WC show offensive??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so on KSAT 12 they had an article of how the 2008 WC band show was offensive to the NAMI...

so now all the band members have to go and apologize to the whole institute

Really?

my band kid hasn't been told that. I missed the stupid news broadcast, but didn't anyone bother to talk to anyone actually connected with the band, such as the band director?????? It was not mentioned in the web site...but why would anyone do that?? Did anyone connected with NAMI actually see the band perform??? :blink: Doubt it

That kind of makes me mad. Had a show on television or Broadway portrayed Schizophrenia in the same manner, no one would complain. I don't understand why it is any different with a marching band just trying to put a performance onto the field. I think it goes without saying that the band didn't get together to design a show that was meant to offend anyone. They just want to entertain. I thought the show was very well designed.

man.. someone's always gotta complain about something..

and always claim that "their offended" i mean seriously?? its a high school marching show.

and why should the KIDS apologize when they're just given the music and drill and just performing the show. do you think the kids actually think "hey, this could be offensive" uh no? they just wanna learn the show and compete... ugh.. so dumb.they dont have anything else to do than to complain about a show...

i like their show this yr. B)

i wish they hadnt taken off the youtube vid...anyone have it and want to email it to me? :P

so anywho...while i personally havent seen the show.

the theme is a sensitive subject. and as a psych major i believe that it should be treated as such.

but i dont really think the media handled it very well.

they could have informed the churchill band directors for one...

the straight jacket thing (that again, i havent seen) might have been one of the main issues that people found 'offensive' and while it is a common misconception about the mentally ill....

people are forgetting one thing....

this is band.

its art.

it shouldnt be seen as poking fun at 'the crazies'

but thats just my opinion..

here is a link to the only performance that I could ever find on youtube, this is the Area D finals, not very clear, tho but if you have not seen the band perform, at least this is something.

If you haven't seen the band perform, then can you really judge?

Oh, and apologize for what?

this guy ed dickies said that our show was portraying that all people with mental illnesses should be put in straight jackets

and if we don't apologize i guess we can get sued or something

this guy ed dickies said that our show was portraying that all people with mental illnesses should be put in straight jackets

and if we don't apologize i guess we can get sued or something

Its really unfortunate that there are people out there like that...I have half a mind to send the guy an e-mail in hopes that he would realize he's doing nothing more than picking on a bunch of talented kids...but I doubt it would accomplish anything

Its really unfortunate that there are people out there like that...I have half a mind to send the guy an e-mail in hopes that he would realize he's doing nothing more than picking on a bunch of talented kids...but I doubt it would accomplish anything

i bet he is getting flooded with e-mails and phone calls right now

he should have never brought it up

Well great art is always going to offend someone, yes this entire thing is stupid. But props to churchill for putting something on the field diffrent and I personally enjoyed it. And lol if the kids are actually expected to apologize for anything its complete non-sense sience they only perform what their directors put togther for them. Oh and how exactly did the director recover from the fall from the band tower? Our band director told us he was in the hosptal a long time ago during practice. I just never actually knew the outcome.

Well great art is always going to offend someone, yes this entire thing is stupid. But props to churchill for putting something on the field diffrent and I personally enjoyed it. And lol if the kids are actually expected to apologize for anything its complete non-sense sience they only perform what their directors put togther for them. Oh and how exactly did the director recover from the fall from the band tower? Our band director told us he was in the hosptal a long time ago during practice. I just never actually knew the outcome.

he was only out for a week he made a very quick recovery

And lol if the kids are actually expected to apologize for anything its complete non-sense sience they only perform what their directors put togther for them.

thank you! thats what i said ealier! its not like these kids are thinking "hey this could be offensive" they're thinking "hey we need to do good this yr and learn this show!" or something related to that. thats dumb this guy is picking on a bunch of kids over something that they really didnt have any control over. i mean if any one should apologize it would the the director but the whole thing is outrageous anyway. some one has way too much time on their hands to decide the show is "offensive"

ugh people frustrate me. just enjoy the show. dont go picking it apart.

right before BOA Houston, there was plenty of talk about the word "hate" being spelled out on the field by the band, but only by the school principal and some non-band parents (although nothing was ever mentioned about the words "manic" nor "violent"--curious). There was a vague reference early on about the use of the strait jackets but it just seemed to fade away real quick. Just kept hearing about that one little word.....whatever.

The district was fully aware of the whole program. When the band director got hurt, a district official came in to assist at the rehearsals and several of the state competitions. So the district cannot claim they did not know what the show was about.

There are several definitions of the work "schizophrenia". Go look it up.

Why come along almost 2 weeks after the marching season has ended and accuse a hard working band of being insensitive and ignorant? That statement there could be considered ignorant in itself. I still don't know how this performance promotes the statement that all mentally ill people need to be in strait jackets and locked up. People have such a need to pick anything apart and take something out of context to draw attention to themselves. But lots of times they bring even more attention to something that would've otherwise faded away and make themselves look ridiculous. Of course, this show will never be played again, marching season is done, duh.

It's going to be one very interesting parents meeting on Monday.....

I still don't know how this performance promotes the statement that all mentally ill people need to be in strait jackets and locked up. People have such a need to pick anything apart and take something out of context to draw attention to themselves. But lots of times they bring even more attention to something that would've otherwise faded away and make themselves look ridiculous. Of course, this show will never be played again, marching season is done, duh.

ok see. im sure someone would complain even if they didnt have the straight jackets. if they were running around with their hair a mess and running around like a bunch of idiots someone would complain saying that the should is stating that mentally ill people run around acting crazy with their hair a mess. they're going to find something wrong with it. its stupid.

and even if its thought that the shows promoting the statement that mentally ill people need jackets, why not complain all the movies and shows that "make that statement"too. the band isnt even implying anything that people dont already think when you talk about someone being mentally ill or in a mental institution.

these are kids. just marching a show.

and why bring this up now?? if its so offensive then why not, oh i dont know, DONT WATCH IT?? we see offensive things everyday but not everyone complains and tries to get in the paper about it. some of us are actually mature enough to... well... MOVE ON. blow it off.

they needs to get over themselves and leave it alone. its not physically hurting anyone. and its not like the mentally ill even know whats going on.

ok. my rant is done. lol sorry..