2008 BOA GN Finals!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe for Drum Corps, but for all the different tone colors that marching bands put off, the acoustics of a closed-in area bleeds them all together in reverb, which imo sounds awesome!

True, it is completely different and lends itself to different kinds of sounds. And Tarpon could have never pulled off what they did if it wasn't for the enclosed space. And an open air stadium also sounds awful outside certain yardlines while inside keeps things acceptable. But the immense raw power and clarity that is possible in an outside stadium (especially sitting in the right spot) can't be beat.

I can't imagine what a power chord from a top 5 drum corps would sound like in a stadium of the likes of which you're describing if they keep the roof closed. It might actually be a better move for them to open it up.

Only a middle portion of the roof opens, so I'm not sure what kinds of odd games that would play with the sounds. Although, it would let some of it out. But everyone that was here (especially in section 240) has a good idea of what that kind of power (even if not the same clarity) might sound like because of the extremely fun blasting we got from Western Carolina University.

So do you think having all these curtains up altered the sound some? If so, was it for the better or was it worse?

It had to have altered it a LOT. On the concourse that is normally open to the stadium, you couldn't hear much coming through the curtain, all the sound came from the corners that weren't covered. And we didn't really get any crowd noise from the concourse inside the stadium either. The main back curtain was probably the biggest help, though. There wasn't any direct bounceback from the backfield playing, just the sound filling the stadium with reverb. This is completely the opposite of what you get at Round Rock ISD Stadium or Baylor. This might cause a slight problem for bands that were planning on playing backfield technique.

Why are we questioning the music caption when clearly Ben Davis and Lafayette had no business whatsoever even being in finals? They picked the right year to come, I guess.

Dobyns-Bennett and Lake Central would have been better picks, in my opinion. Both played well, march ok, not great, but certainly better than the alternatives.

Carmel played well....L.D. Bell didn't have a good run. That's all there is to that. Remember that BOA wants people to be clean and sound good...so saying their book is easy is a moot point.

Overall, having the opportunity to watch the top 7 was very moving. They all had great programs. No one really pushing the envelope this year, but some very creative ideas!

Why are we questioning the music caption when clearly Ben Davis and Lafayette had no business whatsoever even being in finals? They picked the right year to come, I guess.

I have to disagree about Lafayette. They gave a very good semis performance. I had no doubt they would be coming back for finals. The definitely deserved it.

Dobyns-Bennett and Lake Central would have been better picks, in my opinion. Both played well, march ok, not great, but certainly better than the alternatives.

Carmel played well....L.D. Bell didn't have a good run. That's all there is to that. Remember that BOA wants people to be clean and sound good...so saying their book is easy is a moot point.

Overall, having the opportunity to watch the top 7 was very moving. They all had great programs. No one really pushing the envelope this year, but some very creative ideas!

Lafayette was absolutely deserving of being in Finals, IMO.

I was looking through the BOA GN Program book last night in my seat while waiting for Finals to start when I saw a particular picture that caught my eye.

On page 61 is an ad for PASIC and in the top right is a photo of a percussionist playing on her keyboard. The uniform is what caught my attention first. It was a Georgetown uniform. Then I look closer at the picture and realized I recognized the person in the picture. I believe it's txbands.com's own urkadrums.

So I thought all of you should know and here is a picture for her. :]

l_a79f7954251d46df8d86fdc6a58d1fcf.jpg

Edited by treblemaker

heh....awesome. That FJM uniform design isn't original though (it's from one of their templates, there was 1 band at GN that made it to semis that had the exact same uniform design, even down to the colors).

But considering it's a PASIC ad, then I have no doubt it's Georgetown (I can't tell if that's urkadrums though, the pic is too rough, she'd have to speak for herself I guess lol). I'm a little curious as to why PASIC didn't use 2007 Fred Sanford award-winner Flower Mound to appear in that ad instead of 2006's winner (Gtown)....maybe they thought Georgetown's uniforms were flashier....or it could just be that they designed the ad in '06 or early '07 and didn't feel like making another one (I'll bet the same ad was in last year's program as well).

Wow....a high school student flying up to the opposite side of the country to watch a marching band competition in the middle of the school year. You have family/friends up there to visit that would serve as a secondary purpose of traveling or do you just love marching band that much?

Edited by takigan

Wow....a high school student flying up to the opposite side of the country to watch a marching band competition in the middle of the school year. You have family/friends up there to visit that would serve as a secondary purpose of traveling or do you just love marching band that much?

I just love marching band that much. I didn't want to miss Bell's possible history making performance. I actually went up with my 3 best friends. We had so much fun. It's so worth the unexcused absences we are going to get. :D

I sat in section 240 for all of semifinals. I was just down from the Txbands.com guys at the end of the top row. (They might remember a guy wearing an LD Bell Band shirt.) I was really impressed to see you guys there, and wish I had talked to you a little bit. Maybe next time. I actually just found this website last week, when I was looking around for some info on Texas bands. Even though I've lived in Indiana for most of my life, I'm originally from Texas, down in the Valley. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Indiana bands since my daughters were both in marching band up here. (I'm very familiar with Avon, Carmel, Lawrence Central, etc.) However, I love seeing the Texas bands. GN is my only chance during the year to see them, and that's primarily why I go. Sometime in the future, I'd like to come down for the San Antonio Super-Regional (got family in SA). I was a little disappointed that only 3 Texas bands made it up to GN this year, though I know with the finals schedule and the economy the way it is that it's not a trip most bands can make every year. And because of other commitments, I couldn't go to prelims Friday, so I didn't even get to see Hidalgo or Colleyville Heritage. I really hope more Texas bands can make the trip next year. But at least I got to see LD Bell twice. I sat in section 441 for finals, and I agree the sound was better at the top of the lower level. The view from the 400 level was great, but I probably wouldn't sit any higher if I had the choice. It wouldn't have mattered where I sat though as long as I was in the building, because I had to see the Quest and LD Bell did not disappoint.

