2009 BOA Regional Schedule

I didn't mean to come off as arrogant. i was stating my opinion that NS would do good after all the work they did last year. and there will always be a rivalry between NS and The Woodlands. and yes i know we got 28th at the state marching band competition, but the thing is it was our first time and i was just stating my opinion and yes i'm very proud of what we did at state for only a nights practice. we didn't get last and now were just trying to work off to make it to finals at Arlington. But i wouldn't put the odds 9 to 1 i'd make it 6 to 4 and no i'm not doubting we won't but its going to be hard. and back to the rivalry the woodlands will come and bring it because i'm sure if were at any competitions together they want to make us look like crap. Last year started a rivalry and it will end who knows when. but anyway i didn't mean to come off as arrogant. I started the whole thing by saying watch out but i think some people took it the wrong way. i was joking around. so this shouldn't have escalated into this. and good look to all the bands at every competition they go to this year and see a lot of ya'll at BOA Arlington.(they haven't updated the roster yet thats why we aren't on there now)

Doubtful.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubtful.

Agreed.

This may surprise some people, but there are actually some programs out there that just perform and let the show speak for itself. They are not out to make anyone look like crap. They are not out to show anyone up. They learn the show. They perform the show. That's all, folks.

I didn't mean to come off as arrogant. i was stating my opinion that NS would do good after all the work they did last year. and there will always be a rivalry between NS and The Woodlands. and yes i know we got 28th at the state marching band competition, but the thing is it was our first time and i was just stating my opinion and yes i'm very proud of what we did at state for only a nights practice. we didn't get last and now were just trying to work off to make it to finals at Arlington. But i wouldn't put the odds 9 to 1 i'd make it 6 to 4 and no i'm not doubting we won't but its going to be hard. and back to the rivalry the woodlands will come and bring it because i'm sure if were at any competitions together they want to make us look like crap. Last year started a rivalry and it will end who knows when. but anyway i didn't mean to come off as arrogant. I started the whole thing by saying watch out but i think some people took it the wrong way. i was joking around. so this shouldn't have escalated into this. and good look to all the bands at every competition they go to this year and see a lot of ya'll at BOA Arlington.(they haven't updated the roster yet thats why we aren't on there now)

4 schools advanced from your Area to compete at State: Spring, Brazoswood, Westfield and North Shore (going in the place of the Woodlands).

There were 31 bands at the State Marching Band contest prelims.

Spring placed 12th in prelims, 2 places away from finals.

Brazoswood placed 15th

Westfield placed 17th

This was a flip flop placement from Area:

Area F results:

1. Brazoswood

2. Westfield

3. Spring

...North Shore still placed last between these 4 brother bands, and not only that, they placed 28th at the entire contest, beating only 3 bands in the process. All 3 of these bands they beat were from Area G, which is statistically the weakest of the 7 Areas in the State.

To give you an idea of where my '9 to 1' idea comes from and where people are developing their idea of "different league" between The Woodlands and North Shore, Here are the results of BOA Houston which was just 3 weeks prior to this contest:

1. L.D Bell

2. The Woodlands

3. Stephen F. Austin

4. Winston Churchill

5. Clear Brook

6. Cy-Falls

7. Spring

8. Brazoswood

For comparison, L.D. Bell placed 2nd at the State Marching Band contest 3 weeks later, and Winston Churchill placed 9th.

My point is.....The Woodlands placing 4th at Area, beneath Spring and Brazoswood is highly uncharacteristic of the program, and has mainly to do with the way their show is designed (it appeals more to BOA judges). If The Woodlands had advanced to State instead of North Shore I could see them having placed no lower than 16th or 17th at State and likely making finals had they been allowed to advance.

On a more nerdy tangent, this situation is highly reminiscent of a similar happening back in 2000 where a certain black horse 5A band ousted the establishment at Area, shocking critics, and then went on to get slaughtered at the State level, pissing off said critics.

On a more nerdy tangent, this situation is highly reminiscent of a similar happening back in 2000 where a certain black horse 5A band ousted the establishment at Area, shocking critics, and then went on to get slaughtered at the State level, pissing off said critics.

Haha. A few names come to mind, but I have a feeling that you're talking about a program that was in my Area.

Correct. I remember reading some old posts in the BOA archives about that a while back.....'Horatio Rastapopulous' was livid; he made like 3 different threads about the situation and complained in like a half dozen more about it. I thought it was hilarious because even several years later looking back on history, I know exactly what happened firsthand but can't comment because it's ancient history (no one cares now) It's not every day that a band makes the cut from a prominent area (B,D,C....areas in which most of the bands end up making finals) and gets DEAD LAST. Bands that really aren't ready but make the cut due to wild judges and end up getting killed at State happens every now and then (especially in the valley)....and you think "Well it's great that they did well at area and got the chance to go". But in the super-competitive suburban areas it's a little different.

The situation in 2000 would be like Arlington Martin or Flower Mound HS today beating out a band like Richland or Coppell for the last state slot and then getting slaughtered by bands like Sharyland and Taft at the State contest and getting dead last....people would be pretty angry.

Hmm. It appears the Houston regional will be the "lighter" regional this year, like Arlington was last year. This year though Arlington is STACKED. They have 6 of the state finalist and The Woodlands who would have likely have been a finalist.

I also noticed Lafayette HS is performing at the Houston regional. I would like to the see them as well.

I would like to see how well Hebron high does, there band has really transformed over the last couple of years, and I dont think they should be underestimated.......

