2009 Show Announcements

xbones7480

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I wrong for feeling way down on this XMen show just because they're using Medea? I mean, it's well-used in marching band now...but I personally felt it was kinda sacred for drum corps, because of Star '93 (that feeling isn't hurt at all by Star '93 being my favorite show of all time). Any suggestions for getting over myself?

More Medea... Awesome...

a drum corps has not done medea in quite a while. A lot of drum corps fans dont watch high schools, so they don't see billions of people do it every year. That and Guidry's writing style seems to be pretty unique so i think it will sound at least somewhat different from what we've heard in years past

a drum corps has not done medea in quite a while. A lot of drum corps fans dont watch high schools, so they don't see billions of people do it every year. That and Guidry's writing style seems to be pretty unique so i think it will sound at least somewhat different from what we've heard in years past

That's not what I meant, but alright..

• 2 weeks later...

The Blue Stars FINALLY announced their show =D

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...0102&ref=nf

the music you hear is from the preshow, but the rest of the show will be original music. The trailer is a bit generic, but from the 4 and a half minutes of music and drill I've seen so far I can assure you it kicks major butt

the music you hear is from the preshow, but the rest of the show will be original music. The trailer is a bit generic, but from the 4 and a half minutes of music and drill I've seen so far I can assure you it kicks major butt

Are they keeping that nice little piccolo solo, Zach?

there are more free videos from the Bluestars on DCI.org's fan network page

List from DCP:

Phantom Regiment: "The Red Violin" (some music of Corigliano, possibly)

Blue Devils: ?

Cavaliers: "The Great Divide"

Carolina Crown: "The Grass is Always Greener..." (The Promise of Living (from Tender Land) * Puck * Hybrid * Sensemaya)

Holy Name Cadets: "Lenny" (Music of Leonard Bernstein. "We are still about Bernstein but we will be concentrating on music of WSS.")

Bluecoats: "Imagine" ("some Mingus, Metheney, Schneider pieces with some possible Goodwin thrown in there. It seems pretty gospel." Opener: "Children's Hour of Dream," Mingus.)

Santa Clara Vanguard: "Ballet for Martha" (Aaron Copland)

Blue Stars: "The Factory"

Blue Knights: [rumor] "Shiver"

Boston Crusaders: [unknown Title, possibly "Femme Fatale"] (will feature music by composers Camille Saint-Saens (Bacchanale), Richard Strauss (Salome), Ottorino Respighi (Belkis Queen of Sheba) and John Psathas (Dance of the Maenads), in addition to other contemporary works, including music from the video game Myst)

Glassmen: ?

Madison Scouts: "Rel

• 3 weeks later...

Meh.

09BDShow_web_600.jpg

On the heels of the market crash of 1929 and standing at the gateway of the Great depression - 1930 was a year of complexity and contradiction. The contrast of an economic storm-front and the beauty of American optimism present a collage of the cultural unknown.

With an undeniable foot in the present, the 2009 Blue Devils take a look back at a year when faith and uncertainty were suddenly in a dance of the indefinite. To stand in the face of a tempest or take a seat in the dream of diversion, the artist and innovators of 1930 generated a broad emotional landscape. From the buoyancy of Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm" to the multifarious "Piano Variations" of Aaron Copland, the Blue Devils offer a modern exploration of one single year. A year that would herald its number one popular song "Happy Days Are Here Again" and produced the future Judy Garland classic "Get Happy".

With the 2009 program "1930", the present and the past convene in a theatrical conversation of passion and exhilaration. Through unique visual and musical composition, the Blue Devils continue to showcase the world's most accomplished young performers as they travel the US offering a distinctive approach to contemporary drum and bugle corps.

Albert Einstein said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science". The year he made this profound statement? 1930.

• 3 weeks later...
For those of you who weren't able to make it to the DCI 2009 The Countdown in theaters last night. . .

Once again, I was the only one in my theater that Bluuuueed and did the Vanguard yell. . . . :angry:

Then again, I was in Oklahoma City.

From Phantom's site:

Phantom Regiment 2009

The Red Violin

The 2009 production of The Red Violin continues Phantom Regiment's tradition of combining artistry, passion, and power with good old-fashioned drum corps and entertainment. From the color guard's technical prowess and dramatic flair, to the artistry and precision of the percussion, to the emotion and power of the Regiment hornline a new story emerges that will once again set the standard for outdoor theater.

Music from the show is mainly focused around the different variations on the Paganini theme. The music pieces include:

* The Red Violin from the film The Red Violin, by John Corigliano

* Fantasy Variations on a Theme by Paganini, by James Barnes

* Paganini Variations, by Witold Lutoslawski

* Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, by Sergei Rachmaninoff

* Caprice XXIV Paganini, by Benny Goodman

* Paganini Variations, by Philip Wilby

The story includes the trials and tribulations of romance and stardom, as we follow a young, poor musician and his new bride struggling to make ends meet. When the musician comes upon a magical red violin, his life is forever changed. We hope you enjoy the journey, as we present The Red Violin.

Blue Knights present:

BK-shiver.jpg

Winter-Antonio Vivaldi

Gilde-original music by staff members Russ Newbury and Jeff Ausdemore

Landslide-Stevie Nicks

Tarantella-Ethel

Coronation from the movie "Stardust"-Ilan Eshkeri

Don't forget that these Corps along with Open class Corps shows can be found at corpsreps.com although sometimes it can take awhile for them to get on there at times. Good source of finding the history of every Corps.

Edited by IMcom-Josh