2009 BOA Regional Schedule

we saw them go head to head at state and i know boa is a totally different judging style but i think marcus would have won.

But BOA GN is a full 1.5 weeks after State. Marcus peaked at State but LD Bell was designed to peak at the later time of BOA GN.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can add oorth Shore to BOA Houston this year will be tougher for everyone. Our drumline is better than ever and so is our band so everyone watch out this year

Watch out? Oh dear. Let's be humble, please.

And yes, both shows were designed to peak at different times. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out this year.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know many indy bands but ive heard that they have a good handful that good give any good tx band a run for their money. okla bands -- theres only like 2 or 3 that can hang in there with our bands like marcus and bell. isnt there also a few great cali bands tho? are any of them going to be attending gn?

i dont know many indy bands but ive heard that they have a good handful that good give any good tx band a run for their money. okla bands -- theres only like 2 or 3 that can hang in there with our bands like marcus and bell. isnt there also a few great cali bands tho? are any of them going to be attending gn?

Here's a list of bands that can "hang" with Marcus/Bell/The Woodlands:

Illinois

Marian Catholic-7 time Grand National Champions, 14 time Class AA Champions, have never missed finals (since 1983).

Indiana

Avon-2008 Grand National champion, ISSMA Class A Champion 2002-2007

Lawrence Central-2001 and 2004 Grand National Champions, ISSMA Class A Champions 2008

Carmel-2005 Grand National Champion

Oklahoma

Broken Arrow-2006 Grand National Champions

Also, I don't count Bowie as a "for sure" Finals lock. They play very, very well, but their visual performance leaves something to be desired.

They were 3rd in San Antonio finals in music ensemble, however, their visual performance was 9th.

If BOA would update the regional lists, I could make predictions a bit better, but based on the current lists, I count perhaps at least 9 bands that could potentially finish higher at Grand Nationals. That 10-18 range of bands is going to be quite interesting.

Just want to make a correction for you Dan. Avon was Class A State Champions in 2003-2007. In 01 and 02 they were Class B State Champions. Easy enough mistake so I won't mock you....this time. ;)

As for California bands, the three biggest names that I can think of are Ayala, Upland, and Etiwanda. Recently, Etiwanda seems to have been on a downhill slide. I don't see any CA bands planning on attending GN at this time either but I wouldn't be surprised to see if one was added later.

Broken Arrow isn't the only great band from OK either. Owasso is planning on attending GN this year as well. The last time they attended they made finals as well surpassing their rival of Broken Arrow in Semi Finals. Union, while not attending GN this year (so far), also seems to have improved giving a tremendous showing last year making it into the teen placings during Semi Finals.

Here is the breakdown of how many bands from each state will be attending Grand Nationals from the lists that they CURRENTLY have up (as of 5/15/09):

Ohio: 22

Indiana: 11

Kentucky: 10

Michigan: 7

IL: 7

TX: 6

Oklahoma: 3

SC: 2

NC: 2

Missouri: 1

WI: 1

GA: 1

NJ: 1

Florida: 1

Mississippi: 1

Total: 76

More bands will be added later and of course bands will be removed. This list WILL change but for now, this is what they have. Excuse me if there are a few errors however because it is 3AM right now. :) I'm pretty sure that it is accurate however.

• 3 months later...
Watch out? Oh dear. Let's be humble, please.

And yes, both shows were designed to peak at different times. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out this year.

What are you saying that North Shore sucks? Ok so they beat the woodlands its no big deal that they got ranked 2nd in visual by all the judges. im just stating the fact North Shore is an upcoming band to watch out for? See you at Arlington

What are you saying that North Shore sucks? Ok so they beat the woodlands its no big deal that they got ranked 2nd in visual by all the judges. im just stating the fact North Shore is an upcoming band to watch out for? See you at Arlington

Okay.

You sure the band's going? As of July 20th, they're not on the list...

Hmm....seems like there was a pretty interesting conversation here back in May that I missed out on.

So help me out here, where exactly is this big marching band showdown taking place between the Woodlands and North Shore? I don't see North Shore having attended or planning to attend any contests remotely close to Arlington, ever. I will go ahead and humor Mr. 'I March' by saying that North Shore is indeed a rising band in the world of outdoor performance ensembles (a 300 member band qualifying for the 5A State Marching Band contest is certainly nothing to shake a stick at, especially considering they have no apparent track record) and I'm curious to see where they go. But at the same time I also say if the contest in question is BOA Arlington, I would put the odds at about 9 to 1 in favor of The Woodlands outperforming the North Shore band. In the BOA realm the ability difference between the 2 is just that considerable.

Hmm....seems like there was a pretty interesting conversation here back in May that I missed out on.

So help me out here, where exactly is this big marching band showdown taking place between the Woodlands and North Shore? I don't see North Shore having attended or planning to attend any contests remotely close to Arlington, ever. I will go ahead and humor Mr. 'I March' by saying that North Shore is indeed a rising band in the world of outdoor performance ensembles (a 300 member band qualifying for the 5A State Marching Band contest is certainly nothing to shake a stick at, especially considering they have no apparent track record) and I'm curious to see where they go. But at the same time I also say if the contest in question is BOA Arlington, I would put the odds at about 9 to 1 in favor of The Woodlands outperforming the North Shore band. In the BOA realm the ability difference between the 2 is just that considerable.

I don't think there's a showdown here. Just another case of a rogue student coming off arrogant over one State appearance only because a band member from The Woodlands screwed up and claimed he was an eligible marcher.

To shift topics slightly, I think The Woodlands program is the most dangerous band in the State of Texas this year. I'm 100% positive that those students will be out to redeem themselves, considering what happened after Area last year. Talk about motivation. The amount of motivation the program has this year is almost tantamount to the number of trees in their community. I have no idea what The Woodlands' show is this year, but I'm guaranteeing a Grand Nationals Finalist spot for them.

^I agree 100% a "revenge" style motivation is the strongest motivation I have witnessed and I think that not only a finals appearance is a lock but if their show is of their usual caliber a top 5 finish is a lock. (lets not forget that in 2006 they were first in semi-finals)

Edited by titancoaster

I didn't mean to come off as arrogant. i was stating my opinion that NS would do good after all the work they did last year. and there will always be a rivalry between NS and The Woodlands. and yes i know we got 28th at the state marching band competition, but the thing is it was our first time and i was just stating my opinion and yes i'm very proud of what we did at state for only a nights practice. we didn't get last and now were just trying to work off to make it to finals at Arlington. But i wouldn't put the odds 9 to 1 i'd make it 6 to 4 and no i'm not doubting we won't but its going to be hard. and back to the rivalry the woodlands will come and bring it because i'm sure if were at any competitions together they want to make us look like crap. Last year started a rivalry and it will end who knows when. but anyway i didn't mean to come off as arrogant. I started the whole thing by saying watch out but i think some people took it the wrong way. i was joking around. so this shouldn't have escalated into this. and good look to all the bands at every competition they go to this year and see a lot of ya'll at BOA Arlington.(they haven't updated the roster yet thats why we aren't on there now)

Edited by I MARCH