LD Bell March and Play?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't believe me? Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBLp_Lhw3-4 and dispute my timings.

Preshow

0:00 - 0:35 = 0:35

0:56 - 1:06 = 0:10

Real show

1:50 - 1:54 = 0:04

2:52 - 3:50 = 0:58

5:17 - 5:20 = 0:03

5:56 - 6:22 = 0:26

7:58 - 8:40 = 0:42

8:45 - 9:01 = 0:16

Total = 2:29

Total + Preshow = 3:43

You know, i've been looking around in the "Holy Bible of Marching Band". I can't seem to find the rule that says "Thou shalt always march while playing". I'm looking hard for that hard and fast rule that must be in place, can you help me find the documentation, or are you just making up the rules as you go? :P

edit- I think it's funny how some complain about certain bands not marching and playing, but when you actually break it down with all the bands they're all pretty similar. On a side note, Bell's time looks a little shorter because they hardly march in the ballad this year compared to most. I personally wish they had a little more motion band-wise in that section, but the muscality and guard wayyyy makes up for it, at least for my entertainment value.

Edited by pokerface

You know, i've been looking around in the "Holy Bible of Marching Band". I can't seem to find the rule that says "Thou shalt always march while playing". I'm looking hard for that hard and fast rule that must be in place, can you help me find the documentation, or are you just making up the rules as you go?

edit- I think it's funny how some complain about certain bands not marching and playing, but when you actually break it down with all the bands they're all pretty similar. On a side note, Bell's time looks a little shorter because they hardly march in the ballad this year compared to most. I personally wish they had a little more motion band-wise in that section, but the muscality and guard wayyyy makes up for it, at least for my entertainment value.

I think were all talking about it from a difficulty stand point. And actually the "Holy Bible of Marching Band" written by some old Drum Corp guy that wrote a philosophy to teach any one to march says it:

if its not on the move it doesnt Count

I think were all talking about it from a difficulty stand point. And actually the "Holy Bible of Marching Band" written by some old Drum Corp guy that wrote a philosophy to teach any one to march says it:

if its not on the move it doesnt Count

Oh the irony of a drum corp fellow writing a marching band bible, haha. I agree from the difficulty standpoint and really to an entertainment standpoint. While I love the modern approach to marching band, I still crave the balls to the wall intense marching and playing for 8-10 minutes. I have an appreciation for both approaches, as long as they're done well in their respective styles!

It just a matter of perspective.

Some shows are meant for a lot of playing and marching while others aren't.

If you do a show that isn't, you just gotta make sure the parts that do move are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and that you have the music to back it all up.

This is a very good show. It's not meant to move around too much, and that's how I view it.

The L.D. Bell Blue Raider Band will be having community performances on Friday, November 7th at 9:15PM at Pennington Field, and Saturday, November 8th at 9:15PM at Pennington Field (Saturdays performance will be in full uniform).

All are invited to see, free of charge, the program of the 2008 BOA Houston Champion, BOA San Antonio Champion, UIL State Silver Medalist, and as of yet to be determined placement at BOA Grand Nationals!

Maybe you can go and ask the band directors why they don't march and play!!!!!!!

GO BELL Bring the EAGLE home again!!!!!