• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, while Wakeland is a good band, you do have to consider the fact that the last time around at area they didn't even make finals. Sherman has a strong UIL based program. Yes, Wakeland beat Newman Smith at the BOA contest, but also take into account that the areas that UIL weights heaviest are the areas that Wakeland scored considerably lower than the previously mentioned band.

It's just going to be interesting no matter what happens in Area B. There's going to be a lot of drama and upsets there.

I only say this having seen Sherman at Plano East and after hearing nothing but raves for Newman Smith and Wakeland at the Region 24 contest. Granted a lot of things could have changed over the past couple of weeks, but Sherman just doesn't seem as strong this year. They are definitely still in contention for advancement, just not at the top of the heap this time.

here's the performance schedule, and i find it really funny b/c the toughest block is the first one.

wakeland

birdville

southwest

little elm

centennial

legacy

break

seguin

frisco

mckinney

granbury

aledo

break

stephenville

newman smith

denison

cleburne

liberty

joshua

break

crowley

the colony

rl turner

sherman

mckinney north

timberview

it seems like that first block really is going to set the standard for the rest of the day, and i think going early here seems like an advantage

Normally, it's good to be last - but I gotta admit there's some logic to being in that first group:

Wakeland

Birdville

Southwest

Little elm

Centennial

Legacy

The top 4 bands might be right in there - and Legacy has the benefit of being last of that group. Ought to be a fantastic contest.

See I might have a biased view but I think the Centennial is going to do great things for area. I have seen wakeland's show and I wasn't extremely impressed by it. Yes it was great on GE but that is great for BOA. UIL is different.I see a lot of not amazing fundamentals and I think that that is going to hurt them a bit. Plus I love their opener, I just wish they would add a little more of the bass voices to it. Centennial has a great sound to their show this year, I wonder if it will hold up in area

And I am curious to see if Frisco High school gets 17th again.... just saying :D

Centennial performed only mvmts 1-4 at UIL because of a not too hot performance of mvmt 5 at the game the night before.

Last state year, Centennial didn't put out the full show until State Prelims....

I really do hafta say though with the information about Legacy beating Aledo and Newman Smith that that changes my predictions a LOT! I actually had placed Aledo first in the Area, and while I still think they're capable of hitting that point, I probably will hafta say Newman Smith, Aledo, Legacy and I can't pick the 4th now out of Birdville or Sherman....

Centennial performed only mvmts 1-4 at UIL because of a not too hot performance of mvmt 5 at the game the night before.

Last state year, Centennial didn't put out the full show until State Prelims....

I really do hafta say though with the information about Legacy beating Aledo and Newman Smith that that changes my predictions a LOT! I actually had placed Aledo first in the Area, and while I still think they're capable of hitting that point, I probably will hafta say Newman Smith, Aledo, Legacy and I can't pick the 4th now out of Birdville or Sherman....

When did Legacy beat Newman Smith?

I was so mad i didn't get to see this show in finals at Westlake. Hendrickson always has really cool show design.

Did you get to see it at Area? We heard great things about you guys all year. We are very happy to make it to state with you guys. We'll forever be competitors, but we respect you guys, too.

Did you get to see it at Area? We heard great things about you guys all year. We are very happy to make it to state with you guys. We'll forever be competitors, but we respect you guys, too.

Yeah I got to see it. I really like the show design. Its really abstract. And you guys always have a full rich sound. I really enjoyed it. Kudos on making the jump from 4th to 1st aswell.

can anybody fill me in on friendswood and poteet this year? these are two of the best bands in the state, but i haven't had the chance to see either of their shows this year and i was wondering what they might be about/how they are doing so far this season... please and thank you =D

can anybody fill me in on friendswood and poteet this year? these are two of the best bands in the state, but i haven't had the chance to see either of their shows this year and i was wondering what they might be about/how they are doing so far this season... please and thank you =D

Both came in first in their areas. I have seen Poteet several times this year and though I was worried early in the season, they were really great in both area performances. It's a hard show and they still have some cleaning to do, but I think they're in good shape. Haven't seen Friendswood, but I have a feeling that this will be their year. They've been so close the past three state cycles. I know they're ready to finally win the thing and I would love to see it happen.

I think Forney's in unless the brass gets too carried away. They are LOUD, which could kill them in the dome if they aren't careful. Wakeland and Newman Smith seem likely as well. I haven't heard anything about Roma this year, but three finals appearances in a row speak for themselves. I would love to see Hays back in state finals and it looks like it could happen.

Hendrickson and Dripping Springs have very strong shows this year, I expect to see them in State finals.

Area D won't be AS strong as it was 2 years ago, but I wouldn't completley forget about Hays and LBJ.

Surprisingly, Hays and LBJ were actually ahead of Dripping and Hendrickson in prelims. I'm not sure if that was a fluke or not, but knowing how strong both DS and Hendrickson are, I'd say that the other two are in a pretty good position for finals. Maybe another area D sweep like two years ago is in store. :)

Ug, I work as a tech for Friendswood so I wont go into too much (dont want to be biased and all) but I will say they are having a good year and have yet to lose to any 4A school (including Hendrickson) but there is of course work to be done before state. I cant wait for November 3rd!!! Oh, and I think Area D definantly has a shot for getting all four into finals, as long as they all have good shows that morning. Good luck to all advancing bands!