, in support of another finalist band (who I am very proud of, by the way, for making it to state and to finals in only their third year of existence...go Broncos!!!...the journey has only just begun) But I can tell you that I could feel the true sense of joy in Dripping Springs when they were announced as Gold Medalists. It's not often that a band's (or any group for that matter) reaction comes from where no arrogance or overconfidence existed. They were confident, as any band at this level should be, but their excitement was so spontaneous and crazy that you could tell they were overcome by the moment. That's what it's all about.

And as for Poteet's Army of supporters...and it is an Army...they were all on their feet as soon as they were announced as bronze medalists. I was right above them and I could tell they were proud, though they would have liked to have earned the Gold one more time...and I am sure that was tough.

But for what it is worth, this was a fantastic contest from top to bottom. Both in prelims and finals. It was intense, as each band came out and laid it out for the crowd and judges. I can remember hearing and seeing bands over and over thinking..."wow, they are really good, we've got to worry about these guys." You know it's a great contest when the talent is so good, and until the very end you still don't know how it's going to turn out.

Thanks to all the bands for making this a memorable event.

just as a side note, i did see poteets parents and students after the show and they were crying and balling, but lets admit it, they have a really high expectations, as do all the other bands that were not only in finals but at the state contest. We as young adults and students have to understand that even though we are really competitve that this honestly and truly, is another step of maturity, and that even though we might have not come in 1st 2nd or 3rd, the only thing we can be proud of is how we felt our individual bands performances went, not how 5 people rank the bands we represent, this is a true test of adulthood, not worrying about what others think or feel but how we feel we carry ourselves

Edited by thegiantbandnerd

and this is partially what gives me this vibe.

Dripping Springs did great and they just won state. Of course they're going to be happy. At Area B competition last weekend, our band pretty much flipped at being announced at going to state. When you pour so much of your life into a goal and you achieve it, you can't help but express pure joy. Especially if, as someone from Dripping Springs said earlier, you didn't expect the outcome.

That aside, congratulations to all of the bands yesterday. Our band was thrilled to have gone as far as we did and seeing eight of the ten finalist bands last night was amazing. I could not have ended my senior marching season in a better way.

I saw their drum major run across the field, throw down the trophy and go into a "that's what I'm talking about pose"

I understand that they won state, but I'm just saying as a specator they seemed a bit overboard.

Actually this is false. The Drum Major infact wouldnt let go of the trophy untill we got to the buses. There was no throwing involved i was literally the first one on the field to congradulate him. Also as Danpod has stated earlier they have covered so much ground in the past 3 years its crazy. Of cource they were excited. Im sure any other program would be just as pumped after winning a state championship. Hendrickson's display of class was greatly appreciated. Dripping Springs' and Hendrickson's relationship (from my experience) has been nothing but mutual respect for each other.

Congrats to everyone at the state contest. It was a wonderful day which i enjoyed very much.

Actually this is false. The Drum Major infact wouldnt let go of the trophy untill we got to the buses. There was no throwing involved i was literally the first one on the field to congradulate him. Also as Danpod has stated earlier they have covered so much ground in the past 3 years its crazy. Of cource they were excited. Im sure any other program would be just as pumped after winning a state championship. Hendrickson's display of class was greatly appreciated. Dripping Springs' and Hendrickson's relationship (from my experience) has been nothing but mutual respect for each other.

Congrats to everyone at the state contest. It was a wonderful day which i enjoyed very much.

Well, he did drop it and start cheering, but he did not "throw it."

Anyway... this horse is fairly beaten.

Ug, every year after the state contest (atleast 4A) there is always a thread about how this band behaved rudely, or these parents wouldnt clap.... Lets face it, this is an activity for high schoolers, when they win yes they are going to be proud of it, and as long as they dont break out into a chorus of "we are the champions and you are the losers" they arent being boastful. I personally know two of the Dripping Springs drum majors, and I know for a fact that they would never do ANYTHING to be rude or boastful towards other bands. I believe that the bands at the state contest behaved well and I saw nothing too extreme to condemn society or anything, kids will be kids.

That being said I first like to thank Danpod for the nice comments on Friendswood's performance, we are very proud of the hardwork we put in this year, and even though we slipped down a notch from prelims we still feel like we "owned the dome". I also agree that state really is two seperate contests, looking at the judges sheets for FHS and the recaps from prelims to finals, the panels had VERY different ideas of what a state champion band looks and sounds like. I think that all bands should be proud this was one of the most difficult 4A state contests in a long time, and all represented themselves and their schools with dignity, hard work, and amazing performances.