Great job with the website guys. Hope to see you at GN next year too. Incidentally, I have a ton of LD Bell pics from semis and finals if anyone is interested.

Rudy Marquez

I sat in section 240 for all of semifinals. I was just down from the Txbands.com guys at the end of the top row. (They might remember a guy wearing an LD Bell Band shirt.) I was really impressed to see you guys there, and wish I had talked to you a little bit. Maybe next time. I actually just found this website last week, when I was looking around for some info on Texas bands. Even though I've lived in Indiana for most of my life, I'm originally from Texas, down in the Valley. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Indiana bands since my daughters were both in marching band up here. (I'm very familiar with Avon, Carmel, Lawrence Central, etc.) However, I love seeing the Texas bands. GN is my only chance during the year to see them, and that's primarily why I go. Sometime in the future, I'd like to come down for the San Antonio Super-Regional (got family in SA). I was a little disappointed that only 3 Texas bands made it up to GN this year, though I know with the finals schedule and the economy the way it is that it's not a trip most bands can make every year. And because of other commitments, I couldn't go to prelims Friday, so I didn't even get to see Hidalgo or Colleyville Heritage. I really hope more Texas bands can make the trip next year. But at least I got to see LD Bell twice. I sat in section 441 for finals, and I agree the sound was better at the top of the lower level. The view from the 400 level was great, but I probably wouldn't sit any higher if I had the choice. It wouldn't have mattered where I sat though as long as I was in the building, because I had to see the Quest and LD Bell did not disappoint.

Great job with the website guys. Hope to see you at GN next year too. Incidentally, I have a ton of LD Bell pics from semis and finals if anyone is interested.

Rudy Marquez

Thanks for the support, Rudy! I hope we weren't too loud for you with our craziness. As always, it was a real treat to have different people from all over the country come up to us and talk about how much they appreciate the site. I think I speak for everyone on staff when I say that we love it when parents, students, and directors sit down with us to pick our brains.

I was looking through the BOA GN Program book last night in my seat while waiting for Finals to start when I saw a particular picture that caught my eye.

On page 61 is an ad for PASIC and in the top right is a photo of a percussionist playing on her keyboard. The uniform is what caught my attention first. It was a Georgetown uniform. Then I look closer at the picture and realized I recognized the person in the picture. I believe it's txbands.com's own urkadrums.

So I thought all of you should know and here is a picture for her. :]

l_a79f7954251d46df8d86fdc6a58d1fcf.jpg

heh....awesome. That FJM uniform design isn't original though (it's from one of their templates, there was 1 band at GN that made it to semis that had the exact same uniform design, even down to the colors).

But considering it's a PASIC ad, then I have no doubt it's Georgetown (I can't tell if that's urkadrums though, the pic is too rough, she'd have to speak for herself I guess lol). I'm a little curious as to why PASIC didn't use 2007 Fred Sanford award-winner Flower Mound to appear in that ad instead of 2006's winner (Gtown)....maybe they thought Georgetown's uniforms were flashier....or it could just be that they designed the ad in '06 or early '07 and didn't feel like making another one (I'll bet the same ad was in last year's program as well).

AHH! That IS me!! :D

Sophmore year me, but still me !

That is so B.A. I want a GN program now, just for that ad. Thanks for the photo, at least ! :]

I guess they just used our Fred Sanford award winning year 2006 because they were like, man this girl is really good looking, let's use her picture to advertise for PASIC, even though they won 2 years ago.

haha, I'm just playing ;]

Edited by urkadrums

AHH! That IS me!! :D

Sophmore year me, but still me !

That is so B.A. I want a GN program now, just for that ad. Thanks for the photo, at least ! :]

I guess they just used our Fred Sanford award winning year 2006 because they were like, man this girl is really good looking, let's use her picture to advertise for PASIC, even though they won 2 years ago.

haha, I'm just playing ;]

Write PASIC and ask for royalties!

It'd be nice to see some new faces in there with the potential to make a splash. Marcus, Cedar Park, Hebron, Berkner and Brazoswood are some that come to mind.

I could see Berkner making the trip sometime in the near future. Frank Troyka has strong ties with BOA and he took his old band (Cypress Falls) to Grand Nationals in 2006.

It'd be nice to see some new faces in there with the potential to make a splash. Marcus, Cedar Park, Hebron, Berkner and Brazoswood are some that come to mind.

I could see Berkner making the trip sometime in the near future. Frank Troyka has strong ties with BOA and he took his old band (Cypress Falls) to Grand Nationals in 2006.

Actually, he was already at Berkner for the 2006 marching season. Although, I do believe that he got the ball rolling on Cy-Falls' GN trip.

Yeah Mr. Troyka signed us [Cypress Falls] up for Grand Nationals, then that spring he left, to Berkner, we did go to Grand Nationals that same year but Mr. MacAnear as our head director.

Yeah, that's right. If I'd thought about it a little more I would have realized that -_- . I knew Troyka was the big promoter for their Grand Nationals trip so I figured the 2006-2007 school year was his last year and he was the one who took them, but in actuality it was the year before that was his last year.

impressive these scores i still have yet to see and i am not totally sure if they are even out? info please

congrats avon

richard saucedo is a musical g btw so im somewat not suprised to see them win music but then again this is LD Bell we are talking about so just gotta wait for these scores and see wat the judges were thinking