I have to say for the first time ever, both Regionals are stacked.....Arlington has 6 bands that have GN finalist potential (Berkner, Marcus, L.D. Bell, Richland, The Woodlands, and maybe Hebron), while Houston has 5 bands that I could see making GN Finals if they were allowed to compete individually against the establishment (Cedar Park, James Bowie, Lafayette, SFA and the Woodlands). These are also the bands I consider "locks" for both regionals. I think this is the first time I've named the locks for these regionals as potential GN finalists.

I made predictions for both Regionals from first to last place that I will reveal closer to contest time, and I'm amazed at some of the rankings that I'm giving out to some of these well established bands. For example I have predicted Leander HS to be ranked 16th out of 26 for Arlington--this is a band that made finals at BOA San Antonio last year. I look up to see if there's a way to rank them higher but the bands that are placed ahead of them are just too good and Leander just has a slower rise than a lot of bands. I've got John Marshall ranked 17th out of 26 for Houston. This is a band that has appeared in the UIL 5A State marching band contest, and has made pushes for finals at Houston and Arlington in the past. It pains me to take a consistent 5A Sweepstakes band and Area contender like William B. Travis and have them ranked only a few places from the bottom of the heap.

This could just be a case of overbooking and we may see several program drop out before contest time (The Woodlands is signed up for all 3 Texas regionals....I somehow doubt they will be attending them all). But there is definitely no shortage of talent for either regional; every show is going to be great!

I've got John Marshall ranked 17th out of 26 for Houston. This is a band that has appeared in the UIL 5A State marching band contest, and has made pushes for finals at Houston and Arlington in the past.

Last year was Marshall's first BOA year since 96 (I believe) so it was our first appearance at Arlington and unfortunately we did not make a very big push for finals. We did fairly well at Houston regionals back in the 90s though =/

Back to the Martin discussion, my roommate is a tech and alum at Martin and he feels good about them this year. I don't want to say much because I don't want to skew his words.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very good year for BOA and I can see some programs turning heads and breaking through. Especially after seeing Mansfield's performance.

Speaking of which, when do predictions start?

Heh, looks like someone's aching to give the game another go after tying me for second place last year. Sadly, I won't be competing this year since I'll be moderating the contest B) .

I think competition will be a little fiercer this year because, in addition to our ever-growing community, our new directory system will allow participants to look up bands' contest placement history in the directory before making their predictions for that band. This will allow them to make more educated guesses without having to scour the interwebs for recap files from 2 or 3 years ago trying to figure out how good a particular band has the potential to do at X contest. I'm kind of hoping the easy accessibility of this information will make our game a little more appealing to the out-of-state crowd who frequent this forum, but tend to shy away from our more "Texan" areas since they're not as familiar with the lesser known bands (bands that aren't Ronald Reagan or L.D. Bell or Winston Churchill or Westfield). We're also experimenting with a new score-keeping algorithm that, if we decide to use it, will hopefully reward educated guesses more and discourage the peeps who just put "L.D. Bell" and "Marcus" for every finalist spot just so they can cash in on some free points without putting any serious thought into their choices. Hopefully these new elements will level the playing field a bit and make things a little easier for everyone.

To answer your question though, the first major contests of the season usually aren't until the last week of September. We still have another week or 2 before we'll start setting up the contest.

Okay there are 47 bands in the Arlington prelims. So how many are they going to take to finals? and how is that calculated?

Since Arlington is a regular Regional, only 10 bands will make Finals. Super Regionals are the only ones where the number of bands attending determines the number of Finalists there will be.

Since Arlington is a regular Regional, only 10 bands will make Finals. Super Regionals are the only ones where the number of bands attending determines the number of Finalists there will be.

Wow! That's increadible! A lot of really good bands will be out. :(

I will definitely be attending this event!

Edited by ryan_albert52

I'm not sure if our director has submitted a late entry form or however it works, but I think Fossil Ridge will try to get in the competition; it's been on our Charms calendar for a while, and our director talked about going today. He also mentioned about getting a bad time spot, and the morning spots are TBA anyway.

Yes, late entries typically get placed in the early morning spots unless they are able to switch with another program. This reminds me of the BOA Arlington contest several years ago when Owasso went on first at eight in the morning, rocked the house, and ended up 5th after Prelims. A solid performance in a morning time slot can hold up well.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, if you had to choose only one prelims group to watch at Arlingtonn, this would DEFINITELY be the one to watch. All of these bands are potential finalists.

Leander H.S., TX 12:45

Martin H.S., TX 1:00

Connally H.S., TX 1:15

Berkner H.S., TX 1:30

Hebron H.S., TX 1:45

Ronald Reagan H.S., TX 2:00

Richland H.S., TX 2:15

That's just insane.

http://www.musicforall.org/Programs/Regionals/

The lists are up. Five Texas bands are lined up to appear at Grand Nationals (Clear Brook, L.D. Bell, Marcus, Richland, and The Woodlands). It'll be interesting to see whether all of these programs will be in Class AAA or AAAA. Needless to say, you can probably ship the award for Outstanding Musical Performance in Finals to Flour Mound nine months in advance.

Currently, there are fewer than 45 programs signed up for the San Antonio Super Regional. This means that not only would there be 12 Finalists instead of 14, the same judging panel would be used for Prelims and Finals rather than having two different panels.

Flower Mound

• 2 weeks later...
Good luck today to the Birdville High School band.

They're on the field right now at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis for the BOA St. Louis Super Regional.

Congrats to Birdville on Finals. Must say i'm a little surprised. They're a great group, don't get me wrong, but judging off of their 21st place finish at Arlington the week before, i didn't think it'd happen. Also, they beat PLD overall, place 2nd in class 3A behind last years grand national finalist Lafayette and take the music caption. Good luck in Finals guys!