Favorite High School Marching show

Ronald Reagan HS 2005 - You Never Know....

The integration of modern music and classical music at its best. The opener was fun, the ballad was emotional and the closer was tear jerking. The climax at the in the closer from Love Actually's "Prime Minister's Love Theme" is one of my favorite musical moments of all-time. Ronald Reagan sounded gorgeous that year and their percussion section is one of the best I've heard on the field.

L.D. Bell HS 2006 - The Remaining

Emotional, loud, soft, eerie...it's everything that I look for in a marching show. Every time I'm stressed, Bell 2006 is one of the first things I pull up (besides Dave Matthews Band) on my mp3 player/laptop and I blare it as loud as I can. The show covers all aspects of my emotional spectrum.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell 2006.

I have been a long time fan of marching band, but it wasn't until I saw this show that I truly understood why I loved the activity so much. I first saw it at the Arlington Regional that year, and the stands were so quiet.. no one moved no one said a word. The show had everyone drawn in. The eerie trumpet at the beginning, the odd organ notes, the somewhat-psycho guard. It gave me chills. Kids in the stands were crying because it was so creepy. Never in my life had I seen a show(except Phantom Regiment 1996) that gave me such a strong feeling of emotion. The music blew my mind. It remains one of my favorite marching shows of all time.

Plymouth-Canton 2001.

My cousin was in that band that year, and being the only kid in the family taking an interest in music, my uncle allowed me to come watch. That show was definitely an eye-opener for me. So much visual-craziness. The visuals were awesome and not to mention they sounded great and I can still tell you all about the show. The show kept my attention from start to end. (Also, the whole band was just.. professional. They were all so cool and down to earth.) Yep.

Marcus 2006.

Okay okay. I have been really harsh on Marcus over the years, but I have to say this show really remains a favorite of mine. I was very skeptical at first, considering the sea horses and whatnot. But as I saw the show progress, I actually got over that stuff and listened to the music. The musical selections were fantastic, and the musicality was tremendous. Loved the addition of the fish flags during the fish hatchery. Visually it was impecable. Definitely a favorite.

(I know you said only 3 but I had to add another.)

Yet another I am slightly hesitant to admit..

Carmel 2002.

Metal. This show was action packed and just slightly bizarre. The music was awesome and some of the sound effects were great. The drill was great and the rock out part during Iron Man really got my attention. Electric Guitar FTW. Even though I have seen better shows, this show has remained a favorite of mine simply because it was very entertaining. I may be kinda harsh when it comes to technical stuff, but some shows I love on pure fact that they are entertaining.

Ronald Reagan 2002 - To this day there are still people asking how they did that "plume thing". And of course there's that section in the middle of the show where you've got a bunch of lines rotating accompanied by an old-school bass riff, then a xylophone player plays this modal scale run then out of nowhere everything stops, you hear a hard snare hit and the band just breaks down into this epic dance-and-play feature (which sounds catchy as heck).

L.D. Bell 2006 - The Youtube video has over 50,000 views now. Overrated? No....but this show redefined Marching Band as we know it.

Lassiter 2002 - Good old playing and marching.....There's props so it's not entirely without frills, but the brass-- omg it's incredible ;_; .

Those are the main 3 for me, but there's a jillion others: Westfield '04, '05....Kingwood '98 (for changing my views on Military Marching), PCEP 2001, Richland '05, '06.....Tarpon Springs 2008 may be added to the list after nationals this year though (that show is incredible!).

My Favorite Shows are:

Reagan 2005- You Never Know

WOW, I feel like I am sucked into this other world, and the first time I saw it i felt like 30min and yet i still didnt want it to end. The music is incredible, and I absolutly love the fade away ending. Just Incredible!!!

L.D. Bell- Trilogy Parts 2 and 3

I never thought i would see the day a band could put fear in me, until I saw Bell at Arlington in 06, and it truly frightened me. Following this show with the emotional Transcendents abosolutly astounded me. I never saw it live, but just watching it on You Tube makes me get chills, and during Lux it brings so many thoughts of last year when we played it at UIL, which would be one of the last few times we were under Chico Portillo's direction.

Favorite Show Marched/Performed: Carpe Noctem-Seize the Night. Absolutly amazing, it was fast, emotional, clean, we connected with the audience, and we rehearsed for our show this year at a much much higher level than any other band I have been apart of.