The drum major ran over and set the trophy down in front of him, it fell over right afterwards though

As long as they didn't insult other bands, but I could understand the DM doing that though... Dripping Springs making champs was a huge surprise (no offense to anyone!) It's awesome that they're become so strong,2005 nothing, 2007 state finals, 2009 state champ... That's simply amazing!!

Anyone see the prelim results?? Dawson seemed pretty close to Finals... stinks that they had such bad music scores

Two of Dripping Springs' drum majors are fairly timid characters, one of which was running a 102 fever at the time, so I would be extremely surprised if either of them said anything. As for the third, I personally walked back to the busses with him from the dome and know for a fact that no words were exchanged between him and any other bands.

edit: err, not sure if this has been brought up on these forums or not, but our drum majors were accused of being rude on a different site. Guess I'm defending them to the wrong crowd. :P

Edited by Basefiveftw

Although it didn't happen, the students finished out their season strong. That is all you can ask from these students who sacrifice so much time for the activity.

That is exactly the attitude I had when I marched. Everyone likes to get the awards, but it's not about what some random guy thinks about you're show. He might not like your arrangement, your marching style, your uniforms, so you cant put everything in what they say. It's about walking off the field and saying to yourself, "Holy Crap! I can't believe we just played so well!" I've left contests before sad about placement, but it always ended up with a conversation on the bus about how great we were no matter what some old guy thought. Thanks Danpod for getting past the hype of trophies and talking about the spirit behind it all.

That is exactly the attitude I had when I marched. Everyone likes to get the awards, but it's not about what some random guy thinks about you're show. He might not like your arrangement, your marching style, your uniforms, so you cant put everything in what they say. It's about walking off the field and saying to yourself, "Holy Crap! I can't believe we just played so well!" I've left contests before sad about placement, but it always ended up with a conversation on the bus about how great we were no matter what some old guy thought. Thanks Danpod for getting past the hype of trophies and talking about the spirit behind it all.

when i marched i never worried about placement as much as some of my friends did. I personally just tried to do my PERSONAL BEST b/c i know as an ensemble we will always have some trouble spots, and at the end u let urself decide how well u did, and if it was the best possible then who really cares if u finish in last place

On a completely random note, our band walked by Dripping Springs as we were leaving towards the end of finals and I've just gotta point out that most of that band is ridiculously tall. I'm six foot and just about all of the guys and some of the girls were taller than me.

On a completely random note, our band walked by Dripping Springs as we were leaving towards the end of finals and I've just gotta point out that most of that band is ridiculously tall. I'm six foot and just about all of the guys and some of the girls were taller than me.

I actually noticed that too last year at the centennial contest, our band is pretty short and when we walked by them there were some really tall people.

Thanks you guys...

I am the tallest trumpet at 6'1".

And state was awesome, and not because of the medals. The competition was fierce,

it was my last competition, and I think every junior and senior went out there and made his/her band proud.

I'm just glad I was there. Thanks to all for making this such a great competition.

As long as they didn't insult other bands, but I could understand the DM doing that though... Dripping Springs making champs was a huge surprise (no offense to anyone!) It's awesome that they're become so strong,2005 nothing, 2007 state finals, 2009 state champ... That's simply amazing!!

Anyone see the prelim results?? Dawson seemed pretty close to Finals... stinks that they had such bad music scores

I'm from Dawson! Yeah, we got 11th place. Our music scores were strangely scattered. A 22th, a 17th and a 5th! Very strange. However, we had one of our best performances, and have come so far. Our school is only a little over 2 years old. We got to watch about half of finals, and they were amazing! We got to see both Friendswood and Poteet, but had to leave right before Dripping Springs.

Oh, the prelim results: http://utdirect.utexas.edu/uilsmbc/lbw2_sc...;s_display_sw=R

Haha, I guess we just grow 'em tall here in DS. It never really occurred to me... We have one super tall tuba, around 6'5" or so, and most of our low brass is pretty tall. One of the basses, myself and another tenor are all above 6'1", but the snares are all short girls. ;)

Edited by Basefiveftw

Hey everyone, my name is Chad and I am a senior at Mesquite Poteet HS, French horn section leader, and band president. If you saw our show, I was the one with the mic'ed concert horn solo in our first movement and part of the 2 horn/1 baritone trio in our slow second movement.

In regards to state marching contest this year - Congratulations to Dripping Springs for their victory and to Friendswood as well for their second place. I wish I had been able to see your shows on Tuesday, but our schedule didn't work out that way. I'll find them on YouTube eventually. ;)

My opinion about results - Yes, we were disappointed, but no, we were not hateful (except for those select few; you know the type). Again, I want to congratulate Dripping Springs and Friendswood for an awesome job, as well as anyone else who participated.

Edited by Chad