[Major Event] UIL State Contest

A quick comparison, and reasoning.

*Note* I'm not bashing any band, I love both schools, and I love watching these two duke it out in recent years, I'm just pointing out what I saw, and what went through my head.

The thing that got to me was that, sure Marcus was using props, but at the same time, their band didn't have nearly as many hold sets as Bell did. Marcus' music was pretty amazing hearing that clarity on the move. I loved watching the Bell band, but when I looked down i saw 5 synthesizers! Then when I looked even closer, I saw mic'd instruments within the band! When I looked at Marcus, I saw that the only mic'd instruments were the oboe, and bassoon. And you can't march those instruments. Both bands had high entertainment values, but for different reasons, for me, it looked like Bell was playing THEN marching most of their show, than marching AND playing. When Bell did play and march they had very slow easy to march tempos. Bell did have fast tempos, but on the other side of the field, the sections that were playing had either small steps, or were holding.

This must be what the judges saw, because UIL is very strict on how they judge the DIFFICULTY and how well its executed, whereas BOA wants to know how cool of a show they can execute. Don't get me wrong, UIL and BOA both judge cleanliness, but when both bands are excellently clean where do you go? In my opinion, they went to difficulty.

Congradulations to both Bell and Marcus on outstanding seasons, and I'll be rooting for Bell at Grand Nats!

:blink:

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think it should matter so much what the judges say, because we all know that its such a delicate process that we can't actually understand what is going through their heads at the time... they must have some reason for what they do and hence must be respected even if we don't agree with it... so, i think it should matter how you think you did, and if you did aamazing, well, then yes, you may be upset by what the judges thought, but does it really matter in the end???

congrats to all the bands that performed. it was a great accomplishment already getting there and extra congrats to the finalist bands!!! can't wait for two years from now!!!

Im surprising myself by saying this but I actually trust the BOA judges A LOT more than the State judges now. With us being a "UIL" band and getting fourth while going to the BOA super regional and getting third is shocking to me. I figured that the top three would be the same. Where did coppel come from? We smoked them at the Arlington regional. Not trying to start an argument or anything but the judging really needs to be looked at. We feel like we were a top 3 band and with scores "3,4,5,6,7" it just couldnt happen, its all messed up.

Just goes along with what the past 4 years have been for me.

This post is kind of annoying considering all the success you have had. Nothing seems to be good enough? 4th place in 5a state? That is not bad at all. Your 4 years have been phenomenal if you are basing it on the fact of placements. You had a couple of "bad" placements here and there but over all you were EXTREMELY successful and you should be happy about that. But instead you complain about being 4th in the STATE. I'm sorry but I just can't understand how selfish some people can be. You aren't the only person to come on here and do that either. I guess I just think that if you come from a program that always experiences success it's taints your view on things a little. I don't know maybe I am just ranting but posts like this kind of tick me off.

This post is kind of annoying considering all the success you have had. Nothing seems to be good enough? 4th place in 5a state? That is not bad at all. Your 4 years have been phenomenal if you are basing it on the fact of placements. You had a couple of "bad" placements here and there but over all you were EXTREMELY successful and you should be happy about that. But instead you complain about being 4th in the STATE. I'm sorry but I just can't understand how selfish some people can be. You aren't the only person to come on here and do that either. I guess I just think that if you come from a program that always experiences success it's taints your view on things a little. I don't know maybe I am just ranting but posts like this kind of tick me off.

Your right, I was just caught up in the moment. fourth in the state isnt bad at all. Im sorry

I'm sorry I thought everyone is entitled to their own opinion?

what dfife is getting at is you're entitled to your opinion when you know what you're talking about. and seeing as dfife knows every single move the ld bell band makes, you dont want to state your opinion unless you know exactly what you're talking bout.

just a warning for the future

I'm sorry if some of the people from my band are seeming unappreciative. I know every person in our band is incredibly proud of how great our season is. I know I am, and I just want to say congrats to all the other bands. Ya'll did great!

i liked y'alls show this yr. i saw it at BOA saturday. congrats for then and state

what dfife is getting at is you're entitled to your opinion when you know what you're talking about. and seeing as dfife knows every single move the ld bell band makes, you dont want to state your opinion unless you know exactly what you're talking bout.

just a warning for the future

All they did was point out what they saw. And he pointed out the one thing they were mistaken about. Obviously everything else was fact or he would have said something...

Edited by treblemaker

All they did was point out what they saw. And he pointed out the one thing they were mistaken about. Obviously everything else was fact or he would have said something...

he didnt say something because it's true. you might think it's true along with other people. but being involved with the bell band, everyone is told not to go onto these posting your opinion or bashing other bands... sooo theres a possibility he just kept his mouth shut out of respect for the band

IN MY OPINION.. i dont agree with the comment about the about being judged on difficulty. I believe, from the few times i've seen marcus' and bell's shows, they're at least equally as difficult. like i said, its just my opinion.

Edited by TXBandNerd07

he didnt say something because it's true. maybe it is, maybe it isnt. but being involved with the bell band, everyone is told not to go onto these posting your opinion or bashing other bands... sooo maybe theres a possibility he just kept his mouth shut for the sake of the band.

IN MY OPINION.. i dont agree with the comment about the about being judged on difficulty. I believe, from the few times i've seen marcus' and bell's shows, they're at least equally as difficult. like i said, its just my opinion.

Isn't the first amendment great? :D

Im surprising myself by saying this but I actually trust the BOA judges A LOT more than the State judges now. With us being a "UIL" band and getting fourth while going to the BOA super regional and getting third is shocking to me. I figured that the top three would be the same. Where did coppel come from? We smoked them at the Arlington regional. Not trying to start an argument or anything but the judging really needs to be looked at. We feel like we were a top 3 band and with scores "3,4,5,6,7" it just couldnt happen, its all messed up.

Just goes along with what the past 4 years have been for me.

Just some quick points.. At BOA our show was about 75% complete and the color guard didn't have flag work for the last 2 movements. Those factors could have attribute to your band 'smoking' us at that show. Our area show was the first time our show came together and we finished first in that. All I add is keep striving to reach the level of Marcus. Once your school is there then the 'judging' digression will not be a factor.

Just some quick points.. At BOA our show was about 75% complete and the color guard didn't have flag work for the last 2 movements. Those factors could have attribute to your band 'smoking' us at that show. Our area show was the first time our show came together and we finished first in that. All I add is keep striving to reach the level of Marcus. Once your school is there then the 'judging' digression will not be a factor.

i like coppell's band. not necessarily their shows but from what i've seen in the past i've always remembered coppell as march very clean. they may not be the best but at least their marchings good.(from what i've seen lol)

How is that funny?

I think it sucks that Reagan isnt a big competing band anymore. they didnt even make state and they placed last in finals at BOA sa. guess thats what happens when your school splits and director leaves.. hope they get back up there. they use to be one of bell's biggest competitions when i was at Bell. and so was churchill... apparently now thats changed to marcus over the past few yrs