LOL, someone needs to chill out. I agreed with GuitarJoe, that was the best cymbal line ever. I never commented on what they look like, you started that whole bit. You jump on me and try to make me out to be some kind of perv? G.T.F.O. kthx. I know those girls from 2003 and think they were an AWESOME part of what made the band unique. I still talk to some of them today and i'm willing to bet you couldn't name one. Like I said, I see where your mind wanders to first.

I was just giving you a hard time. *innocent face*

Look, there's really no point in venturing into the details of that year. They were phenomenal, it unfortunately ended the way it did, period. Please get back on track and lets continue with the original question/topic. Thanks.

how is there no point... this is a band forum..

it might be off topic but if you're gonna' police every forum that gets off topic then you'd probably have to pay for the server yourself because every thread on this site gets off topic.

if anyone knows what happened could they pm me?

my curiosity is killing me.

it might be off topic but if you're gonna' police every forum that gets off topic then you'd probably have to pay for the server yourself because every thread on this site gets off topic.

Heheheeeee

Honestly I would just let it go. It's something that you had to experience for yourself. I doubt anyone is going to tell you.

Honestly I would just let it go. It's something that you had to experience for yourself. I doubt anyone is going to tell you.

They were just too far ahead of their time for their own good. Good idea though, let's drop it because it's only going to frustrate people that don't understand or haven't witnessed.

My Favorite Shows are:

Reagan 2005- You Never Know

WOW, I feel like I am sucked into this other world, and the first time I saw it i felt like 30min and yet i still didnt want it to end. The music is incredible, and I absolutly love the fade away ending. Just Incredible!!!

L.D. Bell- Trilogy Parts 2 and 3

I never thought i would see the day a band could put fear in me, until I saw Bell at Arlington in 06, and it truly frightened me. Following this show with the emotional Transcendents abosolutly astounded me. I never saw it live, but just watching it on You Tube makes me get chills, and during Lux it brings so many thoughts of last year when we played it at UIL, which would be one of the last few times we were under Chico Portillo's direction.

Favorite Show Marched/Performed: Carpe Noctem-Seize the Night. Absolutly amazing, it was fast, emotional, clean, we connected with the audience, and we rehearsed for our show this year at a much much higher level than any other band I have been apart of.

lol.. so obviously out of the "bell trilogy" the remaining has gotten the most votes and... with NO votes... ASCENSION... lol... not that i would vote for that either... that show was a mess. but i felt i had to mention it since all the other parts of the trilogy got some lovin' :lol:

but Remaining was hands down my fav. :)

lol.. so obviously out of the "bell trilogy" the remaining has gotten the most votes and... with NO votes... ASCENSION... lol... not that i would vote for that either... that show was a mess. but i felt i had to mention it since all the other parts of the trilogy got some lovin' :lol:

Actually I prefer the overall design of Ascension hands down over the others. That show was a masterpiece design all around, just lacked a lot of music execution. I was in the stands when that show got 3rd at nationals, the visual was out of this world good. Music was very emotional, just not performed proficiently enough.

I know right? Its easily the greatest high school show of all time. I can't believe I forgot about it

Its really shame what happened though...

I know! Such a shame.

Hehe....I wonder how many people who post comments like this really know the whole story.

I'll admit I don't know myself (though I am *this* close). The answers lie within the realm of the JRIADA. If you don't have the mettle and aren't deemed worthy by their order, the answers will forever be out of reach.

www.jriada.org

....the site you are looking at when clicking that link is where the journey begins. Confused yet? Me too.....

I wouldn't call 2005 a mess. Sure, their music execution was nowhere on par of what we expect of L.D. Bell, but darn was that show design something. The music repertoire = incredible. The drill = breathtaking. It was a beautiful show. Best overall show design I've seen on the field. And yes, this includes drum corps.

I wouldn't call 2005 a mess. Sure, their music execution was nowhere on par of what we expect of L.D. Bell, but darn was that show design something. The music repertoire = incredible. The drill = breathtaking. It was a beautiful show. Best overall show design I've seen on the field. And yes, this includes drum corps.

well goodness y'all must've seen the GOOD show.. haha... or maybe i'm just being a lil too critical because i know how much of a struggle that yr was for us. but it's obviously improved since then. :)

but i still love remaining... if i didnt make that obvious before. :) lol